Cobb Salad – A delicious salad recipe that’s fresh, flavorful and full of your favorite toppings! Makes the perfect lunch or dinner any day of the week. This cobb salad recipe is a staple at our house!
Cobb salad recipe
I love a good classic cobb salad! It’s one of my favorite lunches and I make one at least once a week! Whenever I have leftover chicken in the fridge, I typically will make this cobb salad. It is so good and easy! Since it’s summer time I added some grilled corn into mine, but you definitely could leave that out if you prefer. I love the added crunch it gives though. You could also add croutons for a small crunch, too. The more fix in’s, the better in my opinion!
Cobb salad ingredients
The best part about a cobb salad is that you can add all of your favorite ingredients and leave out what you don’t like. Below are my favorites to add in.
Mixed greens: Any mixed greens will work in this recipe. Try romaine, spinach or a spring mix.
Chicken: I cooked my chicken on the skillet, however feel free to bake or grill it if preferred. You can also use rotisserie or shredded chicken to make it easier.
Bacon: I love the addition of bacon to a cobb salad. You can substitute for turkey bacon if desired.
Tomatoes: I used sliced cherry tomatoes, but any kind would work.
Corn: Corn adds a great crunch to this cobb salad recipe. I like to grill my corn for added flavor, but you can also microwave it as well.
Avocados: I like to dice up one whole avocado using my avocado peeler. Helps speed up the process and is super easy!
Egg: Not only are hard boiled eggs yummy, but I also like the addition of the added protein.
Optional add ins: Cheddar, feta, blue or roquefort cheese
Cobb salad dressing
I love making a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing for this salad, but you’re welcome to use your favorite store bought as well.
For homemade ranch dressing, you’ll need:
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
What is the difference between a chef and a Cobb salad?
Although the two salads are somewhat similar, there is a difference between a chef and a cobb salad. Both salads typically include lettuce, cheese, a hard boiled egg and meats, however a cobb salad includes the addition of avocado and tomatoes. Both are delicious, however the cobb salad recipe just includes a couple of extra yummy ingredients. :)
Cobb Salad Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in half horizontally)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups romaine lettuce (spinach or spring mix)
- 1 cup corn
- 2 tomatoes (sliced or diced)
- 1 avocado (sliced or diced)
- 2 boiled eggs (sliced or diced)
- 4 strips of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1/4 cup green onion (sliced thin)
For serving: Ranch dressing (or your favorite dressing)
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through the center.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and slice into thin strips once slightly cooled.
- Layer the lettuce in one large bowl, or 4 individual bowls. Top with chicken, tomatoes, avocado, eggs, bacon and onion. Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad and toss until combined. S&P, to taste.