A hearty chopped BBQ chicken salad tossed with fresh greens, BBQ chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, tortilla strips and a delicious cilantro lime dressing. My absolute favorite salad!
Family-favorite salad recipe
This BBQ chicken salad is my family’s all-time favorite salad recipe. We could eat it every single day! It’s so easy to put together and tastes GREAT as leftovers too. Seriously so delicious.
It’s made with lettuce, BBQ chicken and black bean salsa and is topped with a creamy cilantro lime dressing. The flavors are fantastic and will turn anyone into a salad lover! It’s definitely a staple in our weekly menu and is a recipe my whole family would eat again and again.
BBQ chicken in crockpot
The beauty of this recipe is that the crockpot BBQ chicken cooks on low all day in the slow cooker. You only need two ingredients to make it: BBQ sauce and chicken breasts. Just throw them both in the crockpot and cook on low for about 6 hours. Then when dinnertime rolls around, all you have to do is shred the meat and it’s ready to go. You could also make baked BBQ chicken if you’d rather use the oven instead of the slow cooker.
Cilantro lime dressing
The cilantro lime dressing may be my favorite part about this dish. The fresh flavors pair perfectly with the salad and really help to round out the recipe. Simply combine the ranch dressing, cilantro, lime and a tomatillo in a blender. You can even throw in half of a jalapeno if you like spice. Then blend until smooth. I’d recommend refrigerating the dressing for at least 30 minutes prior to serving, so the flavors have time to meld together and the consistency thickens up.
Tips + substitutions
- Chicken: I love making this crockpot BBQ chicken. It’s super easy and we always have leftovers. You can also make baked BBQ chicken, or even shred a rotisserie chicken and mix together with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Grilled corn: For another layer of flavor, use grilled corn in the black bean salsa. It gives it a nice charred taste.
- Extra toppings: Fresh homemade guacamole, diced tomatoes, cheese or chopped jalapeno would all be delicious additions.
- Homemade tortilla strips. Easily make your own homemade tortilla strips if you don’t have any on hand. All you need is flour tortillas and oil!
- Dressing: You can also use ranch, avocado lime dressing or salsa ranch dressing.
More easy salad recipes:
BBQ Chicken Salad
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot over low heat. Pour BBQ sauce over the chicken. If I have onions on hand, I will put a few slices on top of the chicken. Cook for 6 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily. Can also cook on high for 3-4 hours. Shred chicken and remove any fat.
- For the dressing: Combine ranch dressing, cilantro, lime and tomatillo in a blender or food processor. If you like it spicy, you could throw half a jalapeno in there. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place desired amount of lettuce on your plate. Then add a few spoonfuls of chicken and black bean salsa. Pour on dressing and top with tortilla strips.