This Mediterranean salad with creamy balsamic dressing is full of greens, protein and flavor! Comes together super quickly and tastes so fresh and delicious. Plus it’s healthier than most restaurants, too!
Whenever I’m craving a healthy and flavorful salad, this recipe is always top of mind. It’s loaded with all of my favorite ingredients and is so easy to make. I also like to make a big chopped salad or Italian salad.
One of my favorite salads to order when we lived in Ohio was from a cute little Greek restaurant downtown. It was called the ‘Mediterranean junk salad’ and was seriously amazing! I’ve been craving it the past couple of weeks and decided to make my own version at home. The original has half chicken and half gyro meat, but I decided to do all chicken in mine to simplify it.
This Mediterranean salad is full of greens, protein and flavor! I love adding pita chips to the top to give it a little crunch. It comes together super quickly and tastes so fresh and delicious. Plus the homemade creamy balsamic dressing adds the perfect touch of sweetness. So easy, yummy and healthier than most restaurants, too! :)
Creamy balsamic dressing
The creamy balsamic dressing is what makes this salad so delicious! It is one of my favorite salad dressings and pairs perfectly with the flavors in this Mediterranean salad. You can also use a traditional balsamic dressing (without the mayo/yogurt) as well.
- Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Maple syrup
Instructions: Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
Assembling the salad
Before assembling the salad, you’ll want to cook the chicken and make the dressing. Once both are ready, layer the ingredients into 1 large bowl or 4 individual-sized bowls in the following order:
- Place lettuce in the bottom of the bowl.
- Add sliced grilled chicken on top.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, feta and parsley.
- Add chickpeas and crushed pita chips if desired.
- Drizzle balsamic dressing on top and toss until combined.
- I cooked my chicken in the skillet, but you could easily use baked or grilled chicken. Rotisserie also works great.
- Feel free to mix in more toppings like black olives, banana peppers or avocado. You could even add a dollop of hummus, tzatziki or dill dip.
- You could use store bought balsamic if preferred. Greek dressing or a classic vinaigrette would also taste delicious.
- I like to use romaine lettuce, but you could swap with spring mix, kale, spinach, arugula or whatever you have on hand.
More salad recipes:
Mediterranean Salad Recipe
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut in half horizontally)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups romaine lettuce (spinach or spring mix)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced or diced)
- 1 cucumber (chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced or diced)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup mayo (or plain greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (or honey)
S&P, to taste
Optional: Chickpeas, pita chips
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through the center.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and slice into thin strips once slightly cooled.
- Combine the mayo, greek yogurt, oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and maple syrup in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Layer the lettuce in one large bowl, or 4 individual bowls. Top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta and parsley. Add chickpeas and pita chips if desired. Drizzle over the dressing over the top of the salad and toss until combined.