Mediterranean Salad with a Creamy Balsamic Dressing – Full of greens, protein and flavor! Comes together super quickly and tastes so fresh and delicious. Plus it’s healthier than most restaurants, too!
During the summer, we love to make all types of fresh and flavorful salads. This Mediterranean Salad is one of our favorites, along with my easy BBQ chicken salad and sweet mandarin salad with oranges.
One of my favorite salads to order when we lived in Ohio was from a cute little Greek restaurant downtown. It was called the ‘Mediterranean junk salad’ and was seriously amazing! I’ve been craving it the past couple of weeks ever since we moved to Oregon and decided to make my own version at home. The original has half chicken and half gyro meat, but I decided to do all chicken in mine to simplify it.
This Mediterranean salad is full of greens, protein and flavor! I love adding pita chips to the top to give it a little crunch. It comes together super quickly and tastes so fresh and delicious. Plus the homemade creamy balsamic dressing adds the perfect touch of sweetness. So easy, yummy and healthier than most restaurants, too! :)
Creamy balsamic dressing
The creamy balsamic dressing is what makes this salad so delicious! It is one of my favorite salad dressings and pairs perfectly with this Mediterranean salad. Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the mayo, oil, vinegar, garlic and honey in a small bowl.
- Whisk until combined.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
Quick tips about this Mediterranean salad recipe
- Want to add more toppings? Try mixing in some olives, banana peppers or avocado. You could even add a dollop of hummus, tzatziki or dill dip.
- To lighten up the creamy balsamic dressing, you can use Greek yogurt instead of mayo.
- Although I love the homemade creamy balsamic dressing, you could use store bought too. Greek dressing or even oil and vinegar would be delicious also.
- I cooked my chicken breast in the skillet, but you could easily grill or bake it if preferred.
- Instead of adding chicken strips, you could add a Greek chicken burger as your protein. It would taste just as delicious!
- Have leftovers? Try adding in some cooked pasta or quinoa to turn this Mediterranean salad recipe into a pasta salad.
- I like to use romaine lettuce, but you could swap with spring mix, kale, spinach, arugula or whatever you have on hand.
Love this Mediterranean chopped salad? You’ll like these other yummy salad recipes too:
- Strawberry burrata salad with a poppyseed dressing
- Mandarin orange salad
- Buffalo chicken cobb salad
- BBQ chicken salad
Mediterranean Salad Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in half horizontally)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups romaine lettuce (spinach or spring mix)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced or diced)
- 1 cucumber (chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced or diced)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup mayo (or plain greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (or honey)
S&P, to taste
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through the center.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and slice into thin strips once slightly cooled.
- Combine the mayo, greek yogurt, oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Layer the lettuce in one large bowl, or 4 individual bowls. Top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta and parsley. Drizzle over the dressing over the top of the salad and toss until combined.