This ultimate chicken salad recipe made with a creamy dressing, grapes and cashews for a twist on the classic. It’s easy to make and great for meal prep!
Table of Contents
Best Chicken Salad Recipe
Chicken salad is one of my all-time favorites. There are so many different ingredients you can add or swap to personalize them to your taste. You can even make a slow cooker chicken salad if you have a busy day ahead.
I use a combination of both mayo and Greek yogurt in this for the perfect taste and a touch of brown sugar adds sweetness. Dill adds fresh flavor and grapes add crunch!
Chicken Salad Ingredients
This chicken salad comes together in a quick stir with a delicious secret ingredient. You will love the tangy, sweet, and fresh taste!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Greek yogurt: I’m not a fan of chicken salad that’s too mayonnaise-forward. That’s why I use a combination of both mayo and Greek yogurt to help lighten it up.
- Brown sugar: I add a little light brown sugar to give it a hint of sweetness. You don’t need a large amount…only a Tablespoon.
- Dill: Fresh dill makes everything better and that’s no exception in this recipe. It takes the flavor up a notch.
- Cashews: Cashews are great for an added crunch. Other nuts would taste great too, but cashews are my favorite.
Substitutions and Variations
This chicken salad recipe is so easy to make but can have some modifications to accommodate each person.
- You can sub mayo for the Greek yogurt, however, I prefer the lightness the yogurt adds.
- Add some green onion or diced red onion to add more savory taste.
- Make it into a Waldorf salad version by using walnuts instead of cashews and add in apples. Then serve in a lettuce cup.
- Other mix-ins that you could add or dried cranberries, chopped hard boiled eggs, pickles or even olives.
How to Make Easy Chicken Salad
Take this special ingredient and create one of the best chicken salads with a crunchy texture, tender chicken, and sweet grapes. All combined you have an amazing salad dish that is perfect for sandwiches, wraps, or tortillas.
- Stir. Combine the mayo, yogurt, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add. Then stir in the chopped green onions, brown sugar, dill, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Mix. Pour the creamy mixture into the rotisserie chicken, celery, grapes, and cashews. Stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
- Chill. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. Remove and add more seasonings to taste.
Follow these helpful tips create the best chicken salad!
- Buy grapes that are firm to the touch. They will hold up best when mixed in and still have that delicious crisp bite.
- Use a large bowl to mix the ingredients to ensure that the dressing coats every piece of the salad.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. This helps the flavors meld together and shine through.
- This mixture tastes best served on the first day.
Ways to Serve
My favorite way to eat this chicken salad recipe is on a croissant, but you can also stuff it in a tortilla or pita bread, place it in a lettuce cup or spread it on top of crackers for a yummy snack.
- Make a chicken salad sandwich
- With homemade white bread or whole-wheat bread
- Place in a lettuce wrap
- Stuff it in naan, a flour tortilla or pita bread
- Spread on top of crackers
- On a bed of spinach or spring mix
5 star review
“This is an absolute favorite at my house. Light and so delicious no matter how you are eating it”-Erica
Seasoning or sauces can make an additional change to the chicken salad recipe to
Using the chicken salad as a main dish with a croissant, sandwich bread, tortilla, or lettuce wrapped around can have baked chips or even skinny fries.
Being careful when enjoying chicken salad mixture is a MUST! You do not want it to sit out too long and spoil. Keeping the salad mixture cold is best. If you are serving it at a party, try placing the bowl or container it is stored in over ice. Refrigerate as soon as you are done serving, especially during the warmer months. The bacteria can grow to begin the process once the heat reaches the yogurt mixture.
Storing + Making Ahead
Store this chicken salad mixture in an airtight container or glass bowl with a lid in the refrigerator for three to four days long. Try not to leave the salad out too long, as it will spoil. This is a great salad to make ahead for parties or get-togethers.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Chicken Salad Recipe
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons green onions , chopped thin
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill , minced
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken , I use rotisserie
- 1 cup celery , chopped
- 1 cup red grapes , quartered (firm grapes work best)
- ¼ cup cashews , quartered, or slivered almonds
For serving: Lettuce cups, croissant or bread, crackers
- In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, yogurt and lemon juice. Stir in green onions, brown sugar, fresh dill, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper until combined.
- Next, stir in the chicken, celery, grapes and cashews until it is evenly coated. Store in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or until ready to serve. Add more dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the mixture on bread, lettuce cups or dip in crackers.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!