This chicken salad recipe is so flavorful and tastes amazing! Try it on a croissant, in a lettuce cup, spread on top of crackers or stuffed in a pita or tortilla.
Chicken salad is one of my all-time favorites. There are so many different ingredients you can add in or swap to personalize it to your taste. You can even make a slow cooker version if you have a busy day ahead.
Chicken salad sandwiches are one of my favorite dishes to make for a bridal or baby shower. They are always a crowd-pleaser and have people going back for seconds! I’ve tried some that are boring and flavorless, but this recipe is far from that. The combination of textures and flavors are irresistible.
I don’t love when the mayo in the dressing is overpowering, so I’ve used a combination of both mayo and Greek yogurt to lighten it up a bit. The brown sugar in the dressing gives the recipe a touch of sweetness and the dill adds the perfect fresh flavor. Don’t forget to add crisp, fresh grapes to give it an extra crunch!
My secret ingredients
- Greek yogurt: I’m not a fan of chicken salad that’s too mayonnaise forward. That’s why I use a combination of both mayo and Greek yogurt to help lighten it up.
- Brown sugar: I add a little light brown sugar to give it a hint of sweetness. You don’t need a large amount…only a Tablespoon.
- Dill: Fresh dill makes everything better and that’s no exception in this recipe. It takes the flavor up a notch.
- Cashews: Cashews are great for an added crunch. Other nuts would taste great too, but cashews are my favorite.
How to make easy chicken salad
STIR. Combine the mayo, yogurt and lemon juice in a large bowl. Then stir in the chopped green onions, brown sugar, dill, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Next add in the chicken, celery, grapes and cashews. Stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
CHILL. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. Remove and add more seasonings to taste.
Ways to serve
My favorite way to eat this chicken salad recipe is on a croissant, but you can also stuff it in a tortilla or pita bread, place it in a lettuce cup or spread it on top of crackers for a yummy snack.
- Make a chicken salad croissant sandwich
- With white or whole wheat bread
- Place in a lettuce wrap
- Stuff it in a tortilla or pita bread
- Spread on top of crackers
- On a bed of spinach or spring mix
Tips + modifications
- Buy grapes that are firm to the touch. They will hold up best when mixed in and still have that delicious crisp bite.
- You can sub mayo for the Greek yogurt, however I prefer the lightness the yogurt adds.
- Make into a waldorf version by using walnuts instead of cashews and add in apples. Then serve in a lettuce cup.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes prior to serving. This helps the flavors meld together and shine through.
- This mixture tastes best served the first day.
More recipes you’ll love:
Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons green onions , chopped thin
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken , I use rotisserie
- 1 cup celery , chopped
- 1 cup red grapes , quartered (firm grapes work best)
- 1/4 cup cashews , quartered, or slivered almonds
For serving: Lettuce cups, croissant or bread, crackers
- In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, yogurt and lemon juice. Stir in green onions, brown sugar, fresh dill, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper until combined.
- Next, stir in the chicken, celery, grapes and cashews until it is evenly coated. Store in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or until ready to serve. Add more dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the mixture on bread, lettuce cups or dip in crackers.