A delicious seafood recipe cooked in a tomato-based broth with potatoes. This slow cooker seafood stew is comforting and is an easy to make dinner recipe!
When it comes to comfort food, a hearty soup or stew always does the trick. You just can’t beat a warm bowl of flavorful soup. We love this seafood stew, as well as my hearty vegetable soup, corn chowder and Mexican chicken soup.
Don’t you just love how easy and delicious slow cooker meals can be? They are great for busy weeknights and long weekends. This slow cooker seafood stew is a delicate, rich stew that is easy to prep and is a healthy dinner option. It’s a perfect recipe for spring and summer!
I must admit, we don’t get a lot of fresh seafood here. So, eating shellfish is always a treat. The great thing about this slow cooker seafood stew recipe is that you can use frozen shellfish and just thaw it out. That way no matter where you live you can enjoy a delicious seafood recipe.
The tomato-based broth in this seafood stew is so tasty and full of amazing flavors. It’s a great base to start off with in this seafood recipe. Also, I like to use fresh vegetables whenever I can and they are perfect in this slow cooker stew.
Prep time for the recipe is very minimal. You will need a few minutes to chop the fresh vegetables and thaw the seafood if you are using frozen shellfish. Other than a few easy steps to get started, that’s pretty much it. You just set it and forget!
Type of seafood to use
For my seafood stew recipe, I am using large deveined shrimp and large scallops. I leave the shells on the shrimp during the cooking process because that’s where a lot of the flavor comes from. Just make sure to remove the shells and tails before eating.
You could add lobster and crab if you desire. I recommended using any two pounds of seafood you would like for this stew.
The great thing about stew recipes is that you can modify the ingredients to you likes and needs. This recipe is hearty and healthy with all the great fresh vegetables and seafood. A good loaf of crusty french bread is what you need for soaking up all that amazing broth. Yum!
How to make seafood stew in the slow cooker
- Add tomatoes, broth and spices to slow cooker. Add all the ingredients (minus the fish) in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Cook the soup. Cover with lid and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.
- Add seafood. Mix in the thawed seafood and cook on high for an additional 30-60 minutes, or until the fish is fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy! Add fresh parsley on top if desired and serve with hot french bread!
More slow cooker soups:
- Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
Slow Cooker Seafood Stew Recipe
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound yellow potatoes , cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crush red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds seafood (I used 1 pound large shrimp and 1 pound scallops)
- handful of chopped parsley
- Add all ingredients except the seafood into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add thawed seafood to slow cooker and return to high heat. Cook 30-60 minutes until seafood is fully cooked.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve hot with crusty bread.
Photography and recipe contributed by Katie from The Casual Craftlete for I Heart Naptime.