Grandma’s Ambrosia Salad – Filled with fresh coconut, pineapple, marshmallows and more. So creamy and absolutely delicious. This family favorite is one of my go-to easy fruit salad recipes!
Ambrosia Fruit Salad
This creamy fruit salad, commonly known as ambrosia salad, is so yummy and is super easy to make! It’s always a favorite whenever I bring it to a potluck. The coconut and marshmallows are what really put it over the top. So delicious!
This ambrosia salad is a family recipe that’s very dear to me. The recipe came from my Grandma and is a dish that my whole family loves, especially my Uncle Harold. He would make this ambrosia salad every time I came to visit and called it his “special dish.” We all loved it and still try to make it often. It’s now one of my kid’s favorites too! Thanks to my grandma for this delicious ambrosia salad recipe :)
Can you make ambrosia salad a day ahead?
One of the main questions I get about this ambrosia salad recipe is if you can make it a day ahead. The answer is yes! The creamy fruit salad needs to chill in the refrigerator before serving anyways, so that the salad forms and the flavors marinate together. If making a day ahead, I would just drain some of the liquid the next day and stir very well before serving. The ambrosia fruit salad will taste just as yummy and delicious!
Ways to modify ambrosia fruit salad:
You can easily modify this ambrosia salad to your liking. Try any of the different ways below!
- Not a fan of cream cheese? Substitute with sour cream instead. Or if you’re looking for a lighter version, try mixing together 8 oz cool whip with 6 oz greek yogurt.
- To add a crunch, mix in some chopped pecans
- For more fresh flavor, add in some orange zest for an extra boost
- Substitute any of the fruits included with: strawberries, seedless grapes, kiwi, bananas and more
- If you love cherries, feel free to fold in as many maraschino cherries as you’d like
Love this ambrosia fruit salad? You’ll like these other delicious recipes too:
- Key Lime Yogurt Fruit Dip
- Rainbow Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- Easy Strawberry Fruit Dip
- 3 Ingredient Funfetti Dip
- Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips
Here’s the printable ambrosia fruit salad recipe:
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened (2 bricks cream cheese; could also substitute with sour cream)
- 22 oz mandarin oranges, drained (2 cans)
- 20 oz pineapple tid bits, drained (1 can)
- 20 oz crushed pineapple, drained (1 can)
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup coconut
- In a large bowl, whip cream cheese. Then fold in oranges, pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. Place salad in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. Enjoy! :D
I hope you enjoy this ambrosia salad as much as we do! It’s the perfect Summer dessert. Super easy too, which is always a bonus! :)