These baked sweet potato fries are so easy to make and tastes absolutely DELICIOUS! Healthy, crispy and full of flavor. Makes the perfect side dish or snack!
These fries are seriously amazing and are such a delicious healthy side dish. They turned me into a sweet potato lover and now I make all types of sides with them, like roasted sweet potatoes or these savory scalloped sweet potatoes. Yum!
While I love regular french fries or potato wedges, I also love sweet potato fries! When I did a round of Whole30, I made them all the time and have loved them ever since. They make a great side to just about any main dish. Sometimes I’ll even make them for a snack. They are so crispy and are seasoned to perfection. I love to dip them in an easy fry sauce that I whip up, but there are lots of different condiment options that would taste great!
How to cut into fries
One of the main keys to making the fries crispy is to cut them into evenly sized wedges so that they all bake the same. I like to buy sweet potatoes that aren’t super curvy and are a little longer in size vertically. It makes cutting them a little easier.
- Peel the sweet potato and then cut off the ends.
- Slice in half horizontally, creating two equal-sized pieces about 3 inches long.
- Next, cut the pieces in half vertically. Once you have 4 pieces, cut each piece in half vertically again to make 8 pieces.
- Slice each piece vertically into 1/4 inch fries. Each piece should produce about 3-5 fries.
TIP: Since the sides of the potatoes are rounded, I like to slice them off vertically to flatten the surface.
Sweet potato rounds
If cutting into a fry shape sounds too intimidating, you can cut them into rounds instead. They taste just like the fries, but have a different shape. Sometimes these rounds even get a little crispier than fries since they are thinner. They almost have more of a “chip” consistency, but not quite.
Just peel the potato, cut off both ends, then cut the potato into thin, circular rounds. Place the rounds on your baking sheet and season with preferred seasonings. Bake in the oven at 415°F for 10-15 minutes, or until they reach your desired crispness. Make sure to flip them about halfway through baking.
There are so many different ways to season them! I took the classic approach in this recipe, but below are a few of my other favorites.
- Classic: Oil, kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Spicy: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika (or chili powder or chili seasoning)
- Cinnamon-sugar: Oil, kosher salt and cinnamon sugar
- Rosemary: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary
- Italian: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
How to make sweet potato fries
I love to make my own recipe because they are so much healthier than store-bought and taste even more delicious! Just follow the simple instructions below to get started.
- CUT the sweet potatoes into thin wedges, about 1/4″ x 3″ (tips for cutting above).
- PLACE the wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Toss with olive oil.
- BAKE in oven at 415°F for 15 minutes. Mix together the seasonings and sprinkle evenly over the fries. Then flip them and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crisp.
Tips for making them extra crispy
- Make sure to cut your sweet potatoes 1/4″ thick
- Soak your sweet potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes before baking (it draws out the extra starch and moisture)
- Line your pans with foil or parchment paper
- Add the fries to a bag and shake 2 teaspoons of cornstarch on top so you have a thin coating
- Use canola, grapeseed, sunflower or peanut oil for a crispier edge
- Make sure to line them in a single layer (don’t crowd the pan)
- Flip the fries half way through baking to make sure each side is evenly crisp
If you’re looking for a yummy dipping condiment, try any of the following:
Favorite main dishes to serve with:
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and washed)
- 2 Tablespoons oil (I use canola or olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika or chili powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 415°F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper. If using foil, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into thin wedges (about 1/4" x 3").
- Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Toss with olive oil. Then bake for 15 minutes. Mix together the seasonings and sprinkle evenly over the fries. Then flip them and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crisp. Enjoy fries while hot!