These baked sweet potato fries are so easy to make and tastes absolutely DELICIOUS! Healthy, crispy and full of flavor. Makes the perfect side dish or snack!
Table of Contents
My Favorite Side Dish
These fries are seriously amazing and are such a delicious healthy side dish. They turned me into a sweet potato lover and now I make all types of sides with them, like roasted sweet potatoes or these grilled sweet potato wedges. Yum!
While I love regular french fries or potato wedges, I also love sweet potato fries! When I did a round of Whole30, I made them all the time and have loved them ever since. They are a great Whole 30 recipe and can be served with just about any main dish. Sometimes I’ll even make them for a snack. They are so crispy and are seasoned to perfection. I love to dip them in an easy fry sauce that I whip up, but there are lots of different condiment options that would taste great!
How To Make Sweet Potato Fries
I love to make my own recipe because they are so much healthier than store-bought and taste even more delicious! Just follow the simple instructions below to get started.
- CUT the sweet potatoes into thin wedges, about 1/4″ x 3″ (tips for cutting below).
- PLACE the wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Toss with olive oil.
- BAKE in oven at 415°F for 15 minutes. Mix together the seasonings and sprinkle evenly over the fries. Then flip them and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crisp.
How to Cut Fries
One of the main keys to making the fries crispy is to cut them into evenly sized wedges so that they all bake the same. I like to buy sweet potatoes that aren’t super curvy and are a little longer in size vertically. It makes cutting them a little easier.
- Peel the sweet potato and then cut off the ends.
- Slice in half horizontally, creating two equal-sized pieces about 3 inches long.
- Next, cut the pieces in half vertically. Once you have 4 pieces, cut each piece in half vertically again to make 8 pieces.
- Slice each piece vertically into 1/4 inch fries. Each piece should produce about 3-5 fries.
TIP: Since the sides of the potatoes are rounded, I like to slice them off vertically to flatten the surface.
There are so many different ways to season them! I took the classic approach in this recipe, but below are a few of my other favorites.
- Classic: Oil, kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Spicy: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika (or chili powder or chili seasoning)
- Cinnamon-sugar: Oil, kosher salt and cinnamon sugar
- Rosemary: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary
- Italian: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
Tips for Making Fries Extra Crispy
- Cut – Make sure to cut your sweet potatoes 1/4″ thick.
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes – This is my favorite way to cook these fries, you will just need to cook in 2 to 3 batches. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F. Cook for about 12 minutes (turning half way) or until crisp.
- Soak – If you have extra time you can soak your sweet potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes before baking (it draws out the extra starch and moisture).
- Coat – Add the fries to a bag and shake 2 teaspoons of cornstarch on top so you have a thin coating.
- Oil – Use canola, grapeseed, sunflower or peanut oil for a crispier edge.
- Extra tip – Make sure to line them in a single layer (don’t crowd the pan). Flip the fries half way through baking to make sure each side is evenly crisp.
If you’re looking for a yummy dipping condiment, try any of the following:
- fry sauce
- ranch dressing
- honey mustard sauce
- garlic aioli
- BBQ sauce
- burger sauce
- buffalo sauce
5 star review
“This recipe is absolutely amazing and super delicious 🤤… the best healthy snack in my opinion!!!”-Susue
Try this recipe for best twice baked potatoes, too! It’s another favorite that doubles as a snack or side dish.
Favorite Main Dishes to Serve with
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into thin wedges (about 1/4" x 3")
- 2 Tablespoons oil (I use canola or olive oil)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika or chili powder , optional
- Preheat the oven to 415°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. If using foil, lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. If making extra crispy fries, first follow instructions in notes. Then place sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Toss fries with oil. Mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika, and sprinkle evenly over the fries. Bake 15 minutes. Flip them and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- Serve fries while hot! These are best served right away. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!