These slow cooker Hawaiian meatballs take only 3 ingredients and 5 minutes to make! So easy and always a crowd pleaser. Makes the perfect appetizer or main dish.
Tangy Meatball Recipe
I’m super excited to share another variation of my grandpa’s famous slow cooker meatballs. These Hawaiian meatballs (also know as sweet and sour meatballs) are very similar to my grape jelly BBQ meatballs, however I used pineapple juice instead of grape jelly to give them more of a Hawaiian flavor.
The taste of the sweet and sour meatball sauce is SO delicious! It’s tangy, rich and seriously addicting. The BBQ sauce does give them a little kick, but they are still pretty mild with lots of flavor.
We love to serve them over rice topped with green onions for a main dish, however you can eat them plain as well. They are one of our favorite Hawaiian appetizers and are always on the menu whenever there is a big game.
These sweet and sour meatballs only require 3 simple ingredients and are prepped in just 5 minutes! My kind of recipe. :) I used a can of pineapple that I had on hand, but you could use fresh pineapple if you prefer. You could also use homemade meatballs as well if you’d rather not use frozen. Sometimes I’ll use turkey meatballs or chicken meatballs if I want to keep them on the lighter side.
- Frozen meatballs
- BBQ sauce
- Can of pineapple
How to make Hawaiian meatballs
Seriously…these are so easy to make! It will literally take you less than 5 minutes to put everything in the slow cooker. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker and pour BBQ sauce on top. Then add sliced pineapple and pineapple juice.
- Cook for 2 to 3 hours on high.
- Top with more pineapple and sliced green onions if desired.
TIP: We love keeping a big bag of frozen meatballs in the freezer, as well as BBQ sauce and canned pineapple in the pantry so we can make these whenever we need a last minute dinner.
Do I need to defrost meatballs before cooking?
No! That’s the beauty of this recipe. Just add the frozen meatballs to your crockpot and they will cook up perfectly in the slow cooker. :) Doesn’t get easier than that!
Can you double the recipe?
Sure. If doubling, use 50 meatballs, 2 cups BBQ sauce and 2 cans of sliced pineapple. I would also cook them around 3 hours, until they are tender and warm throughout. If you are tripling the recipe for a super large crowd, I’d recommend using 2 slow cookers.
Ways to serve
These sweet and sour meatballs aren’t just an appetizer! They make a delicious 5-ingredient crockpot meal as well…there are so many ways to serve them! Below are a few of our favorites.
- Place toothpicks in the top to make a fun appetizer.
- Serve over rice, coconut rice or cooked noodles.
- Serve in a roll to make a mini slider.
- Sandwich between french bread to make a Hawaiian meatball hoagie.
- Serve directly out of the slow cooker for parties.
- Serve with sliced green onions and sesame seeds to dress them up.
- Feel free to add more veggies too, like green/red bell peppers or onions.
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs
- 25 frozen meatballs
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 8 ounce can sliced or diced pineapple
For serving: rice, sliced green onion
- Add the meatballs to the slow cooker. Pour the BBQ sauce over the top. Then add the sliced pineapple on top and pour the juice over. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Enjoy as an appetizer or serve over rice for a main dish. Top with sliced green onions and pineapple if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!