Flaky pie crust topped with layers of cheesecake, apple pie filling, and an amazing streusel topping. This apple pie cheesecake will become your favorite fall dessert!
Table of Contents
Cheesecake + Apple Pie
This delicious dessert is what dreams are made of. Imagine an apple crisp, apple pie and cheesecake all combined into one. Then topped with salted caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. Take one bite and you’ll be hooked!
When fall arrives, my favorite thing to do is to go apple picking. We make tons of easy recipes with the fresh apples we pick, like apple sauce and apple chips…and of course make yummy apple desserts like the one below.
This apple pie cheesecake is pure heaven. It’s filled with layers of flaky crust, cheesecake, and apple filling and then topped with a delicious streusel topping. It would be the perfect pie for Thanksgiving, or anytime during the holidays. Enjoy! :)
With simple and seasonal ingredients, you can have a wow-worthy dessert perfect for a fall day! Apple pie cheesecake is the best combination of sweet and savory in each bite.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Pie crust: I love using a homemade pie crust for this dessert, but a store-bought one works just as well. You don’t need a springform pan for this cheesecake. Use a regular-sized pie pan. For an even lighter crust, crush graham cracker crumbs and make a graham cracker crust with melted butter.
- Apple pie filling: You can always use a store-bought can, but this homemade apple pie filling is so yummy and I definitely recommend trying it.
- Cream cheese: The key component to any good cheesecake.
- Sugar: A little sweetness to cut through the creaminess.
- Egg: This is what binds together the cheesecake.
- Oats: I use quick-cooking oats for this topping as I find the texture works well.
- Flour: All-purpose flour gives the topping a bit more chew.
- Spices: I use cinnamon and nutmeg, but apple pie spice would also be just as nice.
- Brown sugar: I love the depth of flavor light brown sugar adds to the topping.
4 Delicious Layers
This is the perfect four-layered dessert! Start with a flakey crust, creamy cheesecake filling is layered then an apple pie filling on top of that, lastly add a streusel topping for the best apple pie cheesecake combination! Each layer blends together with the next!
- Crust: The dessert starts out with a flaky and delicious crust. I love making an easy homemade pie crust, but you can also use premade pie dough from the grocery store.
- Cheesecake: Next comes the creamy cheesecake layer made with a simple mixture of cream cheese, sugar, and an egg. The cheesecake batter is thick and creamy when you blend it together. There should not be any lumps.
- Pie filling: This is where the fresh apples come in handy. Use them to make a delicious apple pie filling. You could use store-bought pie filling too, but I think nothing beats the homemade version.
- Streusel topping: This is topped off with a delicious streusel topping made with oats, flour, butter, sugar, and spices.
Add any of the below toppings to really take this dessert over the top! Drizzle your favorite caramel sauce or add a scoop of ice cream or a squirt of whipped cream and caramel sauce. The options are endless!
- Caramel sauce: Drizzle your favorite caramel sauce overtop and for a caramel apple cheesecake dessert. Your friends and family will be raving about this dessert!
- Vanilla ice cream: You can’t go wrong with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of this apple pie cheesecake! They are both chilled and give a refreshing flavor to the fall dessert.
- Whipped cream: It is always a delicious option and so simple to add to any dessert. Whipped cream is light and flavorful and the perfect way to give a boost of sweetness to this apple pie cheesecake.
How to Make Apple Pie Cheesecake
This apple pie cheesecake recipe definitely takes a little more time than your typical apple pie, but it is worth it. Promise! Just follow these simple steps.
- Crumb topping. Mix together the topping ingredients with a fork. This apple crumble topping is a hit and so simple to mix together.
- Crust. Place the dough onto a 9″ pie pan and fold the edges under to crimp them. Refrigerate the crust while you make the other layers.
- Cheesecake. Using a bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Then beat in the egg. Pour and spread the cheesecake filling onto the prepared dough.
- Filling. Then gently spoon the apple filling on top of the cheesecake layer. I suggest making the filling the night before, so it has time to set overnight. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake. Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about an hour. Then place in the refrigerator until it is completely chilled and ready to serve. You can cover it with aluminum foil or plastic wrap when storing it.
For this recipe, I like to use a variation of apples we pick at the orchard. Here are a few of my favorites when baking apple desserts: Granny Smith apples Honeycrisp, Jonathans, Melrose, and Fuji.
Definitely! Swap out the oats and flour for gluten-free versions, and replace the pie crust with a gluten-free crust. Bob’s Red Mill makes a gluten-free pie mix you can use to make your own crust at home.
Yes! If you would like to use a graham cracker crust that will be best for a springform pan. If you are using a homemade or store-bought crust then it is best to use a pie pan.
5 star review
“So incredibly scrumptious! The layers of deliciousness in this are just absolutely incredible! A perfect autumn dessert!”– Betsy
Storing and Making Ahead
This apple pie cheesecake is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time and store. Make the layers individually and then layer the ingredients together when ready to chill. Place the pie pan in the refrigerator covered for two to three days. Serve it chilled with your favorite toppings!
More Delicious Fall Desserts
Apple Pie Cheesecake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup light brown sugar , packed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter , melted
- 1 homemade or store-bought pie crust
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese , at room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups apple pie filling , see note (make the night before or use store bought)
For serving: Vanilla ice cream and Caramel sauce, optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter with a fork until well combined and crumbly. Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pie dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the edges of the dough under and crimp them. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Mix in the egg. Spread the cheesecake onto the prepared crust.
- Gently spoon the apple filling on top of the cheesecake filling. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Let cool for 1 hour at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator to chill completely. Top with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce to serve, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!