A flavorful blue cheese dressing ready in just 5 minutes! Enjoy this creamy, tangy lighter version made with Greek yogurt or stick with the traditional sour cream! Perfect as a salad dressing or a dip!
There is a special cooling effect that blue cheese dressing has which is why it pairs so nicely as a dip for buffalo chicken meatballs. Of course, it’s also the classic dressing for the best wedge salad recipe!
Blue cheese salad dressing is a very popular condiment that goes with everything from a dip for baked chicken wings, carrot sticks, and pizza crusts to dressing all kinds of salads and fancying up a chicken dish. The pungent sharpness of the cheese gives the creamy texture a nice flavor balance.
The elephant in the room is that there are many people who don’t love blue cheese. And I get it. It’s strong and pungent and it’s not the prettiest looking cheese. But I promise you, it’s one of those “how have I never tried this before?!” type of foods. If you’ve had blue cheese salad dressing from a bottle and didn’t think it was fantastic, it doesn’t compare to this made from scratch version. It is so much better and so easy to make!
For the lovers of all things blue cheese as well as the fence-sitters, make this homemade dressing recipe and keep it on hand for your next pizza and wing night or the next time you make a big salad for lunch. Once you do, there’s a good chance you’ll fall in love!
How to make blue cheese dressing
- Combine. Combine the plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), mayo, blue cheese crumbles, vinegar or lemon juice, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Add more lemon juice or vinegar to taste, depending on how tart you like your dressing. Mix to blend the flavors. You can also add a Tablespoon of milk if you find it is too thick to use as a pourable dressing.
- Pour. You can use it immediately, however, it’s even better once it’s been kept in the fridge for at least a few hours. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge in a mason jar with a lid until ready to use within a week.
Pro Tip: The recipe yields the amount perfect for 1 big salad or 4 wedge salads. Double the batch for more if you’re serving a crowd.
Tips for success
- Use fresh. Use blue cheese from the deli counter and crumble it yourself. Buying pre-packaged crumbled cheese comes with extra additives and preservatives that may change the texture and flavor of your dressing. If you’re in a pinch and that’s all you can find, by all means, use it. But if you don’t have to, get the fresh stuff!
- As a dip. Leave a bowl out with a plate of fresh veggies and serve a veggie and dip platter your kids will love!
- Types of cheese. There are many types of blue cheese but the most budget-friendly and tasty one is Gorgonzola. Others are Roquefort, Cabrales, or Stilton. Each has its own unique flavors but each will result in a delicious dressing.
This dressing will last in the fridge for up to a week, in a jar covered. Because of the cheese and dairy, it’s best to use it within the first few days.
More ways to use it:
- To make buffalo chicken dip
- As a dip with jalapeno poppers
- Over a cobb salad or steak salad
- To make buffalo chicken pasta salad
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1-2 Tablespoons mayo
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1-2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Milk as needed to thin out, S&P to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a Tablespoon of milk if needed to thin it out.
- Pour into a mason jar and store with the lid on in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.