A refreshing and delicious summer ice cream cake that’s perfect for birthdays, graduations and more. Made with only 5 ingredients and so simple to whip up!
Table of Contents
Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe
What can be better than a dessert with both ice cream AND cake! They are two of my favorites and when combined, make a truly incredible treat. This easy recipe has the best of both worlds and tastes amazing! It’s refreshing, has great flavor and is simple to make. You can’t beat it!
There’s nothing better than ice cream cake to celebrate a hot summer birthday. It’s super refreshing and is always loved by all. This recipe is a spin off from my famous Oreo ice cream cake. However instead of using ice cream sandwiches as the base…I went the more traditional route and used chocolate cake and ice cream. And the end result was fabulous!
The best part about this recipe is that you need only 5 ingredients. It’s super easy to make and ends up looking like you bought it from your local ice cream shop. I love to add some colored sprinkles on top, as well as pipe some extra dollops of whipped cream around the edges. It gives it the perfect festive touch for birthdays, graduations or any type of celebration. So simple and delicious!
- Prepared cake round: You’ll need a 9-inch cake round that’s already been cooked and cooled. You can buy premade cake rounds from your local bakery at most grocery stores.
- Ice cream: I used vanilla, but feel free to use other flavors like chocolate or strawberry.
- Hot fudge sauce: I love to make a homemade version, but store-bought is great too.
- Cookies: I used Oreo cookies, but chocolate chip cookies would taste delicious too.
- Whipped cream: Can use cool whip if preferred.
How to Make an Ice Cream Cake
- Prepare cake. Prepare one 9″ cake round according to package directions. Let cool, then place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Assemble ice cream portion and freeze. Butter a 9″ spring form pan and spread 1/2 of the ice cream into the pan. Place spoonfuls of hot fudge sauce on top and then sprinkle cookies on top. Swirl the top with a knife, then tap on the counter to smooth out the top. Then spread the rest of the ice cream on top. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Assemble cake, then spread with whipped cream. Place the prepared (and cooled) 9″ cake round onto a cake plate. When the ice cream is firm, release from the spring form on top of the cake round. Then immediately spread with the whipped cream.
- Freeze and then serve. Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then decorate as desired. Serve immediately.
I like to keep it simple and decorate with colored sprinkles. I also piped on some whipped cream dollops around the edges. Feel free to decorate how you prefer. You could add more chopped cookies on top and drizzle with hot fudge. Or even add a fun cake topper. So many options!
This ice cream cake can be refrozen…simply store any leftovers in the freezer in an airtight container or bag. Just make sure to refreeze quickly after serving. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. No need to thaw before enjoying again, although feel free to let it sit out for a couple of minutes before enjoying if you like it on the softer side.
Other Favorite Chilled Treats
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Ice Cream Cake
- 1 9-inch cake round , prepared and cooled
- 1.75 quart ice cream , slightly softened
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce
- 12 OREO or chocolate chip cookies , finely chopped
- 2 cups whipped cream , or cool whip
- Prepare one 9″ cake round according to package directions. Allow to cool and then place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Butter a 9″ Spring form pan. Then spread 1/2 of the ice cream into the pan. Place spoonfuls of the hot fudge sauce on top of the ice cream. Then sprinkle the cookies on top. Swirl the top with a knife. Then tap on the counter to smooth out the top. Then spread the rest of the ice cream on top. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Place the prepared (and cooled) 9″ cake round onto a cake plate. When the ice cream is firm, release from the spring form on top of the cake round. Then immediately spread with the whipped cream.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then decorate as desired. Serve immediately.
- Run your knife under hot water and then dry it before cutting for a smooth cut.
- Short on time for baking? You can buy pre-made cake rounds from your local bakery at most grocery stores.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Do you have any tips for melting? For some reason, mine melted right when I took it out of freezer so it looked like a mess when putting on whipped cream. It didn’t completely freeze in the pan even after 5 hours in freezer. I’m not sure what I did wrong.
So sorry it melted fast. My guess it was a store brand ice cream that doesn’t stay as firm. Some of the store brands are very light and airy. I typically like to use a thicker base like Dreyers or Tillamook.
Would this taste good if made the night before and frozen?
Yes, definitely! :)
It was a hit. Very easy to make. Definitely will make it again.
Could I make a 9×13 pan cake instead? Would I just put the ice cream and stuff right on top of the cake once it’s cooled? Would I need any extra ice cream?
I think that should be fine! It will just be a little thinner!
Can you finish the cake and serve it the next day?
Yes definitely :)