This Mexican chicken casserole is an easy weeknight meal that’s made in one dish in just 30 minutes! Creamy, cheesy and baked to perfection.
Table of Contents
If you’re looking for an easy 30-minute meal, you’ve come to the right place. This dish takes hardly any time to prep, bakes in one pan in the oven and makes enough for leftovers the next day. We make it at least once a month at our house and my family loves it!
There’s something about a one dish dinner that completely makes my day. I love using less dishes and creating a fabulous meal all in one easy setting. This Mexican casserole and my taco bake recipe are some of my favorite weeknight meals to make. It’s so simple and is definitely a staple casserole dish to have handy in your recipe arsenal.
I love how much flavor this dish packs and the added crunch from the tortilla chips. We love to top it with all of our favorites, like shredded lettuce, cilantro and tomatoes. Add a side of your favorite chips and salsa and you’re all set with dinner! This casserole would make the perfect easy dinner for Cinco de Mayo. Enjoy!
- Shredded chicken: I like to use a rotisserie chicken for convenience. You can also make shredded chicken in the instant pot or crockpot.
- Cooked rice: Use your favorite rice of choice (white or brown rice, Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice.
- Beans: Black beans are our favorite, but you could use pinto beans too.
- Rotel: You’ll need a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Cream cheese & sour cream: These both create a super smooth and creamy texture.
- Taco seasoning: I always have homemade taco seasoning on hand, but a store-bought packet works great too.
- Tortilla chips: The added crunch from the chips is perfect! Make homemade tortilla chips to really take it over the top.
- Shredded cheese: This recipe calls for Mexican cheese, but you can really use any cheese you have on hand.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Casserole
- MIX. In a medium bowl, mix together chicken, rice, beans, rotel, cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning.
- ASSEMBLE. Pour mixture evenly into a 9×13″ pan, then top with the tortilla chips and shredded cheese.
- BAKE. Cover with foil and bake at 375ºF for 15 minutes. Remove foil then bake additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Then serve with your favorite toppings!
Cooking Tips + Variations
- Softened cream cheese. Make sure to soften the cream cheese before mixing. Set it out on the counter about 30 minutes beforehand so that it softens to room temperature.
- Spice. If you like heat, you can mix in some hot sauce or cayenne to the chicken mixture or use hot Rotel diced tomatoes.
- Shred your own cheese. This is key for a super golden and bubbly topping. The pre-shredded bags don’t melt as well, so buy a block of cheese and grate it yourself for the absolute perfect texture.
- Doritos. You may substitute the tortilla chips for Doritos if preferred.
- Extra veggies. Feel free to mix in extra veggies like corn, onions or bell peppers.
Make-Ahead & Freezing
- Making in advance: Prepare the chicken mixture as instructed and pour into the pan. Do not add the tortilla chips or cheese. Cover and place in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, add the chips and cheese on top. Then bake as directed.
- Freezing: Prepare the casserole as directed, however leave off the tortilla chips and cheese (the chips will get mushy in the freezer). Cover and then place in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, let thaw in the fridge over night and then top with chips and cheese right before baking. Then bake as directed.
More Easy Mexican Dinners
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups shredded chicken , I used rotisserie
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 14.5 ounce can black beans , drained
- 10 ounce can rotel (diced tomatoes and chiles) , drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning , more if desired
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- ½ cup shredded mexican cheese , more if desired
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, cilantro, green onions, olives, tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, cooked rice, black beans, rotel, cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Place mixture in a 9×13" glass baking dish. Top with tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes with the foil off, until bubbly.
- After baking, add desired toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!