Mexican Chicken Casserole – An easy weeknight meal made in one dish in just 30 minutes! Creamy, cheesy and baked to perfection.
It doesn’t get much easier than this Mexican casserole recipe. It’s quick, simple and is great for busy weeknights. Some of my other fast favorites are beef enchiladas, chicken taquitos, Mexican lasagna, taco salad, Mexican stuffed shells and taco casserole.
There’s something about a one dish dinner that completely makes my day. I love using less dishes and creating a fabulous meal all in one easy setting. This Mexican casserole is one of those dishes, and one of my favorite weeknight meals to make. It’s so simple and comes together in just 30 minutes!
I love how much flavor this dish packs and the added crunch from the tortilla chips. We love to top it with all of our favorites, like shredded lettuce, cilantro and tomatoes. Add a side of your favorite chips and salsa and you’re all set with dinner!
Ingredients for Mexican chicken bake
- Shredded chicken: I like to use a rotisserie chicken for convenience. You could cook your own chicken breast if preferred.
- Cooked rice: Feel free to use rice of choice, like white or brown rice, Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice.
- Black beans: Black beans are our favorite, but you could use pinto beans too.
- Rotel: You’ll need one 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Cream cheese & sour cream: I love the texture from both the cream cheese and sour cream. So smooth and creamy!
- Taco seasoning: I like to use homemade taco seasoning, but you could use store-bought too.
- Tortilla chips: The added crunch from the chips is perfect! I use tortilla chips, but you could use Doritos as well.
- Shredded cheese: This recipe calls for Mexican cheese, but you can really use any cheese you have on hand.
How to make Mexican chicken casserole
Scroll down for the printable Mexican casserole recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Mix ingredients together. In a medium bowl, mix together chicken, rice, beans, rotel, cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning.
- Add mixture to pan and bake. Place mixture in a 9×13 pan, then top with chips and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil then bake additional 5-10 minutes, until bubbly.
- Top and enjoy! Add desired toppings and serve. Enjoy!
Toppings for Mexican casserole
Below are a few toppings that would taste delicious on this Mexican chicken casserole. My personal favorites are shredded lettuce and tomatoes.
What to serve with Mexican chicken casserole
If you’re looking for sides to serve alongside this Mexican rice casserole, below are a few that would taste delicious.
- Mexican rice or cilantro lime rice
- Street corn
- Mexican salad
- Refried beans
- Chips and salsa
- Sauteed peppers and onions
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups shredded chicken , I used rotisserie
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 14.5 ounce can black beans , drained
- 10 ounce can rotel (diced tomatoes and chiles) , drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning , more if desired
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese , more if desired
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, cilantro, green onions, olives, tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, cooked rice, black beans, rotel, cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Place mixture in a 9x13 glass baking dish. Top with tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes with the foil off, until bubbly.
- After baking, add desired toppings.
This Mexican chicken casserole would make the perfect easy dinner for Cinco de Mayo. Enjoy!