Instant Pot chicken tacos are made with a handful of ingredients and about 40 minutes of your time, whether you’re using fresh or frozen chicken. Perfectly seasoned, juicy chicken ready for taco night any day of the week!
Easy Chicken Tacos in Instant Pot
This Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos recipe is super easy whether I’m all set and ready to make a quick and delicious meal for my family, or for those days when I have forgotten to take the meat out of the freezer! Cooking frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is not only possible but simple, so keep this recipe handy.
The pressure cooker tenderizes the meat to a fall-apart tenderness so that it pulls apart so easily. This recipe is made with chili powder and cumin, which gives it a bit of an Instant Pot Mexican chicken vibe, and the ranch dressing packet adds a ton of extra flavor. The Instant Pot cooks it in about the time it takes to prepare your toppings. Taco Tuesday just got a whole lot easier with this delicious recipe!
- If you’re new to the Instant Pot, or need a refresher, check out my post appropriately titled, how to use the Instant Pot. It contains everything you need to know!
- Always add a cooking liquid. The pressure cooker works by using steam and pressure which the liquid provides. Otherwise, what’s inside will burn.
- Shred the meat using two forks or a hand mixer. The latter is quicker but slightly messier.
- Serve them with homemade flour tortillas or corn tortillas and all your favorite toppings. Finish with a squirt of lime juice! So good!
- Make this low-carb by using the chicken for a shredded chicken taco salad instead. Place it on a bed of leafy greens and enjoy!
- Using a lettuce wrap, the same way I use them in these taco lettuce wraps is another great way of keeping it low carb and gluten-free!
- Turn these into tostadas by crisping up some corn tortillas and making them open-faced.
- Use chicken thighs if preferred. You may find you have fattier bits you need to get rid of.
- Swap the chili powder and cumin for taco seasoning.
Favorite Toppings for Chicken Tacos
- Shredded cheese
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Diced or sliced avocados
- Sour cream
- Salsa ranch dressing
More Mexican Favorites:
- Beef Taquitos
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Green Chili Burritos
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Sheet Pan Nachos
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 to 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves , minced (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 ounce packet ranch seasoning (I used Hidden Valley)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lime , juiced
- salt & pepper , to taste
- tortillas , corn or flour
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes , or salsa
- shredded cheese
- Place the chicken breast in the Instant Pot and pour the broth over the top. Add the garlic, ranch powder, chili powder and cumin on top of the meat.
- Secure the lid and close the pressure valve (make sure it's set to sealing). Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow to count down for 5 minutes and then do a quick release pressure and remove lid. Remove chicken and place on cutting board.
- Shred the meat and then place back in the pot. Stir in the lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken on the tortillas and add your desired toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!