Instant Pot chicken tacos are made with a handful of ingredients and about 40 minutes of your time, whether you’re using fresh or frozen chicken. Perfectly seasoned, juicy chicken ready for taco night any day of the week!
Table of Contents
Easy Chicken Tacos in Instant Pot
This Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos recipe is super easy whether I’m all set and ready to make a quick and delicious meal for my family, or for those days when I have forgotten to take the meat out of the freezer! Cooking frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is not only possible but simple, so keep this recipe handy.
The pressure cooker tenderizes the meat to a fall-apart tenderness so that it pulls apart so easily. This recipe is made with chili powder and cumin, which gives it a bit of an Instant Pot Mexican chicken vibe, and the ranch dressing packet adds a ton of extra flavor.
The Instant Pot cooks it in about the time it takes to prepare your toppings. Taco Tuesday just got a whole lot easier with this delicious recipe!
Simple ingredients are all you need for the best Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos!
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are preferred.
- Broth: I used chicken broth, but vegetable broth would also work.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic will have best taste.
- Seasoning: Ranch seasoning, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper.
- Lime: You will need one fresh lime that has been freshly squeezed.
- Taco toppings: See below for ideas on how to top your easy Instant Pot chicken tacos.
- Make this low-carb by using the chicken taco meat for a shredded chicken taco salad instead. Place it on a bed of leafy greens and enjoy!
- Using a lettuce wrap, the same way I use them in these taco lettuce wraps is another great way of keeping it low carb and gluten-free!
- Turn these into tostadas by crisping up some corn tortillas and making them open-faced.
- Use chicken thighs if preferred. You may find you have fattier bits you need to get rid of.
- Swap the chili powder and cumin for taco seasoning.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Chicken tacos Instant Pot is the easiest way to get shredded chicken that is perfectly tender!
- Add ingredients: Place the chicken breast in the Instant Pot and pour the broth over the top. Add the garlic, ranch powder, chili powder and cumin on top of the meat.
- Cook: Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and set it to sealing. Pressure cook on HIGH for 10 minutes. Allow to count down for 5 minutes and then do Quick Release and remove lid.
- Shred meat: Remove chicken from the pot. Shred the meat and then place back in the pot. Stir in the lime juice then salt and pepper to taste.
- Make tacos: Place the chicken on tortilla of choice and add your desired toppings.
- If you’re new to the Instant Pot, or need a refresher, check out my post appropriately titled, how to use the Instant Pot. It contains everything you need to know!
- Always add a cooking liquid. The pressure cooker works by using steam and pressure which the liquid provides. Otherwise, what’s inside will burn. This recipe for Instant Pot chicken tacos uses broth for liquid.
- Shred the meat using two forks or a hand mixer. The latter is quicker but slightly messier.
- Serve them with homemade flour tortillas or corn tortillas and all your favorite toppings. Finish with a squirt of lime juice! So good!
Toppings for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Use these topping ideas to get as creative as you want when putting together your Instant Pot shredded chicken taco!
- Refried beans
- Shredded cheese
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Diced or sliced avocados
- Sour cream
- Salsa ranch dressing
Yes, add ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, you may need to drain some liquid before shredding. You could also just make my slow cooker chicken taco bowls.
Yes! Just add 3 more minutes to the total cook time.
If your chicken is a rubbery texture, you need to cook it a bit longer. Follow the cook time as listed in the recipe and your chicken will be perfect.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Use leftovers for chicken flautas! This chicken taco meat also freezes well! Store in a freezer safe bag up to 3 months.
More Mexican Favorites:
- Beef Taquitos
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Green Chili Burritos
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Sheet Pan Nachos
More Instant Pot RecipesBrowse all
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 to 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves , minced (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 ounce packet ranch seasoning (I used Hidden Valley)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lime , juiced
- salt & pepper , to taste
- tortillas , corn or flour
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes , or salsa
- shredded cheese
- Place the chicken breast in the Instant Pot and pour the broth over the top. Add the garlic, ranch powder, chili powder and cumin on top of the meat.
- Secure the lid and close the pressure valve (make sure it's set to sealing). Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow to count down for 5 minutes and then do a quick release pressure and remove lid. Remove chicken and place on cutting board.
- Shred the meat and then place back in the pot. Stir in the lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken on the tortillas and add your desired toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!