These M&M cookie bars are gooey, soft and loaded with M&M’s and chocolate chips. So easy to make and perfect for a cookie exchange or holiday party!
Table of Contents
Easy Cookie Bars Recipe
I love to bake all types of Christmas cookies during the holidays. There’s just something about baking on a cold winter day that is so cozy! M&M Christmas cookies are one of my favorites, so I thought I’d make a cookie bar variation. The end result was so delicious!
I’m excited to share these delicious M&M cookie bars with you today! They make the perfect treat for a cookie exchange or holiday party. They’re gooey, have the perfect chewiness, are festive and filled with chocolate chips AND M&M’s! Plus they’re so easy to make, too!
Cookie bars have to be one of my favorites. I’ve made so many different versions, like sugar cookie bars, s’mores bars, congo cookie bars and more. I have to say, this recipe is one of my favorites! I finally perfected them just in time for the holidays and trust me, you want to make them. They are so delicious!
How to Make M&M Cookie Bars
- Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars with a hand or stand mixer for 1 minute. Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Dry ingredients. Then add flour, baking soda and salt and stir.
- Assemble. Fold in M&M’s and chocolate chips and add dough to a lined 9×13″ pan. Place a few extra M&M’s and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake. Bake at 325°F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is barely golden brown. Allow to cool completely, then remove and slice.
- Line the pan. Make sure to line your baking pan with foil! Not only does this make clean up easier, but it helps the bars to cook evenly.
- Thinner bars. You can bake them in a 15×10″ pan to make thinner bars (the 9×13″ pan results in a thicker cookie).
- Extra M&M’s on top. To make them extra pretty, add a few M&M’s on top of the dough right before baking (like in picture above). You may also press a few M&M’s on top immediately after the bars come out of the oven.
- Don’t overcook. You want to remove the bars from the oven when the top is barely golden. They may look a little under done, but they’ll continue to set as they cool. You don’t want to over bake them or else they won’t have that perfect gooey center.
- Glaze. A powdered sugar glaze also taste delicious on top. Simply drizzle over the bars once cooled.
- Chocolate chips. You can use milk chocolate, semi-sweet or white chocolate chips.
- Seasonality. You can make these bars anytime throughout the year. Just pick up colored M&M’s that match the occasion or holiday.
Storing + Freezing
- To store: M&M bars will keep at room temperature stored in an airtight container for about 3 days, or about 5 days in the fridge.
- To freeze: Wrap in foil then place in an airtight container. They will last in the freezer for a couple of months.
5 star review
“Love these chewy m&m cookie bars!!! So easy to make and grandkids love them.”-Shirley
More M&M Desserts
M&M Cookie Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt , or 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (plus more for tops if desired)
- 1 cup M&M’s (plus more for tops if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a large bowl using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars for 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir mixture just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s (saving about 1/4 cup for the top).
- For thick bars, line a 9×13" pan with parchment paper or foil. For thinner bars, line a 15×10" pan. Leave an over hang for easy removal. Then spray with non-stick spray. Scoop cookie dough into the pan and press down evenly. Then place extra M&M’s and chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is barely golden brown. Allow to cool completely, then remove and slice.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!