Rich and hearty creamy white lasagna soup is packed with tender shredded chicken, lasagna noodles, Italian spices, spinach, and a velvety broth with cream and Parmesan cheese. It’s a comforting version of the classic pasta dish but without the hassle of layering the noodles!
Table of Contents
White Lasagna Chicken Soup
Inspired by my easy lasagna soup, chicken fettuccini alfredo and chicken Alfredo lasagna, this creamy white lasagna soup is the best of both worlds! It’s easier than layering a traditional lasagna but with all the same taste.
There is just something about creamy soups that are so luxurious. This chicken Gnocchi soup, white chicken chili and chicken and corn chowder are other comforting soup favorites that we can’t get enough of during the winter!
Made with tender shredded chicken, hearty pasta noodles and a rich sauce, it has classic white lasagna taste, but is so easy to make in one pot and ready in less than an hour!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make. One pot is all you need to make this easy white lasagna soup recipe! It beats layering traditional lasagna, it is even more simple than crockpot lasagna.
- Classic taste. Italian spices, creamy sauce, cheese, this soup has all the traditional flavor of the classic but is eaten in a bowl!
- Comfort food. Nothing is better on a cold day than a comforting bowl of soup!
- Versatile. This soup is super easy to customize by using a different protein, adding additional veggies, or even make it vegetarian.
Ingredients for White Lasagna Soup
This one pot white chicken lasagna soup contains simple ingredients, but is also easy to customize to what you have on hand.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is used to sauté your vegetables because of its high smoke point, you could add a touch of butter too if you want a more rich taste.
- Onion and garlic: Create a savory base layer of flavor for the soup.
- Seasonings: I use homemade Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. You could add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like some heat.
- Chicken stock: Or chicken broth, low sodium or regular, adjust salt as needed.
- Shredded chicken: Cooked shredded chicken makes this so simple. I often use rotisserie chicken.
- Lasagna noodles: I used 8 lasagna noodles broke into bite sized pieces.
- Half and half or heavy cream: Either works, the higher the fat content of your cream, the richer your soup will be.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese melts the best.
- Fresh spinach: Adds a pop of color and some greens. If your spinach is larger, it needs to be chopped. Baby spinach might not need to be, depending on preference.
- Fresh basil: Fresh chopped basil really gives it an authentic Italian taste. Fresh parsley or thyme would also be delicious.
- Vegetables: Boost the nutrition by adding some additional veggies! Mushrooms, diced or shredded carrots, celery, bell peppers, zucchini or simply swap kale for the spinach.
- Sun dried tomatoes: Add 1/4 cup for another layer of sweet flavor and color.
- Pesto: Stir in a little pesto if you don’t have any fresh basil, it tastes amazing just like in white chicken lasagna with pesto.
- Meat: Try ground turkey or Italian sausage instead of chicken. Or with the chicken add some cubed leftover baked ham or cooked bacon.
- Gluten-free: Simply use gluten-free lasagna noodles.
- Vegetarian: Omit the chicken, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and use nutritional yeast, mozzarella, provolone or Gouda. Add some cannellini beans for some extra protein.
How to Make White Lasagna Soup
With only 20 minutes of prep and then 20 minutes cook time, this white lasagna soup is ready in under an hour and so easy to make for dinner!
- Sauté vegetables and seasonings. In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-heat, sauté onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes until browned, add garlic and continue cooking for 1 more minute. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cook noodles: Add chicken broth and broken lasagna noodle pieces to the pot. Bring to a light boil and cook until pasta is al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients: Slowly whisk your cream into the soup, then continue to add chicken, Parmesan cheese, spinach and basil. Cook an additional 2 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- Serve: Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Ladle your soup into a bowl and garnish with ricotta and additional fresh basil.
- Temper half and half: When adding your cream to the hot broth, add only 2 Tbsp to start with to temper it. If you add it all at once you risk your half and half separating and curdling.
- Noodles: Since this is white lasagna soup, lasagna noodles are preferred. You could use 2 cups of any pasta, though, such as fusilli, bow tie pasta, or rotini. If you can find Mafalda Corta which are mini lasagna noodles, those work great!
- Milk substitutions: Lower fat milk will result in a less creamy taste, so proceed with caution if you want the best tasting white lasagna soup.
- Fresh ingredients: Freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil will melt better and provide the best taste.
If you would like a thicker soup, you can make a slurry with some of your half and half and a bit cornstarch before you add it to the soup. Another way to make a thicker soup, is to add some cream cheese at the end before serving.
If you love a more broth like soup, just add additional stock or broth until your desired consistency is reached.
You could use uncooked cubed boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. You will need to add them with the chicken broth, cook for a few minutes, then add your noodles.
Only if you are planning on storing leftovers or freezing leftovers. Otherwise the beauty of this white chicken lasagna soup is that it is made in one pot!
Once your white chicken lasagna soup is ready, it is best to serve it right away! I love to add some fresh ricotta and basil to each bowl.
Leftover chicken lasagna soup should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days. It’s best to store your pasta separately from the soup, as the pasta will soak up the liquid and get soggy. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
You can freeze the soup but it’s best to do so without the creamy ingredients and pasta. The pasta will get soggy when thawed and the cream and Parmesan tend to separate.
Prepare the soup but do not add the noodles or creamy ingredients. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight, add your creamy ingredients and cooked pasta noodles.
More Easy Soup RecipesBrowse all
White Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic , about 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt , to taste
- Ground black pepper , to taste
- 4 cups (32 ounces) chicken stock
- 8 uncooked lasagna noodles , broken into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup half-and-half , or heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use rotisserie)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 cups chopped spinach
- 2-3 Tablespoons freshly chopped basil , plus more to taste
Optional for serving: Ricotta cheese
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook an additional minute. Add the Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken stock. Bring to a light boil and add the noodles. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- Whisk 1 Tablespoon hot broth into the half-and-half to temper it. While whisking, slowly pour half-and-half into the pot. Add the chicken, parmesan cheese, spinach, and basil. Cook an additional 2 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and more basil, if desired.
- For additional flavor and color, add in 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- You can sneak in a cup of shredded carrots or zucchini for added veggies.
- If you’d like the soup thinner, add more chicken stock or broth.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!