Forget takeout and make restaurant-worthy crockpot beef and broccoli at home. This easy recipe takes only 10 minutes to prep. Let your crockpot do the work for tender, flavorful beef and broccoli.
Table of Contents
Easy Beef and Broccoli
This beef and broccoli recipe will definitely satisfy all your cravings for take out. The meat is tender and the sauce is super flavorful. Plus it’s less expensive and healthier than ordering out, too.
The best part about this dish is that it’s so easy to toss together in the slow cooker. Prep time takes only 10 short minutes and you can literally just dump the ingredients in and go. Feel free to make customizations based on your needs, like adding in extra veggies or using precooked rice for serving.
Budget friendly ingredients make this dish so much better than Chinese takeout! A delicious dinner that won’t break the bank is definitely a winner when it comes to menu planning.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Beef: I used flank steak to make this slow cooker beef and broccoli. When sliced into thin strips against the grain it becomes so tender! Boneless beef chuck roast is another great option.
- Broccoli: While fresh broccoli will taste best, you can use frozen broccoli.
- Sauce: Beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and minced garlic are simple yet flavorful when combined!
- Cornstarch mixture: To thicken the sauce you will need both cornstarch and some of the sauce from the beef and broccoli or water.
- Beef: I prefer flank steak but round steak, sirloin steak, chuck roast or stew meat can also be used.
- Soy sauce: You can also use liquid aminos or for gluten-free use tamari sauce. Add some oyster sauce if you would like!
- Veggies: Add other veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, snap peas and carrots for a slow cooker beef stir fry!
- Red pepper flakes: A pinch or two of red pepper flakes adds a small kick of heat to the sauce! Fresh ginger would also add a spicy taste.
- Green onions and sesame seeds: For garnish add green onions and sesames seeds for additional taste and crunch.
How to Make Crockpot Beef and Broccoli
Just like you would expect of any restaurant dish, this beef and broccoli recipe has melt-in-your mouth tender meat and the sauce is so flavorful. It really is the best crock pot recipe!
- Prepare. Make the sauce by whisking together the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and minced garlic. Add beef to crockpot, then pour the sauce on top.
- Cook beef. Turn to low setting and cook until the meat is cooked through, about 3 hours.
- Add broccoli. Remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the crockpot. Whisk cornstarch into the liquid mixture, then add the mixture back into the crockpot and stir. Add in the broccoli and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Serve. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Tips
- Time saver: Buy the precooked frozen rice from Trader Joe’s for easy serving. You can also buy frozen or pre-chopped broccoli to make this dish come together even quicker.
- When to add broccoli to slow cooker: Add broccoli about 30 minutes before serving. Don’t add it in while cooking the beef or it will get super mushy.
- Don’t forget the cornstarch! It helps to thicken the sauce. Whisk it in right before adding the broccoli.
- Extra sauce: If there’s any extra sauce left in the crockpot, I like to add a spoonful on top right before serving.
Yes! It may become more mushy than fresh broccoli but will still taste great. Do not defrost the frozen broccoli florets just add them to the slow cooker at the same time you would have added the fresh broccoli.
Since we are cooking the broccoli in sauce that is already heated, it should take around 30 minutes for your broccoli to cook and for the sauce to thicken.
Yes, prep it the night before, store covered in the refrigerator then all you have to do is toss it in the crockpot in the morning or 3-4 hours before you plan to serve dinner.
Make the most of this Chinese-inspired crock pot broccoli and beef by adding a few other buffet favorites like sweet and sour chicken or the following sides:
Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove with a splash of water to rehydrate and keep the leftovers from drying out.
Freeze leftovers in an airtight container up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before heating and serving.
More Crockpot Recipes You’ll LoveBrowse all
Crockpot Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak (or beef chuck) , sliced against the grain in thin strips
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
Add after cooking
- 2-3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3-4 cups chopped broccoli , frozen or fresh
For serving: Cooked rice, Sesame seeds
- In the base of a crockpot, add the beef.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and minced garlic. Pour over beef. Cook on low 3-4 hours, or until meat is cooked through and tender.
- Remove 1/4 cup liquid or use 1/4 cup water and whisk in the cornstarch. Stir back into the pot. Add broccoli. Cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Serve over rice with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Add other veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, snap peas and carrots.
- Use precooked rice or frozen/pre-chopped broccoli for convenience.
- Serve with cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!