Sweet Potato Casserole – mashed sweet potatoes topped with toasted pecans and a delicious brown sugar crumble. Add in marshmallows to make the ultimate holiday side dish. This is the BEST recipe for sweet potato casserole!
We always make this sweet potato casserole recipe for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s a holiday staple and is always requested. We also love to serve creamed corn, scalloped potatoes, corn casserole and cranberry sauce.
Easy sweet potato casserole
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I thought I would share my favorite sweet potato casserole recipe, which is a wonderful side dish to go with your Thanksgiving feast or Christmas Dinner! My husband and I have never been huge fans of sweet potato casserole, but once we tried this recipe, we have NEVER gone back. This is the BEST sweet potato casserole. Hands down!
The best way to make this sweet potato casserole is to pre-bake the sweet potatoes. It brings out all the best flavors and really take this sweet potato casserole up a notch. If you’re in a hurry, you could always boil them or use canned, but I promise it’s super easy to bake them. I usually bake them the night before Thanksgiving and then mix together the casserole in the morning. Then I’ll add the topping right before baking.
How to bake sweet potatoes
Baking sweet potatoes is super easy and is my favorite way to cook them. It brings out such amazing sweet potato flavor and makes them tender and caramelized.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce with a fork. You can wrap them with foil if you prefer.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
How to make sweet potato casserole
Scroll down for the printable sweet potato casserole recipe.
- Scoop cooked potatoes into a bowl and mash. Add white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour into a 9×13 or 11×8 baking dish if you’d like a little thicker.
- In separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter with a fork or pastry cutter. You may need to use your hands to create the crumble. Then stir in the pecans.
- Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potatoes and then bake for 25-30 minutes at 325°F.
The topping on this easy sweet potato casserole is seriously the BEST part, so don’t skip out on it! It pretty much tastes like candied pecans on top of the sweet potatoes and will become your new favorite after just one bite.
Best sweet potato casserole with marshmallows
If you want to take your sweet potato casserole up a notch, try adding some mini marshmallows. You can add them during the last few minutes of cooking. All you need to do is sprinkle 1 1/2 cups over the top and broil for 2 minutes, or until golden. Sometimes I’ll even just add them to half of the pan, for those who like them. YUM!
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 5 sweet potatoes (pre-baked)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (slightly melted)
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk (can use milk or cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
Optional: 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Scoop cooked potatoes into a bowl and mash. It should be about 3 cups. Add white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix together until smooth. Pour into a 9x13 or 11x8 baking dish if you'd like a little thicker.
- In separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter with a fork or pastry cutter. You may need to use your hands to create the crumble. Then stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake sweet potato casserole for 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and caramelized.
- If you'd like to add marshmallows, sprinkle over the top and broil for 2 minutes, or until golden.
Looking for a savory sweet potato casserole recipe? Click here!