White Chicken Chili – A creamy and delicious white chicken chili recipe that’s perfect for a chilly day! Takes just 5 minutes of prep and is great for busy weeknights. Add all your favorite toppings and dig in!
When the weather starts to cool off, I start making lots of easy soup recipes. This white bean chicken chili is a favorite, as well as taco soup, lasagna soup, chicken tortilla soup and hearty vegetable soup.
White Bean Chicken Chili
Now that the weather is dropping, we love rotating our favorite soup recipes into our weekly meal plan. This white chicken chili was a family favorite growing up. I adjusted my mom’s recipe slightly by adding in a cup of salsa verde for a little extra kick. It’s definitely not a spicy soup, but if you want to add a little heat, you could use a medium-hot salsa. If you don’t like the extra spice, use a mild salsa.
The best part about this white chicken chili recipe is that it only takes 5 minutes of prep work. Then the slow cooker does all the rest. Perfect for busy afternoons. That’s why I just love slow cooker recipes…so easy and they help create delicious meals that the whole family loves!
What are the best beans to put in chili?
I love to use a variation of beans in this easy white chicken chili (below are my favorites), however you could definitely just use one kind. Feel free to throw in whatever kind of beans you already have stocked in your pantry!
- Great northern beans
- White kidney beans
- Light red kidney beans
- Pinto beans
How do you make white bean chicken chili?
I love that you can just throw everything in the slow cooker to make this white bean chicken chili. Just follow the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable white chicken chili recipe.
- Combine chicken and broth in the bottom of slow cooker. Top chicken with salt and chili powder.
- Add beans, corn, salsa verde and salsa to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Place back in slow cooker with the sour cream. Cook white chicken chili an additional 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Toppings for white chicken chili
You can serve this white bean chicken chili as-is or load it up with all your favorite toppings! Below are the toppings that we love to use. :) We especially love to top the white chicken chili with cheese and tortilla chips. It’s the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day. If you leave off the toppings, it’s actually pretty healthy as well.
Shredded cheese: Try topping with cotija, Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese.
Tortilla chips: We love to add a handful of crushed tortilla chips to the creamy white chicken chili. Adds the perfect crunch!
Sliced avocado: Avocado slices taste delicious on top of this white chicken chili recipe. You could also add a dollop of guacamole if you want.
Sour cream or Greek yogurt: These help to tame any spice in the soup and also make the white chicken chili a tad more thick/creamy.
Lime: Fresh lime juice is a great addition to this white chicken chili. The citrus pairs perfectly with the flavors in the soup.
Sliced Radishes: The radishes add a nice crunch and also look super pretty as well!
Cilantro: I love to add fresh cilantro to anything with Mexican flavors, so this white chicken chili recipe was no exception. :)
White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 4 pieces)
- 15 ounces chicken broth (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 60 ounces beans (4 cans, rinsed and drained)
- 15 ounces white corn (1 can)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or cream cheese)
Optional toppings: Tortilla chips, scoop of sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro
- Combine the chicken and chicken brother in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top the chicken with the salt and chili powder.
- Add the beans, corn, salsa verde and salsa to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Place back in the slow cooker with the sour cream. Cook white chicken chili an additional 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with your favorite toppings!