A creamy and delicious crockpot white chicken chili recipe that’s perfect for a chilly day! Takes just 5 minutes of prep and is great for busy weeknights. Add your favorite toppings and dig in!
Table of Contents
Crockpot White Chili Recipe
This dish combines two of my favorite things: soup and my crockpot. I just love dump and go meals, especially when there’s soup involved. This chili is a favorite, along with my slow cooker enchilada soup and crockpot potato soup.
This white chicken chili was a family favorite growing up. I adjusted my mom’s recipe slightly by adding in a cup of salsa verde for a little extra kick. It’s definitely not a spicy soup, but if you want to add a little heat, you could use a medium-hot salsa. If you don’t like the extra spice, use a mild salsa.
The best part about this recipe is that it only takes 5 minutes of prep work. Then the slow cooker does all the rest. Perfect for busy afternoons. That’s why I just love slow cooker recipes…so easy and they help create delicious meals that the whole family loves!
Favorite Beans to Use
I love to use a variety of beans in my chili, however you could definitely just use one kind. The beauty of this recipe is that you can just throw in whatever type of beans are in your pantry.
- Great northern beans
- White kidney beans
- Light red kidney beans
- Pinto beans
How to Make Crockpot White Chicken Chili
- DUMP. Add chicken and broth to the crockpot. Season the chicken with salt and chili powder. Then add in beans, corn, salsa verde and salsa.
- COOK. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours. Remove chicken and shred, then place back in crockpot. Add the sour cream and stir. Then cook an additional 30 minutes.
- SERVE. Ladle soup into bowls and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
To Thicken the Soup
This soup does have a thick and creamy texture, however there are a few ways to thicken it even more if preferred:
- Use cream cheese instead of sour cream. It tends to thicken up a bit more.
- Use less broth. You can start with using half the amount, then add in more as needed.
- Add cornstarch. In a small bowl, mix 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with a few spoonfuls of broth. Then add the mixture to the soup and stir.
You can serve the soup as-is or load it up with all your favorite toppings! Any of the below would taste delicious:
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Sliced radishes
I love to double the recipe and freeze half of the soup for later. I’d recommend freezing it without the sour cream mixed in, because sometimes dairy can separate once frozen.
Add the soup to a freezer bag or container and store in freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before enjoying. Then heat back up on the stove or in the crockpot until warm. Mix in sour cream before serving.
More Easy Chili Recipes
White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
- 15 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 60 ounces beans (4 cans, rinsed and drained)
- 15 ounces can white corn
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 3/4 cup sour cream , or cream cheese
Optional toppings: Tortilla chips, scoop of sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro
- Combine the chicken and chicken broth in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top the chicken with the salt and chili powder. Then add the beans, corn, salsa verde and salsa to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred. Place back in the slow cooker with the sour cream. Cook an additional 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with your favorite toppings!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!