Turkey Tetrazzini – A delicious pasta dish with a creamy sauce and cheese melted on top. This classic comfort meal is easy to make with less than 10 ingredients!
Easy casserole dishes are a lifesaver during busy weeknights. This turkey tetrazzini casserole is always a top pick, as well as chicken broccoli rice casserole, taco casserole and Mexican chicken casserole.
If you’re looking for a way to use up that leftover Thanksgiving turkey, this turkey tetrazzini recipe is the perfect solution! It’s easy to make and takes less than 10 ingredients. Plus it’s super comforting and always a family favorite.
If you’ve never had turkey tetrazzini, it’s a pasta dish with a creamy sauce and cheese melted on top. Pasta and cheese lovers will go crazy over this delicious dish. It combines the best of both worlds!
How to make turkey tetrazzini
Step 1: Cook the pasta
Cook pasta al dente, according to package directions. Then drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
Step 2: Make the sauce
Melt the butter over medium-heat in a skillet. Add in the chopped onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Then add minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
Next add in the turkey, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. If you need to thin the sauce out a little, add in the pasta water. S&P to taste.
Step 3: Bake the turkey tetrazzini
Toss together the sauce and noodles, then pour mixture in a buttered 8×8″ baking dish. Top with cheese and bake in oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops is bubbly and lightly golden.
Tips and substitutions
- Can use homemade cream of mushroom soup if you’d prefer to make your own.
- Can add in 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms with the chopped onions.
- You can also use cooked chicken instead of turkey if you prefer.
- Cook the pasta al dente. Don’t overcook because it will cook even more in the oven.
- For more texture, feel free to sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top.
- You can substitute chopped onions and minced garlic with 1/2 teaspoon both onion powder and garlic powder. Simply mix the seasonings with the melted butter.
This turkey tetrazzini recipe makes a great freezer meal. Sometimes I double the recipe and pop one in the freezer for busy weeknights.
To freeze before baking: Mix together the noodles with the sauce, then pour into a buttered baking dish. Let cool completely, then add cheese on top. Cover tightly with foil or lid and place in the freezer.
To freeze after baking: Let cool completely, then cover with foil or a lid. Place in freezer until ready to enjoy.
Reheating: Let thaw in fridge overnight, then bake in oven at 350°F according to directions.
More baked pasta dishes:
Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti , or linguine
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups cooked turkey breast
- 1 cup cream of mushroom soup , or cream of chicken
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
S&P , to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 8x8" baking dish and set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente, according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-heat. Add the onions and cook 3-5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Next add in the turkey, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Add in pasta water if need to thin out. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss sauce with noodles and pour into baking dish. Top with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops is bubbly and lightly golden.