Chicken Pot Pie
This Chicken Pot Pie recipe is SO good. Confession: I have never made a chicken pot pie until last night, and boy was it delicious! Much better then the ones my mom used to pull out from the freezer! ;) It does take a little bit of work… but it is so worth it.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas *Or use 16oz bag of frozen carrots and peas. Much easier.
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 large or 2 small potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 32 oz. carton chicken stock or broth for boiling(reserve 1 3/4 cups chicken broth)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked Pillsbury pie crusts...or if you're really feeling domestic go here and find the perfect pie crust!! I wasn't feeling that domestic last night so I used Mr. Dough Boys, and it was still yummy!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
In a pot, combine chicken, carrots, peas, potatoes and celery. Add the chicken broth and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain (reserving 1 and 3/4 cup chicken broth for filling) and set aside.
Place the bottom crust on the pie pan and dab with a fork a few times. Place in over and cook for 5-7 minutes.
In a large sauce pan cook onions in butter (over medium heat) until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Next, slowly stir in chicken broth remains and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and combine with the chicken, carrots, peas, and celery mixture.
Remove pie crust from oven and bump oven down to 375. Place the chicken filling in bottom crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.