This Asian chicken salad is everything you want in a salad recipe…fresh, light, crunchy and delicious. It’s super flavorful and is loaded with all your favorite toppings!
A light and fresh salad
This Asian chicken salad is fresh, light, crisp, filling, crunchy, pretty and delicious. It is one of my favorite salads to make for potlucks, girls lunches or a healthy dinner idea at home. It’s also my go-to whenever I see it on the menu at a restaurant.
It’s loaded with all types of delicious toppings like chicken, green onions, almonds, cilantro, wonton strips and an easy Asian dressing. The fresh flavors and different textures all pair perfectly together. Take one bite and you will be in heaven!
Asian chicken salad dressing
This dressing is super simple to make and is bursting with flavor. The sesame oil and rice wine vinegar give it that delicious Asian taste. And the sugar helps cut the acidity and provides just the right amount of sweetness.
Simply whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl and then taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Then drizzle over the salad and toss to combine.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1-2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded chicken or grilled chicken all taste great.
- Use whichever greens you have on hand. Spinach or kale work great too.
- Add extra vegetables such as chopped cucumber or bell peppers.
- Add mandarin oranges for a sweet and delicious addition.
- Switch the almonds for peanuts or cashews.
- You can also use Chinese rice noodles instead of wonton strips.
- Use slow cooker teriyaki chicken for the base (or make instant pot teriyaki chicken).
- Homemade wonton strips. Make your own wonton strips instead of buying from the store. They are extra delicious and easy to make!
- Dressing in advance. You can make the dressing in advance and store in the fridge until ready to serve. It’s one less step to worry about.
- Main or side. This dish can be served as a side or a main dish. If serving as a main dish, it will serve around 4. If serving as a side, it will serve 6-8.
- Meal prep. This salad would be great for meal prepping. Divide the ingredients among 4-5 meal prep containers and store in the fridge. I add the dressing right before enjoying and also store the wonton strips in a separate bag so they don’t get soggy.
More Asian inspired dishes:
- Cashew chicken lettuce wraps
- Honey garlic chicken
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Chicken and vegetable stir fry
- Egg roll in a bowl
Asian Chicken Salad
- 6-8 cups romaine lettuce
- 2-3 cups classic coleslaw mix , no dressing
- 2 cups cooked chicken , I like to use rotisserie, chicken strips or grilled chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup wonton strips
S&P, to taste
- Combine the lettuce and coleslaw mix in a large bowl. Place the chicken, green onions, sliced almonds, cilantro and wonton strips on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar and sesame oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Toss to combine. Serve immediately.