This avocado lime dressing adds a cool creamy citrus finish to any salad! Made with pure simple ingredients whipped up quickly in a blender, it’s an easy, budget-friendly way to add a fresh healthy dressing to your growing list of homemade condiments!
Table of Contents
Creamy Mexican Salad Dressing
A cool creamy dressing with a burst of citrus and tang is probably one of my favorite kinds of salad dressings. This avocado lime dressing recipe is super flavorful and makes eating all kinds of salads and veggie dishes a whole lot more exciting. It can even be made thick enough to use as a sandwich spread or as a sauce in a wrap. You could even use it as a dip for chips, like I do with avocado salsa dip.
It’s made with fresh diced avocados, aromatics like green onion and garlic, some taco seasoning and cumin as well as yogurt or sour cream, and of course lime juice. You can imagine how tasty this is. I love it on southwest pasta salad as it really compliments the flavors nicely but this dressing is basically perfect on any salad recipe!
This dressing comes together in no time at all. You just add ingredients to a blender or food processor to combine. This quick guide on how to cut an avocado is about as much effort as this avocado and lime dressing requires!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Avocados: Look for ripe avocados that are on the softer side and give a little when squeezed.
- Green onions: A bit more mild than other types of onions. Adds a nice flavor without being overpowering.
- Greek yogurt: Helps with the creaminess of this avocado lime dressing. I like to use fat free plain Greek yogurt to keep it on the lighter side.
- Milk: Used to help thin out the consistency of the dressing. I prefer using fat free milk.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves will add the best flavor. Learn tips for how to mince garlic easily.
- Lime: A fresh burst of citrus adds a nice brightness to the dressing.
- Seasonings: A blend of salt, pepper, cumin and taco seasoning add more flavor and a delicious Mexican flare.
Feel free to use whole milk and sour cream in place of Greek yogurt for a richer taste. You can also make a spicier version by adding in some diced jalapenos or a dash of cayenne. Chopped cilantro would also make a delicious addition!
How to Make Avocado Lime Dressing
- Combine the avocados, green onions, garlic, Greek yogurt, lime, milk and seasonings in a food processor or the bottom of your blender.
- Pulse the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is on the thicker side, add in a little more milk to thin it out to your desired consistency. Taste and add more seasonings if needed.
- Serve with your favorite salad, in a wrap or as a dip with sliced veggies.
- Using fresh ripe avocados will blend easiest into a creamy texture.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more yogurt or sour cream. Add yogurt to thicken it up and milk to thin it out.
- A creamy dressing is best served fresh on the same day.
- Toss some cilantro in for extra flavor. It will give it added fresh herbed flavor.
- Swap the fresh lime juice for lemon juice if preferred.
It will stay fresh in the fridge in a jar with a lid or airtight container for up to 3 days.
Sure! It’s as easy as substituting the Greek yogurt and milk with a plant based dairy-free version instead. All other ingredients in this creamy avocado lime dressing recipe are vegan.
It is! The only ingredient to keep an eye on when making this recipe is the taco seasoning. Most packets are gluten-free, but make sure to check the label before using because gluten can be sneaky sometimes!
Ways to Use Avocado Lime Sauce
Whether you serve it with vegetables or drizzle it over your favorite Mexican recipe, there are so many ways to use this creamy avocado lime sauce.
- As a dip for your favorite chopped veggies
- Tossed with a Mexican salad or BBQ chicken salad
- Drizzled over ranch chicken tacos or a chicken fajita bowl
- In a buffalo chicken wrap
- As a topping for mini taco cups or a Mexican pizza
Favorite Salads to Use OnBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Avocado Lime Dressing
- 2 avocados , pitted and halved
- 3 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tablespoons fat free, plain Greek yogurt , or sour cream
- 1 lime , juiced
- ½ cup fat free milk , plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In the base of a food processor or blender, add the avocados, green onions, garlic, Greek yogurt, lime, milk, cumin, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is on the thicker side, add in a little more milk to thin it out to your desired consistency. Taste and add more seasonings if needed.
- Serve either by drizzling over your favorite salad or with veggies. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
We love this so much that we put it on salads, tacos, use it as dip, so many options. It is simple & so tasty!
Love this dressing!! I like to always have some in the fridge, because we use it on so many things!
The flavor is perfection! This salad would pair well with delicious salad.