Easy-baked chicken parmesan topped with fresh mozzarella and basil. A quick and easy meal your whole family will love!
Table of Contents
Family Favorite Meal
Chicken parmesan is one of those classic and delicious Italian dishes that you can’t go wrong with. It’s super crispy, flavorful, and delicious…no wonder it’s so popular! A few of my other favorites are spaghetti and meatballs, baked ziti, and chicken florentine.
One of my husband’s all-time favorite meals is chicken parmesan. He always orders it if we’re eating out at an Italian restaurant. I’ve made quite a few versions at home and prefer my baked chicken parmesan the best. It’s healthier than frying it in butter and is also way easier to throw together. If your family prefers plain chicken, check out this baked chicken breast recipe. You can always add sauce and cheese on top without frying,
You could always make your own homemade breadcrumbs for a unique flavor, but I usually just buy some from the store. You can also sprinkle on some grated mozzarella instead of using slices if you’re looking to cut down on calories. I, however, love the cheese just oozing off the sides! YUM!
This is the best chicken parmesan and is so simple to make! Take your chicken Parmigiana to the next level. With a few staple ingredients you have ready in your pantry and refrigerator, you can make this easy chicken parmesan any night of the week!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken breast work best. I use 3 breasts and then slice each in half to create 6 fillets.
- Eggs: The whisked eggs are essentially the ‘glue’ that helps the bread crumb mixture stick to the chicken.
- Bread crumbs: You can use either panko bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs. Both work great!
- Cheese: There are 2 types of cheese used. First I used 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese to include in the bread crumb coating. Then I used fresh sliced mozzarella to add on top of the marinara at the end.
- Marinara: Both marinara sauce and spaghetti sauce work great in this recipe. Feel free to use store-bought or homemade.
- Spices: Garlic powder, salt, and pepper are used to season this easy chicken parm.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
Crispy chicken parmesan is a thin, tender chicken breast that is a classic Italian dish. It takes a few steps to prepare the chicken but cooks quickly. This oven-baked chicken parmesan is a family favorite!
- Slice and tenderize the chicken. Cut chicken in half horizontally to create 6 fillets. Then place the fillets in a zip-top bag and flatten them with a meat tenderizer.
- Coat with breadcrumb mixture. Whisk eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper. Then place bread crumbs, parmesan, and garlic powder in a separate shallow dish. Dip each fillet in egg, then place in bread crumbs and cover completely.
- Bake in the oven. Add fillets to a baking sheet and bake at 415° until the meat is no longer pink in middle, about 20-25 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- Top with sauce and cheese. Remove from oven and spoon 1/4 cup marinara over top. Then place the mozzarella slice on top of the sauce. Place back in the oven and bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Broil last minute if desired.
- Add toppings and serve! Top with fresh basil or oregano and serve with pasta if desired.
Make this a complete meal with noodles, vegetables, salad, and bread! It is a simple combination and perfect to make together. This is a great combination of all your favorite Italian food on one plate!
- Serve over cooked pasta such as angel hair or spaghetti
- Over spaghetti squash for a low-carb option
- With a big chopped salad
- With veggies like green beans, roasted asparagus, or broccoli
- Alongside garlic bread or breadsticks
5 star review
“I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out perfect! The chicken was nice and crispy, and 25 minutes was the perfect amount of time. I put extra sauce on top when it was finished and it was delicious! 5 STARS! :)”-Raquel
I like to broil my chicken during the last minute of cooking. The breadcrumbs crisp up so nicely. Just be sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn!
If you’d like yours extra crispy, you can fry the chicken before baking. Simply heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each side (after dipping in the crumb mixture) for 2 minutes. Then cook for 18-20 minutes in the oven.
This is a question that is easy to answer! They are and mean the same type of dish. Chicken parmigiana and chicken parmesan are exactly the same. Just two different names for the same dish.
No, this is not necessary. You can leave your parmesan open and bake without a cover overtop.
Everyone thinks and continues to claim this is an authentic Italian dish, however, no one really knows where or who invented or came up with this delicious chicken parmesan dinner. It is more popular in America and usually is more noticeable in larger cities that have more of an Italian population like New York, New Jersey, and Toronto, and outside of the country are Australia, Argentina, and Brazil.
Storing and Reheating
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this chicken parmesan is a favorite even the next day. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for two to three days long. When ready to reheat, place in the microwave, air fryer, or oven to warm up. Enjoy while it is warm!
Love easy Italian-inspired recipes? Try this baked eggplant parmesan or parmesan crusted chicken next!
More Italian Dishes You’ll Love
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 3 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs , whisked
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Panko or Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella , sliced about 1/8 inch thick
For serving: freshly chopped basil and cooked spaghetti noodles
- Preheat oven to 415°F. Spray a baking sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Cut chicken in half horizontally to create 6 fillets. Place in a zip top bag and flatten with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to about 1/2" thick.
- Place egg in a bowl and whisk together with salt and pepper. Place bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and garlic powder in a separate bowl. Dip chicken in the egg and then place in the bread crumbs and cover the chicken.
- Next place chicken in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it's no longer pink in the middle. Flip the chicken half way through.
- Remove from oven and spoon about 1/4 cup sauce on top of the chicken and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil the last minute if desired.
- Top with fresh basil or oregano. Serve with angel hair pasta or spaghetti if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
The Best Taste of YM
This was my first time ever making Parmesan chicken. This recipe was easy to follow and ,most importantly, delicious! My husband, 3 year old and I love it! I had some leftover breading that I used to make a side of zucchini fries.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! The zucchini fries sound delicious too. :)
Pizza dough with whole wheat flour.
One of our favorite go to dinners! We love the flavor and how tender the chicken comes out!
Thanks for the tip about broiling it at the end to add the crisp to the chicken. Love that I have this healthier option without losing any of the flavor.
I love chicken parm! This recipe is super easy to make and so yummy! :)
I made this and it was wonderful. I going to make for a group and I want to do a whole half breast. My question how much longer should I cook it.
I would just double the recipe for a group!
Loved this chicken parmesan recipe!
thiswas a great recipe very recommended
Best homemade chicken parm I have ever made. The fresh mozzarella and basil make this dish perfect!
I’m so happy to hear you loved it!! :)