Learn how to peel and cut butternut squash with these easy tips and tricks. Ditch the pricey pre-cut version and make perfectly cubed butternut squash in no time!
This delicious squash is one of my favorite fall vegetables. It has amazing flavor and is great for roasting. Some of my other top fall veggies are roasted brussel sprouts, glazed carrots, roasted red potatoes and bacon wrapped asparagus.
Fall is here and that means cooking with all of the fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season. First up on the list? Butternut squash! It’s one of the best vegetables to roast in the fall and winter!
And while cutting this delicious vegetable may seem difficult, it’s actually pretty simple. This method is by far the easiest way and will leave you with perfectly sized cubes in no time!
So ditch the pricey pre-cut cubes and learn how to cut your own the easy (and less expensive) way!
How to cut up butternut squash
Step 1: Precook in microwave
This is my #1 trick to make cutting butternut squash easier! Before you begin cutting, pierce it several times with a knife or fork. Then place the whole thing in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
This helps to slightly tenderize it and loosen up the skin a bit, resulting in an easier cutting and peeling process.
Step 2: Peel the skin
After it has been microwaved, the next step is peeling. Because the skin is on the tougher side, you don’t want to leave it on. Peel the exterior with a potato peeler until all skin is removed.
Step 3: Cut off ends and remove seeds
Next, slice the 2 ends off. This is a thick and dense veggie, so make sure to use a sharp knife. Remove the seeds with a spoon and wash the squash.
Step 4: Slice and cut into cubes
Then slice in half vertically down the middle. Then cut in half again. Working one section at a time, slice each of the pieces in horizontal lines (similar to picture below). Then slice into about 1″ cubes.
You can roast in slices if you’d like, but I prefer to roast in cubes because they get crispier.
Ways to use it
From side dishes to salads and everything in between – there are plenty of ways to use this delicious fall vegetable!
- Roasted butternut squash
- Slow cooker risotto with butternut squash and sausage
- Fall salad
- Butternut squash soup
- Winter roasted vegetables
- Vegetable soup
More easy tutorials:
- How to Cut a Mango
- Cooking Bacon in the Oven
- How to Make the Perfect Omelette
- Cooking Corn in the Microwave
- How to Cut an Avocado
How to Cut Butternut Squash
- 1 large butternut squash
- Before you begin cutting, pierce the squash several times with a knife or fork. Then place the whole squash in the microwave and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and peel with a potato peeler until all skin is removed.
- Next, slice the 2 ends off using a sharp knife. Remove the seeds with a spoon and wash the squash.
- Then slice in half vertically down the middle. Then cut in half again. Working one section at a time, slice each of the pieces in horizontal lines. Then slice into about 1″ cubes.