Slow Cooker Chicken Salad is a delicious make-ahead recipe that is perfect for lunches and potlucks. Made with some of the classic chicken salad ingredients but with a new spin.
Hello, there! This is Katie from The Casual Craftlete blog. I have to say that chicken salad is one of my all time favorite lunch recipes and today I am making it even easier by cooking the chicken in a slow cooker. This recipe is great to eat on all week or to make little sammies for potlucks.
I love chicken salad because of all the different textures you get. It’s creamy, crunchy, sweet, tangy, and just darn delicious. If making chicken salad intimidates you, then this is an easy recipe to try. By cooking the chicken in the slow cooker not only makes the chicken tender and juicy, but it can easily be prepared.
Slow Cooker Chicken Salad is so easy to make!
My slow cooker is my best friend. I use it a few times a week because there is little to no prep involved and I can set it and forget it. I start by cooking two pounds of boneless-skinless chicken breasts with chopped celery and onion. I added about 1/2 cup of low-sodium chicken broth and cooked on low for 3 to 4 hours. The chicken and vegetables will release there own juices too.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, I shredded the meat and seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. One tip I have for shredding chicken is to put the meat into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix. It makes perfectly shredded chicken every time.
I added some of my favorite ingredients like grapes, pecans, mayo, and fresh dill to finish the chicken salad recipe. Dill is a very strong herb, so if you are not a fan you can leave it out but I love the flavor it gives this recipe.
This slow cooker chicken salad recipe does make a big bowl. You can put it in the refrigerator and eat on it all week for lunch. I also like to make little sammies with potato rolls for pot lucks. This recipe should make 8 regular size sandwiches and 16 mini sandwiches.
Slow Cooker Chicken Salad
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 ribs of celery diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh dill *optional
- Combine chicken, onion, celery, and stock in to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Shred chicken either with a fork or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cool to room temperature.
- Add chicken to a bowl and mix in mayonnaise, grapes, pecans, salt, pepper, and dill.
- Spoon onto desired piece of bread and serve.
If you love this delicious recipe, you’ll enjoy these, too!