Slow cooker chicken salad is a delicious make-ahead recipe that is perfect for lunches and potlucks. Made with some of the classic chicken salad ingredients but with a new spin!
Table of Contents
Crockpot Chicken Salad
This crockpot chicken salad is one of my favorite easy lunch ideas. It’s quick, delicious and the slow cooker does all of the work for you! Some of my other top picks are egg salad sandwiches, chicken caesar wraps, grilled caprese sandwiches or a flatbread pesto pizza.
I have to say that chicken salad and this recipe for tuna salad are some of my all-time favorite lunch recipes! Today, though, I am making it even easier by cooking the chicken in the slow cooker! It’s great to eat on all week for lunches or to make little sliders for potlucks.
I love chicken salad because of all the different textures you get. It’s creamy, crunchy, sweet, tangy, and just darn delicious. If making the classic chicken salad intimidates you, then this is an easy recipe to try. Cooking the meat in the slow cooker not only makes it tender and juicy, but it can easily be prepared.
I added some of my favorite ingredients like grapes, pecans, mayo, and fresh dill to finish the recipe. Dill is a very strong herb, so if you are not a fan, you can leave it out. But I love the flavor it gives this recipe.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken breasts: About 2 pounds that are boneless and skinless.
- Mayonnaise: I only used mayo, but a mixture of mayo + Greek yogurt works too.
- Chicken stock: This keeps the meat moist and flavorful. Look for low-sodium stock.
- Fruit & veggies: I like to add in diced yellow onion, celery and red seedless grapes.
- Nuts: Pecans are my favorite, but walnuts, cashews or almonds taste great too.
- Seasoning: I always add in fresh dill for more flavor. Make sure to also S&P to taste.
- Extras: Feel free to add in extras like diced apples, dried cranberries, green onions, garlic powder, onion powder and more.
How to Make Chicken Salad in the Crockpot
Step 1: Cook meat in crockpot
Add two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts to the bottom of your crockpot with chopped celery and onion. Pour about 1/2 cup of low-sodium stock on top and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until meat is cooked through and tender.
Step 2: Shred the meat
Shred the meat (check out my favorite methods above). Let cool completely at room temperature.
Step 3: Mix in remaining ingredients
Add the meat to a bowl and mix in mayo, grapes, pecans, salt, pepper and dill.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Serve on a croissant, piece of bread, crackers or lettuce wrap. Add any other desired toppings such as lettuce or tomato. Enjoy!
What’s the Best Way to Shred Chicken?
- Fork method: The most common way to shred chicken is by using 2 forks. Simply stick one fork in the breast and use the other fork to pull the meat away.
- Mixer method: love to use a hand mixer to easily shred the meat. You could also put it into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Then turn it to low and mix until shredded. It makes perfectly shredded chicken every time!
There are plenty of ways to serve this shredded chicken salad! I just love how versatile it is. Check out some yummy options below:
- Sandwich: Serve on toasted bread, french bread or make a chicken salad croissant.
- Wrap: Use a tortilla or pita pocket or naan to make a wrap.
- Lettuce cup: Add on top of a romaine lettuce cup for a healthier option.
- Sliders: Make mini sliders using potato rolls or Hawaiian rolls.
- Crackers: Use a knife to spread on top of crackers.
- Greens: Place spring mix in a bowl and top with chicken salad and any other preferred salad toppings.
This recipe does make a big bowl, so you’ll likely have leftovers unless you’re feeding a large crowd. You can put it in the refrigerator and eat on it all week for lunch. It will keep in the fridge for about 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Shredded Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup yellow onion , diced
- ½ cup celery , diced
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup red seedless grapes , quartered
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- fresh dill , optional
Optional add-ins: Diced apple, dried cranberries, walnuts, cashews, almonds, green onion
For Serving: Bread, croissant, tortilla, pita, lettuce cup, crackers, roll, spring mix
- Combine chicken, onion, celery and stock in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Shred the chicken and drain any juice. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place cooled chicken in a large bowl and mix in mayonnaise, grapes, pecans, salt, pepper, and dill.
- Serve on a croissant, piece of bread, crackers or lettuce wrap. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!