An easy and hearty meal made with beef, burgundy wine, fresh vegetables, and herbs, all cooked to perfection within the slow cooker! The alcohol is cooked out, leaving a rich and thick liquid for the beef and vegetables to cook in.
Slow cooker recipes allow you to enjoy tender, tasty meals that cook for you while you go about your day. Some of my other favorites are slow cooker chicken enchilada soup, crockpot honey chicken and these shredded beef tacos.
If you haven’t had beef bourguignon before, you are in for a real treat! This recipe tastes almost like a beef stew but it has slightly different ingredients and more depth of flavor.
Beef Bourguignon is a traditional French recipe made with stew meat, garlic, onions, mushrooms, beef broth, burgundy wine, and a bundle of herbs.
The word “Bourguignon” means it’s a dish that comes from the French region of Bourgogne, which we call Buruandy in English.
This is the perfect recipe to make when you want something that is hearty and flavorful. My kids love this recipe—even if they can’t pronounce it properly. :)
Beef Bourguignon in the Crockpot
There is one simple trick to getting this dish super rich and flavorful. Before you place all the ingredients into the slow cooker, brown the stew meat in a pan on the stove. This allows the outside of the meat to get a nice brown crust.
- Start by coating 2 pounds of stew beef with salt, pepper, and flour.
- Add olive oil to a large pan on the stove and cook half of the meat about 6 minutes or until a brown crust has formed.
- Add that batch of beef to the slow cooker.
- Cook the second batch of beef for an additional 6 minutes.
- Once that batch has cooked, add the beef to the slow cooker.
- Next, pour in beef stock, burgundy wine, and tomato paste to the pan.
- Simmer until the alcohol is cooked out, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the bits.
If you don’t have time, you can skip this step but I highly recommended cooking the beef first before putting into the slow cooker. You will get a much better flavor this way—while still keeping this an easy recipe.
What to serve with this dish
This recipe is hearty and delicious enough to be a meal in itself. Alternatively, you could also serve the beef with:
More Slow Cooker Dinners:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Crockpot Hawaiian Meatballs
- Easy Crockpot Lasagna
- White Chicken Chili
Beef Bourguignon Slow Cooker Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds stewing beef , cut into large 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme and 3 fresh bay leaves , tied in a bundle
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste , a heaping Tbsp
- 3 cloves garlic , crushed
- 3 carrots , peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound small white skinned potatoes , left whole if small, or cut in large chunks
- 1 bag frozen mushrooms
- 1 bag frozen pearl onions
- Heat olive oil in large heavy saute pan or stock pot. In a large bowl, toss stew meat with the salt, pepper, and flour, When the oil is hot, brown the meat, in 2 batches, until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes per batch. Put the meat in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add Burgundy wine, beef stock and tomato paste. Simmer and scrape the bottom of the pan to get the bits. Pour the liquid from the pan into the slow cooker for the beef.
- Add the garlic, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and pearl onions to the slow cooker. Place the bundle of fresh herbs on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- At the end of cooking, remove the bundle of thyme season to taste.
- Serve the stew with a sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves.