These shredded beef tacos are a great meal for busy school nights. They are so simple – the slow cooker does all the work for you. The whole family will love them!
Table of Contents
Easy Beef Tacos
I’m all about easy slow cooker meals. And when you combine that with Mexican food – it’s a match made in heaven! These crockpot shredded beef tacos are a favorite, as well as slow cooker carnitas, taco lasagna and green chili burritos.
When I don’t have hours to make my beef birria recipe, these slow cooker shredded beef tacos are one of my family’s favorite meals for taco Tuesday. They taste great topped with fresh pico de gallo and can be served on both regular hard shell tacos or soft flour tortillas. We’ve even used this shredded beef for burritos and chimichangas as well.
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets is my slow cooker. With school starting up, I have a feeling I will be using it a lot more. It’s so nice because you can put everything in the slow cooker in the morning and then have a 5-ingredient crockpot meal ready to go by the time the kids are home. Wa -lah! This meal is quick and absolutely delicious!
How to Make Shredded Beef Tacos
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Add roast to crockpot. Place the beef in the slow cooker and pour the water in. Then season the meat with salt and pepper. Add in the salsa, green chiles, chili powder and cumin.
- Cook. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the meat is tender and will easily shred.
- Shred. Remove roast from crockpot and discard any fat that’s on the meat. Use two forks to shred the beef and then place back in the slow cooker with the juices. Turn to the warm setting until ready to serve.
Instant Pot Version
For a quicker alternative, try making this easy Instant Pot shredded beef. It gets equally as tender and delicious, but in a fraction of the time!
Once the beef is shredded, it’s time to begin assembling your tacos! Place the meat inside a taco shell and then add any of the delicious toppings below. My favorite topping is fresh pico de gallo…I love using fresh ingredients from my garden to make it!
- Pico de gallo
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Pickled onions
- Drizzle of cilantro lime dressing
- Crockpot liner. Another reason to love the slow cooker…using a liner! No extra dishes and a super easy clean up.
- Best cut of beef. I like to use a boneless beef chuck roast. It gets perfectly tender and juicy in the crockpot and is super easy to shred. Plus it soaks up all the flavors and tastes so delicious.
- Spicy. If you like heat, feel free to add more chili powder, green chiles or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- More flavor. You can add in some minced garlic and chopped onions for even more flavor.
- Low and slow. Chuck roast needs to cook low and slow, so make sure you put the meat in the crockpot in the morning so that it can cook all day. Don’t try to cook it on high speed for less time…the meat won’t be as tender and juicy.
- Repurpose leftovers. This shredded beef is so versatile…you can use leftovers to make a totally new dish! Use it for sheet pan nachos, beef enchiladas or as a filling for taco pockets.
This shredded beef is perfect for freezing! Simply place any leftover meat in a zip top bag to freeze for later. I like to write the date on the bag with a permanent marker. Then store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Let thaw in the fridge overnight, or set at room temperature for a few hours until no longer frozen. If I’m in a pinch, I’ll run the bag under warm water to thaw the meat faster.
Other Types of Tacos
Shredded Beef Tacos
- 4-5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- ½ cup water , or beef broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder , more if desired
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
S&P, to taste
Optional: flour tortillas or shells, pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro
- Place the chuck roast into a slow cooker. Pour water into the crockpot and then salt and pepper the roast.
- Add the salsa, green chiles, chili powder and cumin. Place the lid on top and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until it easily shreds.
- Remove roast from crockpot and take off any fat. Shred the meat with two forks and then place back in the slow cooker. Turn to warm until ready to serve.
- Place shredded beef inside a taco shell and then add your favorite toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!