These shredded beef tacos are a great meal for busy school nights. They are so simple – the slow cooker does all the work for you. The whole family will love them!
I’m all about easy slow cooker meals. And when you combine that with Mexican food – it’s a match made in heaven! These crockpot shredded beef tacos are a favorite, as well as slow cooker carnitas, taco lasagna, crockpot chicken tacos and chicken taco bowls.
Crockpot beef tacos
These slow cooker shredded beef tacos are one of my family’s favorite meals. They taste great topped with fresh pico de gallo and can be served on both regular hard shell tacos or soft tortillas. We’ve even used this shredded beef for burritos and chimichangas as well.
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets is my slow cooker. With school starting up, I have a feeling I will be using it a lot more. It’s so nice because you can put everything in the slow cooker in the morning and then have a meal ready to go by the time the kids are home. Wa -lah! This meal is quick and absolutely delicious!
What is a good cut of beef for shredding?
I like to use a boneless beef chuck roast for making shredded beef. It gets perfectly tender and juicy in the crockpot and is super easy to shred. Plus it soaks up all the flavors and tastes so delicious. This type of beef needs to cook low and slow, so make sure you put it in the crockpot in the morning so that it can cook all day!
How to make shredded beef tacos
Scroll down for the printable shredded beef taco recipe.
- Add chuck roast to crockpot. Place chuck roast in slow cooker and pour water in. Salt and pepper the roast.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook. Add in salsa, green chiles, chili powder and cumin. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until tender.
- Shred beef. Remove roast from crockpot and take off any fat. Shred the meat with two forks and then place back in the slow cooker. Turn to warm until ready to serve.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy! Place shredded beef inside a taco shell and then add your favorite toppings.
Shredded beef tacos toppings
My favorite topping for these shredded beef tacos is pico de gallo. I like to use fresh ingredients from my garden to make it. I could live off that stuff. So good! Below are a few toppings that would taste yummy:
How to serve shredded beef tacos
We love to serve the shredded beef inside either corn or flour tortillas. Both taste delicious! You could even use it to make a taco salad or taco bowl. If you’re looking for a side that goes with shredded beef tacos, try serving them with cilantro lime rice or Mexican rice. Street corn would make a great side dish as well.
Can you freeze pulled beef?
Yes, this shredded beef is perfect for freezing! Simply place any leftover beef in a zip top bag to freeze for later. I like to write the date on the bag with a permanent marker. The shredded beef will stay good up to six months in the freezer.
Shredded Beef Taco Recipe
- 4-5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/2 cup water , or beef broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder , more if desired
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
S&P, to taste
Optional: flour tortillas or shells, pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro
- Place the chuck roast into a slow cooker. Pour water into the crockpot and then salt and pepper the roast.
- Add the salsa, green chiles, chili powder and cumin. Place the lid on top and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until it easily shreds.
- Remove roast from crockpot and take off any fat. Shred the meat with two forks and then place back in the slow cooker. Turn to warm until ready to serve.
- Place shredded beef inside a taco shell and then add your favorite toppings.