Two soft chocolate cake mix cookies filled with cream cheese frosting. These homemade Oreos are super easy to make and completely addicting!
I used my traditional cake mix cookie recipe to make this fun Oreo variation. All you need is a box of devil’s food cake mix, eggs and butter to make the cookies. Then whip up a quick batch of cream cheese frosting to use as the filling. Sandwich them together and then dig in!
Today I’m going to share with you how to make these SUPER easy and yummy homemade Oreos that I made for a mini tailgate party. Wow they are sure addicting! Make sure you have a crowd to feed these…that’s all I’m going to say!
These Oreo cookies are make with a cake mix, making them super easy. You only need 3 simple ingredients. You could use canned cream cheese frosting for the filling, but I promise it’s worth the extra time to make it homemade. These cookies are seriously to die for!
How to make homemade Oreos
- COOKIES. Mix together the cake mix, eggs and softened butter just until combined. Scoop and roll the dough into balls, then place on a lined baking sheet. Push the dough balls flat with your hand. Bake at 350°F for 6 to 8 minutes, until the centers are set (you don’t want them to brown). Let cool on pan, then move to a cooling rack.
- FROSTING. Using an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. To make thicker, mix in more powdered sugar until desired consistency is met.
- ASSEMBLY. Spread or pipe the frosting over the BOTTOM of one cookie, then place another cookie on top. Repeat until all cookies are gone.
Tips + variations
- Cake mix. I love using Devil’s food cake mix because it has a bold, rich chocolate flavor. A classic chocolate cake mix would also work.
- Butter substitute. You may use vegetable oil in place of butter if preferred, although butter makes the cookies a little thicker.
- Filling. Cream cheese frosting is my absolute favorite. You could also use a traditional buttercream or a marshmallow frosting.
- Don’t overbake. Bake the cookies just until the centers no longer look wet. Be careful not to over bake (so they stay soft and delicious).
- Let cool. Make sure the cookies have cooled completely before adding the filling. If they are still warm, the filling will melt and they wont’ stay sandwiched together.
More delicious Oreo desserts:
- Oreo brownies
- Easy Oreo pie crust
- 3-ingredient Oreo balls
- Oreo ice cream cake
- Chocolate dipped Oreos
- 30.5 ounces Devil's food cake mix (2 packages)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup softened butter (or can use 2/3 cup oil)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs and butter together in a large bowl. Mix just until combined. Roll dough into a ball and push flat on the pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the centers no longer look wet. Be careful not to over bake. Allow them to cool on the pan for a couple minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, whip up your cream cheese frosting. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer. Once smooth, slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if desired for a thicker frosting.
- Frost the BOTTOM of the cookies and then grab another cookie to put on top.