Rich and fluffy marshmallow frosting made with just 4 simple ingredients! Tastes delicious frosted on top of cookies, cupcakes, cakes and more.
Table of Contents
Light and Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting
I first tried this frosting when I made homemade oatmeal cream pies for Christmas a few years ago. After the first bite, I was hooked! It has the perfect consistency and amazing marshmallow flavor. I could seriously just eat it with a spoon!
This marshmallow frosting takes your classic buttercream frosting up a notch. The added marshmallow cream does wonders to the consistency and makes it super fluffy and delicious. It’s perfectly sweet and rich and makes a great compliment to so many desserts. Trust me, this stuff would taste good on just about anything!
4 Simple Ingredients
- Butter: Softened salted butter works best. If using unsalted, add 1/4 teaspoon salt for every stick of butter.
- Powdered sugar: This helps make it sweet and creamy. Add more or less powdered sugar depending on the type of consistency you want.
- Marshmallow creme: Also known as marshmallow fluff. You’ll need 1 jar.
- Vanilla extract: For an extra boost of flavor.
How to Make Marshmallow Frosting
- COMBINE. To get started, add all of the ingredients to the bottom of a large mixing bowl.
- MIX. Using an electric mixer, mix until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- STORE. Cover the frosting and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To thin it out a little, mix in 1-2 Tablespoons of milk or heavy cream. Add more powdered sugar to thicken the frosting if needed.
- If frosting cupcakes, you want the consistency to be thick enough to hold a point. If frosting cookies, I prefer it a bit thinner so that it can easily spread on top.
- This recipe makes enough frosting for 12-15 cupcakes if using a piping tip. It will frost about 24 cupcakes if you spread it on with a knife.
- If adding on any extra toppings, make sure to do it immediately after you frost your dessert so that it sticks.
More Recipes to Use it On
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- ½ cup salted butter (softened)
- 1 to 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the butter, powdered sugar, marshmallow creme and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix with beaters until smooth and creamy. Add more powdered sugar if needed to thicken, or a Tablespoon of milk if needed to thin it out.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Frost on cookies or add to a piping bag and frost cakes or cupcakes.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Does it harden at all? I plan to put it on cookies, and I wanna know if I could stack them.
This is more of a softer frosting, so I’m not sure they’d stack as well.
Very good and easy to make.
Had no idea it could be so easy to make marshmallow frosting! Loved it!
Delicious on top of chocolate cookies! We loved it.