Rich and fluffy marshmallow frosting made with just 4 simple ingredients! Tastes delicious frosted on top of cookies, cupcakes, cakes and more.
Table of Contents
Light and Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting
I first tried this frosting when I made homemade oatmeal cream pies for Christmas a few years ago. After the first bite, I was hooked! It has the perfect consistency and amazing marshmallow flavor. I could seriously just eat it with a spoon!
This marshmallow frosting takes your classic buttercream up a notch. The added marshmallow cream does wonders to the consistency and makes it super fluffy and delicious. It’s perfectly sweet and rich and makes a great compliment to so many desserts. Trust me, this stuff would taste good on just about anything!
4 Simple Ingredients
- Butter: Softened salted butter works best. If using unsalted, add 1/4 teaspoon salt for every stick of butter.
- Powdered sugar: This helps make it sweet and creamy. Add more or less powdered sugar depending on the type of consistency you want.
- Marshmallow creme: Also known as marshmallow fluff. You’ll need 1 jar.
- Vanilla extract: For an extra boost of flavor.
How to Make Marshmallow Frosting
- COMBINE. To get started, add all of the ingredients to the bottom of a large mixing bowl.
- MIX. Using an electric mixer, mix until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- STORE. Cover the frosting and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To thin it out a little, mix in 1-2 Tablespoons of milk or heavy cream. Add more powdered sugar to thicken the frosting if needed.
- If frosting cupcakes, you want the consistency to be thick enough to hold a point. If frosting cookies, I prefer it a bit thinner so that it can easily spread on top.
- This recipe makes enough frosting for 12-15 cupcakes if using a piping tip. It will frost about 24 cupcakes if you spread it on with a knife.
- If adding on any extra toppings, make sure to do it immediately after you frost your dessert so that it sticks.
More Recipes to Use it On
- 1/2 cup salted butter (softened)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 ounce jar marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the butter, powdered sugar, marshmallow creme and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix with beaters until smooth and creamy. Add more powdered sugar if needed to thicken, or a Tablespoon of milk if needed to thin it out.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Frost on cookies or add to a piping bag and frost cakes or cupcakes.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!