Chocolate covered Oreos make the classic cookie even better! They’re a simple way to satisfy any sweet craving and a fun and easy addition to your holiday dessert tray!
Easy Chocolate Dipped Oreos
Oreos dipped in chocolate sounds simple enough, right? That’s because it is! Sometimes, the simplest things are the best things and this chocolate-covered Oreos recipe is one of them. What a fun and easy way to elevate a popular cookie without any from-scratch baking. There’s nothing complicated about it so older kids can do this all on their own!
A hardened melted chocolate coating over a crunchy chocolate cookie with a cream filling is a mouthful of yum! It’s one of the best holiday desserts to add to a hot chocolate charcuterie board or Christmas dessert board for a treat table that will impress any crowd.
How to Make Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Learn how to melt the chocolate in a few different ways. I use the microwave but you do what works for you.
- Dip each Oreo into the chocolate to coat it completely.
- Set on a parchment-lined baking sheet and allow it to set and harden.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate, whether the same kind or different, as a decoration.
- Allow it to set once more.
- Melt chocolate until there are no more lumps. You want a smooth consistency.
- Work quickly and dip the cookies before the chocolate starts to harden.
- Using a fork to place in and lift out the cookie helps with even coating and no finger smudges.
- Allow excess chocolate to fall off the cookie.
- For clean outer lines, once the cookie is set on the parchment paper, use a toothpick and draw a circle around the rim of the cookie to get rid of any extra chocolate.
- Turn a chocolate-dipped cookie into a cookie pop! Place a lollipop into the creamy center before dipping and once set, wrap in cellophane. They would make such cute gifts too!
- Top with festive colored sprinkles, gold flakes, or crushed peppermint candies.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate using a piping bag. You can even pipe on fun designs like I did with these Christmas Oreos.
- Add extra Oreo crumbs on top.
- I use chocolate candy melting wafers because they’re super easy to use but if you want to go for the more high-quality chocolate like Ghirardelli, go for it.
- Use milk, dark, or semi-sweet chocolate, depending on preference. You may even want to do a few of each.
- White chocolate-covered Oreos are also an option! As are green and red because chocolate candy melts come in all sorts of different colors.
- Make these with different flavored Oreos.
How to Store Chocolate Covered Oreos
No need to keep these in the fridge! Although the temptation of having them on the counter has been known to be hard to resist ;) Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks!
More Easy Oreo Treats:
Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 12 ounces milk chocolate candy melting wafers
- white chocolate candy melting wafers
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment. Set aside.
- Pour the chocolate melting wafers into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat for one minute at 50% power, then stir. Continue to heat in 20 second intervals at 50% power until melted, stirring well in between. You may also use a double broiler if preferred. Make sure there are no lumps in the chocolate and that it is smooth and easy to stir.
- Place the Oreo cookies on a fork and dip one by one into the melted chocolate. Turn with a fork to coat completely in chocolate. When the entire cookie is covered with chocolate, lift it out using the fork.
- Tap the fork on the side of the bowl several times to let the excess chocolate drip off.
- Slide the Oreo cookie onto the prepared baking sheet with a toothpick and allow to cool completely. Draw a circle around the base with a toothpick if there is excess chocolate, to get a clean circle. Repeat with remaining Oreos. Allow to set.
- Place remaining chocolate in a zip top bag or melt some more. Snip the tip of the bag and then drizzle chocolate across the top. Allow to set. Store in a covered container up to 3 weeks.
- Use white, milk or dark chocolate depending on flavor preference.
- Make with different flavor of Oreos.
- Decorate with colored sprinkles.
- Top with chopped nuts.
- Add crushed candy canes.
- Sprinkle the top with crushed Oreo crumbs.
- Place on a lollypop stick before dipping and then wrap in cellophane.