Chocolate-covered Oreos make the classic cookie even better! They’re a simple way to satisfy any sweet craving and a fun and easy addition to your holiday dessert tray!
Table of Contents
Easy Chocolate Dipped Oreos
Oreos dipped in chocolate sounds simple enough, right? That’s because it is! Sometimes, the simplest things are the best things and this chocolate-covered Oreos recipe is one of them. What a fun and easy way to elevate a popular cookie without any from-scratch baking. There’s nothing complicated about it so older kids can do this all on their own!
A hardened melted chocolate coating over a crunchy chocolate cookie with a cream filling is a mouthful of yum! It’s one of the best holiday desserts to add to a hot chocolate charcuterie board or Christmas dessert board for a treat table that will impress any crowd.
This is a decadent dessert that is quick and easy to make with only two ingredients. You can’t go wrong with this chocolate-covered Oreo recipe. It is truly the best! Perfect for sharing with friends and family, saving for game night, or hiding in the pantry eating one on those hard days!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Milk chocolate: Candy melting wafers work well for melting and not having lumps in your chocolate.
- Oreo cookies: The main ingredient! Pick your favorite type of Oreo flavor then use them to dip. I used original or double stuffed when making my dipped Oreos.
- White chocolate: This will be the drizzle over top of the covered Oreos. Use food coloring to change the color depending on the holiday or event.
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Oreos
Chocolate-covered Oreos are quick and easy to make but also a lot of fun to have littles helping you! They don’t take too long to put together.
- Learn how to melt the chocolate in a few different ways. I use the microwave but you do what works for you.
- Dip each Oreo into the chocolate to coat it completely.
- Set on a parchment-lined baking sheet and allow it to set and harden.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate, whether the same kind or different, as a decoration.
- Allow it to set once more.
Take these to the next level with these helpful tips! Melting chocolate can be tricky sometimes and these ideas can help make your chocolate-covered Oreos a lot easier. Follow these tips to make the best Oreo chocolates!
- Melt chocolate until there are no more lumps. You want a smooth consistency.
- Work quickly and dip the cookies before the chocolate starts to harden.
- Using a fork to place in and lift out the cookie helps with even coating and no finger smudges.
- Allow excess chocolate to fall off the cookie.
- For clean outer lines, once the cookie is set on the parchment paper, use a toothpick and draw a circle around the rim of the cookie to get rid of any extra chocolate.
- Turn a chocolate-dipped cookie into a cookie pop! Place a lollipop into the creamy center before dipping and once set, wrap in cellophane. They would make such cute gifts too!
- Top with festive-colored sprinkles, gold flakes, or crushed peppermint candies.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate using a piping bag. You can even pipe on fun designs as I did with these Christmas Oreos.
- Add extra Oreo crumbs on top.
- Make white chocolate-covered Oreos.
With only two ingredients, it is hard to have too many variations with covered Oreos. Here are a few extra ideas to make your Oreos the best! Have fun with these cookies and use some of these ideas to help!
- I use chocolate candy melting wafers because they’re super easy to use but if you want to go for the more high-quality chocolate like Ghirardelli, go for it.
- Use milk, dark, or semi-sweet chocolate, depending on preference. You may even want to do a few of each.
- White chocolate-covered Oreos are also an option! Try green and red because chocolate candy melts come in all sorts of different colors.
- Make these with different flavored Oreos.
Add spoonfuls of melted chocolate to a muffin tin. Using a fork or spoon, place the Oreo in the muffin circles and flip the Oreo around until it is covered. If you are working with white and chocolate melting wafers, this is perfect for several colors.
Depending on how many times the Oreo was dipped in the chocolate depends on how long it takes. Usually, wait about an hour to make sure that they are not sticky on parchment paper.
“This is seriously so easy to make and always a hit because who doesn’t love Oreos?!”-Trang
How to Store Chocolate-Covered Oreos
No need to keep these in the fridge! Although the temptation of having them on the counter has been known to be hard to resist ;) Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks!
Are you looking for more easy desserts to make!? Try these cake mix cookies, chocolate peanut butter balls, or these delicious Rolo pretzel turtles.
More Easy Oreo Treats
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 12 ounces milk chocolate candy melting wafers
- 24 Oreo cookies
- White chocolate candy melting wafers
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment.
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate candy melting wafers. Heat 1 minute at 50% power and stir. Continue to heat at 30-second intervals at 50% power until melted, stirring well in between. Make sure there are no lumps in the chocolate and that it is smooth and easy to stir. You may also use a double broiler if preferred.
- Place the Oreos on a fork and dip them into the melted chocolate. Turn to coat completely in chocolate. When the entire cookie is covered with chocolate, lift it out using the fork. Tap the fork on the side of the bowl several times to let the excess chocolate drip off.
- Slide the Oreo onto the baking sheet with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining Oreos. If there is excess chocolate, draw a circle around the base of the cookie with a toothpick to get a clean circle. Repeat with remaining Oreos.
- Option 1: Sprinkle the top with sprinkles and let cool.
- Option 2: Once the chocolate has set on the cookies, pipe the top with melted chocolate (follow step 1 and then place melted chocolate in a zip-top bag before snipping the tip of the corner). Let set.
- Use white, milk, or dark chocolate depending on flavor preference.
- Make with different flavors of Oreos.
- Decorate with colored sprinkles.
- Top with chopped nuts.
- Add crushed candy canes.
- Sprinkle the top with crushed Oreo crumbs.
- Place on a lollypop stick before dipping and then wrap in cellophane.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I want to make some Christmas cookies for my 3yr old Grandson at our family get together but he has peanut and egg allergies. Hard to find recipes that don’t have both in them. These will be perfect! He can have Oreos so this will be what I make! ❤️
So simple and delicious! ❤️
This is really a great treat idea!! My enjoyed making and eating these!!
This is seriously so easy to make and always a hit because who doesn’t love Oreos?!?
Yes, exactly!! :)
These did not last long at our house! They are SO delicious!