I love holiday baking…
I especially love the chocolate peppermint combo…
I’m pretty sure you are BOUND to find one chocolate/mint recipe on this blog that you will love. In case you missed them:
- Thin mint brownies
- Chocolate cookies with candy cane butter cream
- Peppermint brownies in a jar
- Peppermint brownies with candy cane butter cream
- Chewy chocolate cookies with peppermint chips
- Chocolate chunk peppermint pudding cookies
- Chocolate cookies with candy cane kisses.
Today I’m going to share with you a simple and cute gift to make for your friends and neighbors… that will only cost you a couple bucks! YEA!
Peppermint oreos in a jar! These are fantastic and so simple to make. Let’s get started shall we?
Homemade peppermint oreos gift idea
For the Batter:
- 15.25 oz devil's food cake (1 box)
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter (softened)
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk (or heavy whipping cream)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup Andi’s crushed peppermints
- Combine egg and butter in a large bowl. Mix until combined. Pour in devil’s food cake and mix until the batter is smooth (about 2 min). Roll dough into a ball and push flat onto a lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Remove to cooling rack and allow cookies to completely cool.
- For frosting: Mix together butter. Next add milk, vanilla and peppermint extract. Then slowly add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Frost one cookie on the BOTTOM and then sandwich another cookie on top. I like to use a lot of frosting (make sure it’s coming out the sides). Then dip the sides of the cookie into crushed peppermint andis.
To turn these into a fun gift I found these jars/vases at the Dollar Tree. I layered my cookies in the jar and then placed a coffee filter on top.
I added a glue dot to hold down the coffee filter. Those things are great! Then I tied a ribbon on top and it was ready to go!
For more Christmas ideas make sure to check out this post HERE. I hope you all have a Happy Holidays! Thanks for reading! :D
If you liked this post, check out these: