One Pan Chicken with Apples is an easy and rustic dinner option made with healthy vegetables and apples. This dish is the quintessential fall recipe!
This apple chicken is one of my favorite fall dinner ideas. It is always on rotation in the fall, as well as one pan dijon chicken and potatoes, chipotle chicken and corn chowder and hearty vegetable soup.
By Katie from The Casual Craftlete for I Heart Naptime.
With the seasons changing, I am sharing a one pan meal that has all the fall flavors and is super easy to make. The great thing about this recipe is that the meat, vegetables, and fruit are all cooked in the same pan making cleanup so simple. Not only is this dish easy, but it is also healthy!
This time of year apples are in season at the local orchards and I love coming up with recipes using them. This is a savory dish with apples, so it’s completely different than your typical apple recipe. It tastes like all of the flavors of fall and is a complete comfort meal in one pan. Definitely one of my favorite fall dinner ideas!
We eat a lot of chicken in my house, mainly because it’s a healthy protein and is the only meat my daughter will eat. So this one pan chicken with apples starts out with chicken and also includes bacon, too. Because anything with bacon is delicious. :) Then I added in lots of fall vegetables to the one pan meal to make it one of the most perfect fall recipes!
How to make apple chicken
- Cook the chicken and bacon separately and lay on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. In the meantime the vegetables get cooked.
- Saute sweet potatoes, broccoli, chopped onion, and garlic in reserved bacon fat. Once the vegetables are tender, apples, cinnamon, and dried herbs are added along with chicken stock. The chicken stock incorporates into the other ingredients and you are done!
This easy One Pan Chicken with Apples is a complete meal. It is a savory fall dinner recipe but it slightly sweet from the apples and cinnamon. It really is hearty, healthy, and yummy. Enjoy!
One Pan Chicken with Apples
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 2 granny smith apples cored, and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken stock divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick pan over medium high heat, until hot and shimmering. Add the diced chicken, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until lightly brown and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plated lined with paper towels.
- Reduce the pan heat to medium low. Add chopped bacon and cook until crisp and brown. Resevere 1 1/2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Transfer bacon to the plate that the chicken is on using a slotted spoon.
- Increase the heat back to medium high. Add broccoli, sweet potato, onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 1 minute, then pour in 1/2 cup of the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cook until the stock has evaporated. Add the chicken and remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock. Cooked until heated through. Then add the bacon and serve warm.