This chocolate poke cake is filled with ooey gooey caramel sauce and topped with even more chocolate. This recipe is super easy, quick and absolutely delicious!
Table of Contents
Chocolate Lovers Rejoice
When it comes to easy cake recipes, this chocolate poke cake is at the top of my list. It’s simple, quick and made with minimal ingredients. Some of my other easy favorites are better than anything cake, dump cake, Texas sheet cake and tres leches cake.
There’s something about the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk caramel combination that is simply irresistible! And this chocolate poke cake is just that…a fluffy and moist chocolate cake that is seriously amazing and surprisingly really easy too!
This recipe is a spin off from my better than anything cake and chocolate dump cake, it is perfect for any type of celebration, whether it’s Father’s Day, a birthday, a graduation party or just an average day!
I doctored up a box of cake mix to make this recipe a little easier and your guests would never know. Trust me, they’ll think you made the most amazing homemade dessert in all the land. :)
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Devil’s food cake: You’ll need 1 box of devils food cake mix, plus the ingredients listed on the box.
- Sour cream: This makes the cake lighter and gives it a slight bit of tartness.
- Chocolate chips: I used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, but any that you have on hand will work.
- Sweetened condensed milk: I like to use the sweetened condensed milk, however you could use dulce de leche, if preferred.
- Frosting: Dark chocolate pudding mix, milk, Cool Whip, and cocoa powder are turned into a light and airy frosting that is so easy and tastes delicious!
- Chocolate shavings. I love to top the cake with these or chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Poke Cake
This cake is so simple to make and is as easy as baking a boxed cake.
- Mix batter then bake. Mix the cake batter according to package directions and stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Bake according to the directions and then remove from oven to cool.
- Poke holes. Using the end of a wooden spoon or butter knife, poke holes all over top of cake.
- Drizzle on condensed milk. Next drizzle the sweetened condensed milk on top. If it’s too thick, warm for about a minute in the microwave. Let soak into holes of cake.
- Make the frosting. Stir together the pudding mix and milk. Let sit 1 minute. Fold in the Cool Whip and cocoa powder.
- Top with frosting. When it’s at room temperature, top with frosting and add chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate and serve. Chill in refrigerator until serving. Enjoy!
A poke cake is called that because you poke holes in the cake after baking and then fill the holes with pudding, jello or in the case of this chocolate poke cake sweetened condensed milk. It makes the cake moist, rich and so delicious!
Yes, you can make this recipe the day before. The cake needs to chill in the fridge prior to serving anyways (so that the flavors will meld), so feel free to make it a day in advance. Simply cover with a lid or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until serving.
Of course! I love the homemade version for how light and airy it is in contract to the richness of the cake, but store-bought frosting will work in a pinch.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Chocolate Lovers Dream Recipes
Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 (3.5-ounce) box dark chocolate pudding mix
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1-2 Tablespoons cocoa powder , plus more to taste
- Chocolate shavings , or mini chocolate chips (for topping)
- In a large bowl, make the cake batter according to package directions. Stir in the sour cream and chocolate chips. Bake the cake according to the package directions. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool slightly. Poke holes all over the top with the end of a spoon or a butter knife.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the cake. If it is too thick, melt in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave 1 minute. Let the topping soak into the holes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pudding mix and milk. Let sit 1 minute. Fold in the Cool Whip and cocoa powder.
- Once the cake is at room temperature, carefully top with the chocolate frosting. Sprinkle chocolate shavings over the top.
- Chill at least 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving. Slice and enjoy!
- Turtle Poke Cake: Use a chocolate buttercream in place of the frosting and then drizzle with caramel sauce and pecans.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!