A super soft pumpkin spiced sheet cake topped with a delicious creamy topping. These are the absolute BEST pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting!
This dessert is everything I love about fall. The bars are soft, moist and loaded with pumpkin spice flavor. They might be my favorite of all time, although it’s a close race between these and my soft pumpkin cookies and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
Favorite Pumpkin Dessert
It’s the best time of the year…pumpkin time! One of my ALL time favorite pumpkin recipes is pumpkin bars! However, they must be super moist and fluffy with rich cream cheese frosting. If you’re looking for an easy homemade recipe from scratch, look no further!
I first got this recipe when I first got married and have made them every year since. They are a fall staple around our house.
My kids love to decorate them with candy corn and pumpkins on top. You can always sprinkle a little cinnamon or nutmeg on top as well. Seriously so delicious!
How to make pumpkin bars
These pumpkin bars are simple to make and taste absolutely delicious. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Prepare. Gather all your ingredients. Preheat the oven, butter your pan and set aside.
- Mix. Start mixing your ingredients together. I find that sifting the flour and spices together makes these bars extra fluffy. I also find not over-mixing the batter helps the pumpkin bars to stay nice and fluffy.
- Bake. Bake just until lightly browned. You do not want to burn them. Then allow them to cool and frost with the most delicious cream cheese frosting (and try not to sneak a bite during the process!)
- You can use a smaller 9×13″ pan for thicker bars if preferred. You’ll need to cook them longer, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Feel free to mix chopped nuts or chocolate chips into the batter.
- Add decorations on top like a candy pumpkin, candy corn or fall sprinkles.
- Sometimes I sprinkle extra cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice on top for even more flavor.
- A sour cream frosting or maple cream cheese frosting would also taste delicious.
- I like to refrigerate the dessert before serving so that the frosting has time to set.
Storing + freezing
Cover the bars with a lid or plastic wrap. They’ll stay fresh for 3 to 4 days covered in the refrigerator. If you are planning on freezing them, I’d recommend freezing without the cream cheese frosting and then adding that fresh. Let the bars cool completely, then wrap and place in a freezer bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw until no longer frozen, then spread the frosting on top.
More pumpkin desserts you’ll love:
- Pumpkin blondies
- Cream cheese pumpkin roll
- Pumpkin streusel coffee cake
- Moist pumpkin bread
- Pumpkin cheesecake recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 16 ounces pumpkin puree , I prefer Libby's
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice , add an extra 1/2 teaspoon if you like spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 15×10" jelly roll pan and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin and vanilla just until combined. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and spices. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spread the batter in the greased pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes clean. Allow to cool.
- For the frosting, cream together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add a pinch of salt and cinnamon if desired.
- Spread frosting on top of the pumpkin bars with a spatula. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon or pumpkin spice if desired.
- Slice into squares. Top with a candy pumpkin if desired.