An easy 5-ingredient maple cream cheese frosting that’s rich, creamy, smooth and tangy. The perfect topping to finish off your favorite cakes, cupcakes, cookies and more!
Tangy and Sweet Maple Frosting
The simple addition of the maple syrup gives it a sweet and slightly caramelized flavor, while still maintaining the tang from the cream cheese. It’s the perfect combination of creamy and fluffy, with a richness that will leave you craving more and more.
It’s super simple to whip up and you only need 5 ingredients to get started. Your mixer does all of the work for you, so there’s no heavy lifting required. In just 10 quick minutes, you’ll have a deliciously smooth maple frosting that adds the perfect finishing touch on all your baked goods!
This frosting works great for piping on top of cookies, cake & cupcakes. We especially love piping it on top of pumpkin spice cupcakes, soft pumpkin cookies and these apple pie cupcakes. It takes any fall dessert up a notch!
If you’re a beginner that wants to learn how to frost the perfect cupcakes (or cake or cookies), check out these tips below:
- Tools. I like to use a 1M star tip, a large coupler and these disposable frosting bags to pipe frosting on top of my desserts. They are simple tools that make a big difference in presentation.
- Consistency. The frosting should be thick and sturdy enough to hold a point. If it’s too thin to keep it’s shape, mix in more powdered sugar.
- Quantity. If using a tip, this recipe will frost about 12 cupcakes. I’d recommend doubling the recipe if you are making more than that.
- Cup method. Any easy, mess-free way to transfer the frosting to a piping bag is to place the tip inside the coupler and then inside the bag. Then place the bag inside a tall cup and fold over the top of the bag. Then scoop the frosting into the bag.
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to boost the flavor even more.
- A few spoonful’s of milk or heavy cream will give it a drippier consistency, similar to a cream cheese glaze. This would taste delicious drizzled on top of pumpkin crumb muffins or a pumpkin bundt cake.
- Mix in a Tablespoon of fresh maple syrup for even more maple flavor.
How to Store Maple Frosting
Any leftover frosting will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. It is also recommended that you refrigerate any desserts that you’ve frosted with this recipe because of the dairy in the cream cheese.
Ways to Use Maple Cream Frosting:
- Frost on your favorite sugar cookies
- Use as a filling in pumpkin whoopie pies
- Use to frost cinnamon rolls
- Spread on top of pumpkin bars
- Pipe on carrot cake cupcakes
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter , softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar , more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- Combine the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar slowly and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and maple extract. If necessary, add more powdered sugar until the frosting is firm enough to hold its shape but still light and fluffy.
- Frost on cupcakes, cookies or your favorite dessert.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!