Light and tender pumpkin spice cupcakes with a rich and sweet maple cream cheese frosting. Easy to make and full of delicious pumpkin flavor!
Who else is excited for fall? As soon as I send the kids back to school, I start dreaming about crisp autumn days, warm homemade hot chocolate, fuzzy sweaters, apple cider and of course these delicious pumpkin cupcakes.
These are the perfect fall dessert! They’re easy to make (you don’t even need a mixer!) and are full of delicious pumpkin flavor. The pumpkin also makes these cupcakes super moist and tender and the sweet maple cream cheese frosting is the perfect complement to the subtle spice. My kids were happy to get in the kitchen and help me make these and I love that the recipe is simple enough that they can help! I think their favorite part was definitely sampling the frosting, but they all really enjoyed the cupcakes as well. :)
How to make pumpkin spice cupcakes
MIX. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, sugars, oil and eggs. Then stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until combined. Scoop the batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners, filling about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full.
BAKE. Bake at 350°F for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
FROST. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. Beat together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Then beat in the vanilla and maple extract. You want the frosting to be able to hold a point, so add in more powdered sugar if needed. Then frost the cupcakes and enjoy!
- This recipe can easily be turned into mini cupcakes. The batter should make around 24 mini cupcakes.
- If you don’t have maple extract, feel free to make a classic cream cheese frosting.
- A buttercream frosting would also taste delicious on top.
- Check out these tips for frosting the perfect cupcake.
- To make more festive, I like to top with colored sprinkles, candy corn or candy pumpkins.
More delicious pumpkin desserts:
- Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese pumpkin roll
- Pumpkin cream cheese bread
- Pumpkin whoopie pies
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
For the maple cream cheese frosting:
- 8 Tablespoons butter (softened)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar, canola oil and eggs and mix until well blended. Mix in the flour mixture until combined.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin, filling 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool on a rack.
- For the frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar slowly and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and maple extract. If necessary, add more powdered sugar until the frosting is firm enough to hold its shape but still light and fluffy. Frost the cooled pumpkin spice cupcakes and enjoy!
Recipe and photography contributed by Alicia from The Baker Upstairs for I Heart Naptime.