Crispy baked tortilla chips topped with melted cheese, chicken and all your favorite toppings. These sheet pan nachos make an easy dinner, appetizer or snack that’s ready in just 20 minutes!
Whenever we have leftover shredded chicken, we almost always make these baked chicken nachos. They require hardly any work and are super flavorful and delicious. You can add as many (or as little) toppings as you’d like. The more, the better in my opinion. :)
Nachos are everything that’s right in the world. The warm and crispy tortilla chips topped with golden, bubbly cheese is absolute perfection. Then you have ALL the extra toppings like tomatoes, sour cream, sliced olives and cilantro piled on top. Seriously what dreams are made of!
They key to making amazing nachos is baking them in the oven. You can make baked skillet nachos or use a sheet pan like I did when making this recipe. The oven helps prevent them from getting soggy and makes them perfectly warm and melted. You’ll never make nachos any other way!
How to make sheet pan nachos
- LAYER. Grab a large baking sheet and add a single layer of tortilla chips on the pan. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top (about 1 cup) and then add another layer of tortilla chips and cheese. Then add a layer of shredded chicken.
- BAKE. Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake at 375°F until the cheese is golden and bubbly. This usually takes about 10 or 15 minutes.
- TOP. Remove from oven and immediately layer on any additional toppings. Then serve while warm!
Favorite nacho toppings
You can’t go wrong when piling on your favorites! There are so many delicious nacho toppings and combinations that taste delicious. Try adding any of the extras below:
- Shredded chicken (or salsa chicken or salsa verde chicken)
- Diced tomatoes
- Red onion
- Sour cream
- Sliced radishes
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Queso or nacho cheese dip
Tips + variations
- Grate your own cheese. This is the KEY to the best nachos! The pre-shredded bags contain extra additives that make it harder for the cheese to melt. If you grate your own block of cheese, it will be super melty and bubbly. Nacho perfection!
- Chips. Make sure you buy thick tortilla chips so that they’re sturdy enough to hold all the toppings. You can also make your own homemade tortilla chips for a more authentic taste.
- Meat. You can use other types of meat, like taco meat, carnitas or kalua pork.
- Vegetarian. Feel free to skip the meat all together and replace with black or refried beans.
- Sauce. For more flavor, add a few spoonful’s of enchilada sauce on top of the chicken. You can also make BBQ nachos by adding a few spoonful’s of BBQ sauce.
Other Mexican favorites:
- 15-minute Mexican pizza
- 7-layer dip
- Slow cooker chicken taco bowls
- Cheesy chicken enchilada dip
- Taco casserole
Sheet Pan Nachos
- 1-2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1-2 cups freshly grated mozzarella , monterey jack or fontina cheese
- 11 ounce bag tortilla chips , thick ones work best
- 1-2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
Optional toppings: diced tomatoes, chopped red onions, sliced olives, sliced radishes, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the tortilla chips in a single layer onto a baking sheet. Add a layer of cheese (about 1 cup). Repeat, so that you have 2 layers of chips. Top the final layer of chips with the remaining cheese and shredded chicken. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly hot.
- Top with cilantro after you pull out of the oven and then add your favorite toppings, just before serving. Serve immediately.