Celebrate taco night with these juicy steak tacos! Coated in a a flavorful marinade, then served with warm tortillas and all your favorite toppings. A delicious dinner idea that will be on repeat!
Most night we usually make our tacos with taco meat, so when we choose steak instead, it’s always a treat. It has such great flavor and really takes the tacos up a notch. My whole family can never get enough!
Steak tacos are one of my favorite variations of tacos. There’s nothing better than juicy and flavorful steak on a warm tortilla. I still remember going to this taco truck in high school that had the best steak tacos and it was always such a treat. Now I can make them at home!
You can use flour or corn tortillas for these tacos. The tortillas will make or break a good taco though, so make sure you’re buying them fresh. If I’m using flour tortillas, I love to buy the uncooked tortillas and warm them on the skillet before serving. If I’m buying corn tortillas, I like to wrap them in a damp paper towel and then microwave them for about 10 seconds before serving. If you want to make the ultimate steak taco, try making homemade tortillas. YUM!
The steak taco marinade is a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper (amounts included in printable recipe below). I like to pour the ingredients into a large zip top bag or bowl and shake or stir until the mixture is combined. Then add the meat pieces and let marinate for at least 30 minutes (up to 5 hours). The longer it marinates, the more flavor the steak will have.
How to make steak tacos
- Heat. Once the meat has had time to marinate, heat the skillet with the remaining olive oil.
- Cook. Add the steak and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the meat has browned.
- Serve. Serve in warm tortillas with favorite toppings of choice.
Grilling method: If you’d prefer to cook the steak on the grill, simply grill the meat over medium-high heat for about 4 to 5 minutes per side until brown. Then remove from the grill, let rest for a few minutes and then slice into strips.
Steak taco toppings
Don’t skimp out on the toppings! That’s the best part. Below are some of my favorites to add. There are so many other toppings that would taste delicious too, like grilled corn, diced tomatoes, pickled onions or even a drizzle of some creamy cilantro lime dressing.
- Onion: I prefer red onion to add a little bit of color, but sweet onions taste great.
- Cilantro: Freshly chopped cilantro adds the perfect flavor and color.
- Lime: An extra squeeze of lime juice adds the perfect amount of flavor.
- Cheese: You can use any type of cheese, but I love using cotija cheese for these tacos.
- Sour cream: A little dollop goes a long way.
- Avocado: I love adding fresh avocado or guacamole. It adds the perfect balance.
Other favorite taco recipes:
Steak Taco Recipe
Steak taco marinade
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce , or coconut aminos
- 2 limes , juiced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar , or honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak , cut into bite sized pieces
For serving: 6" flour or corn tortillas, onion, cilantro, lime, cotija cheese, sour cream, avocado or guacamole
Steak taco marinade:
- Place 3 Tablespoons olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in a large bowl or gallon-sized zip-top bag. Stir or shake until combined. Place meat inside the bag and let sit for at least 30 minutes (up to 5 hours). If you have more time, let it sit longer.
- Place the remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the steak and cook until the meat has browned (about 5-6 minutes), or has reach desired doneness. Alternatively you can grill the whole steak until it reaches desired doneness and then slice just before serving.
- Serve steak in warm tortillas with desired toppings.