This homemade fresh strawberry pie is made with a flaky crust, cheesecake filling and is bursting with fresh strawberries. One of our favorite Summer desserts!
As soon as strawberries are in season, bring on all the baking! Fresh strawberry desserts are so delicious and have the best flavor. This pie is one of the first things I make, along with homemade strawberry jam, strawberry crumb bars and a strawberry rhubarb crisp.
I’m so excited that berries are back in season! Strawberries and raspberries are definitely some of my favorite fruits, so I love any excuse to bake with them. This strawberry pie that I’m sharing today is the perfect pie for Summer BBQ’s and I’ll even make it for Thanksgiving if I can find fresh strawberries. The bigger and juicer the strawberries, the better!
The flaky crust pairs so well with the sweet strawberry flavor and the richness of the cheesecake filling gives it that perfect creamy texture. If you’re in a hurry, you can always use a pre-made pie crust and strawberry glaze. I do love a good graham cracker crust with this recipe as well…it tastes just as delicious!
How to make strawberry pie
Cream layer. Beat the cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Then mix in whipping cream and vanilla on medium-high speed until a peak forms. If desired, sprinkle in some freshly grated lemon zest. Then spread the cream mixture onto the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
Strawberry layer. Place the fresh strawberries on top of the cream layer. Then make the strawberry glaze by heating water, sugar and cornstarch over medium heat until boiling. Cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, or until the mixture is clear and thick. Remove from heat and mix in the strawberry gelatin. Stir until the gelatin dissolves, about 1 more minute. Then pour the glaze evenly on top of the fresh strawberries.
Tips for the best results
- Use fresh, ripe strawberries. You want them to be red and juicy.
- For a thicker crust, use my homemade pie crust recipe. I cut it in half.
- You can also use a premade crust or a graham cracker crust.
- Before making the cream layer, I like to freeze my bowl and beaters. It speeds up the process.
- For a little extra boost in flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract in the cream mixture with the lemon zest.
- You can buy a premade strawberry glaze from the grocery, however I prefer the homemade version.
- Add whipped cream to the top with a piece of mint for a decorative touch.
More fresh strawberry desserts you’ll love:
- Strawberry shortcake biscuits
- Strawberry sour cream cake
- Strawberry cheesecake mousse
- No bake strawberry icebox cake
Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1 baked pie crust (completely cooled)
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened (1 block)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest from 1/2 lemon (optional)
- 2 pounds strawberries (washed, hulled and dried)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 ounce package strawberry gelatin
- Combine the cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. Beat until smooth. Add the whipping cream and vanilla and beat on medium-high speed until a peak forms. Add freshly grated lemon zest if desired. Spread onto the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
- Place the strawberries on top of the cream cheese layer. I like to layer two rows of sliced strawberries and one row of whole strawberries, however you could add all sliced to make it easier.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the water, sugar and cornstarch over medium heat. Stir constantly. Once it has come to a boil, cook an additional 1-2 minutes, or until it has become clear and thick. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin. Stir for one minute, or until the gelatin has dissolved. Allow to cool slightly (about 5-10 minutes), then pour evenly over the top of the strawberries, making sure they all get coated with the glaze.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, or until it has set. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Slice and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy a slice of this strawberry pie! It is one of my family’s favorite Summer treats. DIG IN!