Perfectly moist and soft sour cream cake filled with fresh strawberries. Then topped with a sweet lemon glaze to make the ultimate summer cake recipe!
I love baking with fresh fruit in the summer time. It adds the best sweet flavor and tastes absolutely delicious. This strawberry sour cream cake is one of my favorites to make, as well as glazed raspberry lemon cookies, blueberry buttermilk cake and glazed lemon cookies.
Summer time at our house means fresh strawberries! It’s their peak season, meaning they are so juicy and flavorful. And what better way to use them than make a moist and delicious strawberry sour cream cake?! It’s one of our favorite summer berry recipes.
This cake has the best soft texture and is filled with fresh diced strawberries. The secret ingredient (sour cream!) makes the cake extremely moist and adds so much flavor. It’s then topped with a nice lemon drizzle that gives the perfect sweet touch. Every bite is perfection!
We love to serve this cake with even more fresh strawberries. Sometimes we add a dollop of whipped cream too. Yum!
What does sour cream do in baking?
Sour cream is one of my favorite secret weapons when baking! I use it in all of my favorite recipes, like my chocolate cupcakes, sugar cookies and chocolate bundt cake. It makes baked goods SO moist and adds the absolute best soft texture. Trust me, once you bake with it, you’ll become obsessed like me!
- Grease the pan. Generously grease a 10-inch bundt pan with butter so that every crevice is covered. Also, make sure to dust the pan with flour as well, so that the cake will release from the pan easier.
- Beating the eggs. Beat in the eggs individually, one at a time. Sometimes when you add multiple eggs in at once, they only really mix with each other instead of getting evenly mixed into the butter and sugar mixture. By adding them one at a time, each egg will get emulsified into the butter.
- Fresh lemon. Don’t even think about using bottled lemon juice! Make sure to use FRESH lemon juice and zest for the absolute best flavor.
- Flour the strawberries. Before folding in the fresh strawberries, mix them together with 1/4 cup of flour. This will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the pan. Once they’re mixed, gently fold them into the batter with a spatula.
- Let cool. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 20-30 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. If you try to release too soon, the cake might stick to the pan.
The powdered sugar glaze on top is optional, however it does add the perfect sweet touch and looks so pretty! It’s definitely my favorite way to decorate this dessert. I love mixing it with a few Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to add even more flavor. However there are plenty of ways to tweak the glaze to suit your taste. Try any of the below:
- Feel free to swap the lemon juice with milk or strawberry juice.
- Make a cream cheese glaze for a more rich and tangy flavor.
- If your glaze is too thin, mix in more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, thin it out with more juice or milk.
- Use a spoon to drizzle it over the cake. Or you can pour the glaze into a zip top bag, cut one of the corners off and then pipe it on top of the cake.
More fresh strawberry desserts:
- Strawberry crumb bars
- Fresh strawberry pie
- Strawberry shortcake trifle
- Strawberry shortcake biscuits
- Cheesecake strawberry mousse
Strawberry Sour Cream Cake
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Whisk together 2 1/4 cups flour, baking soda and salt. Then add in lemon zest and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Next beat in eggs, one at a time. Then stir in 2 Tablespoons lemon juice. Alternate mixing the flour mixture and the sour cream into the butter/sugar mixture until all is incorporated.
- Mix diced strawberries with remaining 1/4 cup flour. Then gently fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Once cake has completely cooled, mix together powdered sugar and 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Drizzle glaze on top of cake with a spoon. Then slice and serve.