Easy homemade pizza sauce made with 5 ingredients in less than 5 minutes! Way more flavorful, inexpensive and delicious than store-bought sauce!
We make homemade pizzas almost every week at our house. Although we love to make different variations like BBQ chicken pizza or spinach pesto pizza, a classic red sauce with cheese and pepperoni is definitely the family favorite. So delicious!
Homemade pizza sauce is seriously so easy to make and is done in less than 5 minutes! Although store-bought may seem a little more convenient, trust me when I say you’ll never go back after making this easy recipe. It tastes way more fresh than store-bought and is super inexpensive. Plus it’s made with just 5 simple ingredients.
We love to use it on homemade pizza dough or when making french bread pizzas. It’s truly the perfect addition to any pizza and tastes so fresh and delicious. It’s also super healthy and is gluten-free, paleo, sugar-free and low carb. Yes please!
Difference between pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce
The main difference between pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce (also called marinara or pasta sauce) is the cooking method. Pizza sauce is typically uncooked and is made with either fresh or canned tomato and spices. Because it isn’t cooked prior to going in the oven, it results in a more fresh and strong tomato flavor.
On the other hand, spaghetti sauce is slowly simmered to create a more rich and deep flavor. It usually contains a few more spices and may also have a little more texture since many spaghetti sauces aren’t puréed. I also like to add ground beef to my spaghetti sauce to make it more hearty.
5 simple ingredients
- Tomato sauce: This is the base of the sauce.
- Basil: You can use dried basil or fresh from the garden.
- Oregano: An Italian herb that packs a punch of flavor.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic or garlic powder both work.
- Salt and pepper: Add as much or as little, to taste.
How to make pizza sauce
This recipe couldn’t be any easier! Seriously, no cooking required and it comes together in one bowl.
- WHISK. In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
- TASTE. If desired, add more seasonings like red pepper flakes or sugar to taste.
- SPREAD. Spread on pizza dough and add desired toppings. Bake pizza according to directions.
Tips + variations
- Amount. This recipe makes enough for two 12-inch pizzas. You can half or even double the recipe depending on how many pizzas you are making.
- Fresh herbs. Use fresh basil, oregano and minced garlic for a bolder Italian flavor.
- Spice. Add in a few red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
- Sweeten. You can sprinkle in some sugar for a sweeter taste if preferred.
- To thicken: If you like it on the thicker side, try adding about 2 to 4 Tablespoons of tomato paste. I’d add 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is met. The tomato paste will add a bolder tomato flavor, but it still tastes just as delicious!
Storing + freezing
Pizza sauce will keep for about 3 to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. I like to store any leftover sauce in a glass mason jar. It also freezes well, too. Simply place in a zip top bag and freeze up to 4 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator or place in warm water to thaw.
Other ways to use pizza sauce
If you have leftover sauce, there are plenty of other ways to use it up! Check out some of our favorites below.
- Pizza chicken roll ups
- French bread pizzas
- Pizza pinwheels
- For dipping with breadsticks or garlic cheese rolls
- Pizza dip
More homemade Italian sauces:
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil , or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic , or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
S&P, to taste
- Whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like to start with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add more seasonings to taste. If you like a little heat, add some crushed red pepper flakes. If you like a sweeter sauce, add 1-2 teaspoons sugar.
- Spread out on pizza dough and add desired toppings. Bake according to dough directions.