Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce – Made with 5 ingredients in less than 5 minutes! Way more flavorful, inexpensive and delicious than store-bought sauce!
I love to make homemade pizza sauce rather than buying it at the store. It’s easy, inexpensive and has way more flavor. Some of my other favorite sauces to make from scratch are pesto, alfredo, bolognese, white pizza sauce and balsamic glaze.
Homemade pizza sauce is seriously so easy to make and is done in less than 5 minutes! Although store-bought sauce may seem a little more convenient, trust me when I say you’ll never go back after making this easy pizza sauce recipe. It tastes way more fresh than store-bought sauce and is super inexpensive. Plus it’s made with just 5 simple ingredients.
We love to use this easy pizza sauce on homemade pizza dough or when making french bread pizzas. It’s truly the perfect addition to any pizza and tastes so fresh and delicious. It’s also super healthy and is gluten-free, paleo, sugar-free and low carb. Yes please!
What is the difference between pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce?
The main difference between pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce (also called marinara or pasta sauce) is the cooking method. Pizza sauce is typically uncooked and is made with either fresh or canned tomato and spices. Because the sauce isn’t cooked prior to going in the oven, it results in a more fresh and strong tomato flavor.
On the other hand, spaghetti sauce is slowly simmered to create a more rich and deep flavor. It usually contains a few more spices and may also have a little more texture since many spaghetti sauces aren’t puréed.
Pizza sauce ingredients
It only takes 5 simple ingredients to make this easy pizza sauce recipe! Feel free to any additional spices if desired, like red pepper flakes for heat or sugar for a sweeter pizza sauce.
- Tomato sauce
- Basil (fresh or dried)
- Garlic (minced or powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make pizza sauce
This pizza sauce recipe couldn’t be any easier! Seriously, no cooking required and it comes together in one bowl. Check out the simple steps below to get started and scroll down for the printable pizza sauce recipe .
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for pizza sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired, add more seasonings like red pepper flakes or sugar.
- Spread pizza sauce on pizza dough and add desired toppings. Bake pizza according to directions.
Should pizza sauce be cooked?
No, the beauty of this easy pizza sauce recipe is that it doesn’t require any cooking! No need to simmer like pasta sauce or marinara sauce. Once the uncooked sauce is baked, it results in a fresher taste with amazing tomato flavor.
How to make pizza sauce thicker
If you like your pizza sauce on the thicker side, try adding about 2 to 4 Tablespoons of tomato paste. I’d add 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is met. The tomato paste will add a bolder tomato flavor, but it still tastes just as delicious!
How long can you store pizza sauce?
This homemade pizza sauce will keep for about 3 to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. I like to store any leftover sauce in a glass mason jar.
This pizza sauce also freezes well. Simply place in a zip top bag or freezer container and freeze up to 4 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator or place in warm water to thaw.
What else can I use pizza sauce for?
If you have leftover pizza sauce, there are plenty of other ways to use it up! Check out some of our favorites below.
- Pizza chicken roll ups
- French bread pizzas
- Pizza pinwheels
- For dipping with breadsticks or garlic cheese rolls
Pizza Sauce Recipe
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil , or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic , or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
S&P, to taste
- Whisk together the pizza sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like to start with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add more seasonings to taste. If you like a little heat, add some crushed red pepper flakes. If you like a sweeter sauce, add 1-2 teaspoons sugar.
- Spread out on pizza dough and add desired toppings. Bake according to dough directions.