This easy cinnamon roll frosting is rich, creamy and has the perfect amount of sweetness. Made with just 5 simple ingredients in less than 5 minutes!
This is my favorite recipe to use for homemade cinnamon rolls. It’s a combination of my favorite buttercream frosting and cream cheese frosting. It is so creamy with just the right amount of sweetness.
This is the best cinnamon roll frosting! It’s smooth and creamy, with a delicious sweet flavor. It adds the perfect richness to baked goods and is so easy to whip up. You only need 5 simple ingredients and it can be made in less than 5 minutes.
We love to use this frosting for cinnamon rolls, but it also works great for sugar cookies, cinnamon roll cookies and even banana bars. And let’s be honest, you can even enjoy it by the spoonful. Because how can you resist?!
5 simple ingredients
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Milk or cream
How to make cinnamon roll frosting
- MIX. Beat the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and beat just until combined and fluffy.
- ADJUST. Taste and add more salt or vanilla if needed. If the mixture is too thick, add a Tablespoon or two of milk or cream. Too make it thicker or more sweet, add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar.
- SPREAD. Once ready, spread the frosting on top of warm cinnamon rolls with a spatula.
TIP: If you prefer a drippier consistency, add more milk to make it more of a cream cheese glaze.
Make ahead + storage
Whenever I make my overnight cinnamon rolls, I always make this recipe the night before too. That way everything is knocked out and ready to go the next morning. Once you’ve made the cinnamon roll icing, it will keep for about 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. So you could even make it a couple days in advance if you want!
More recipes you’ll love:
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- Orange Sweet Rolls
- Churro Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cinnamon Sugar Crescent Rolls
Cinnamon Roll Frosting Recipe
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat just until combined and fluffy. Do not over mix. Add a Tablespoon or two of milk or heavy cream as needed.
- Taste and add a pinch of salt and more vanilla if desired. You can also add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar if you'd like it a little sweeter or thicker. Or add more milk or cream if you want it more of a glaze consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Then spread over top of warm cinnamon rolls.