This easy cinnamon roll frosting is rich, creamy and has the perfect amount of sweetness. Made with just 5 simple ingredients in less than 5 minutes!
Table of Contents
Cream Cheese Frosting for Cinnamon Rolls
This is my favorite recipe to use for homemade cinnamon rolls. It’s a combination of my favorite buttercream frosting and cream cheese frosting. It is so creamy with just the right amount of sweetness.
It’s smooth and creamy, with a delicious sweet flavor. It adds the perfect richness to baked goods and is so easy to whip up. You only need 5 simple ingredients and it can be made in less than 5 minutes.
We love to use this frosting for cinnamon rolls, but it also works great for sugar cookies, cinnamon roll cookies and even banana bars. And let’s be honest, you can even enjoy it by the spoonful. Because how can you resist?!
Why This Recipe Works
- Creamy and tangy. The perfect compliment to the sweet cinnamon sugar baked rolls, all thanks to the softened cream cheese included in this recipe.
- Quick and easy. Made with just 5 ingredients in 5 minutes, this homemade cinnamon roll frosting beats the store-bought icing in flavor, texture and all around deliciousness!
- Versatile. Use it all year long! Spread on top of raspberry sweet rolls in the spring, pumpkin cinnamon rolls in the fall and over Christmas sugar cookies during the holiday season.
5 Simple Ingredients
- Cream cheese: Make sure you soften the cream cheese before using.
- Butter: Unsalted, softened butter works best. Learn how to soften butter quickly if you’re in a pinch.
- Powdered sugar: Use more for a thicker consistency and less for a thinner consistency.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract adds a nice boost of flavor.
- Milk: Use as needed for a thinner or drippier consistency. Cream will also work.
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Frosting
- Mix. Beat the softened cream cheese and softened butter until smooth. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and beat just until combined and fluffy.
- Adjust. Taste and add more salt or vanilla if needed. If the mixture is too thick, add a Tablespoon or two of milk or cream. Too make it thicker or more sweet, add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar.
- Spread. Once ready, spread the frosting on top of warm cinnamon rolls with a spatula.
More Ways to Use Cinnamon Roll Frosting
This frosting isn’t just for cinnamon rolls! It’s also the perfect finishing touch to any sweet bread, cookies or dessert.
- Spread over orange sweet rolls.
- Piped on top of ricotta cookies or sugar cookie bars.
- As a topping for cinnamon roll pancakes or a filling for crepes.
- Drizzled over this easy cinnamon roll monkey bread.
- For frosting red velvet brownies or my favorite pumpkin bars.
Spread the frosting over the cinnamon rolls after they are done baking. I usually wait about 10 or so minutes before adding it on top, so that it doesn’t melt completely from the hot rolls.
I prefer the tangy flavor that the cream cheese adds, however making it without will taste more like a classic buttercream.
You could even replace the cream cheese with sour cream to make a tangy sour cream frosting. A powdered sugar icing is another great alternative!
Make Ahead + Storage
Whenever I make my overnight cinnamon rolls, I always make this recipe the night before too. That way everything is knocked out and ready to go the next morning. Once you’ve made the cinnamon roll icing, it will keep for about 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. So you could even make it a couple days in advance if you want!
More Recipes You’ll Love
Cinnamon Roll Frosting Recipe
- 2-3 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 6 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 ½ – 2 cups powdered sugar , more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Milk or cream , as needed
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat just until combined and fluffy. Do not over mix. Add a Tablespoon or two of milk or heavy cream as needed.
- Taste and add a pinch of salt and more vanilla if desired. You can also add 1/2 cup more powdered sugar if you'd like it a little sweeter or thicker. Or add more milk or cream if you want it more of a glaze consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Then spread over top of warm cinnamon rolls.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!