This cheesy chicken enchilada casserole is the perfect dish for busy weeknights. Only takes 5 ingredients to make, 15 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to bake. It doesn’t get easier than that!
We love enchiladas at our house. This dish is another way to enjoy the tasty flavors without having to actually roll them. Everything is layered together in a casserole dish to make an easy and delicious weeknight meal.
This chicken enchilada casserole is one of my kid’s favorite dishes. And one of mine too because of how easy it is to throw together! I love it because you can prep it in the morning and bake later in the afternoon. It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
Another plus about this dish is that it’s great for using up leftover chicken. I love to use shredded chicken, salsa verde chicken or rotisserie chicken. It makes it so simple to quickly layer all of the ingredients in the pan and bake. Easy peasy!
How to make chicken enchilada casserole
LAYER. Pour about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a greased 9-inch casserole dish. Place tortillas over the sauce until the pan is covered. Add 1/3 of the remaining sauce on top, 1/3 of the chicken and 1/3 of the beans. Then sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the beans. Repeat for 2 more layers.
BAKE. Cover the pan with foil, then bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered until the cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes. Once out of the oven, let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
SERVE. Add favorite toppings like cilantro, chopped red bell pepper, sliced olives and sour cream. Enjoy!
- Have leftover taco meat or steak? Use that instead.
- Make this a vegetarian dish by leaving out the meat and adding vegetables such as bell pepper or corn.
- You could use pinto, white or kidney beans, or a combination of both.
- Use flour tortillas instead of corn.
- If you prefer green enchilada sauce, you can definitely use that in place of red.
Make ahead + freezing tips
Making in advance: Prep the casserole as directed, then cover with foil. Place in fridge until ready to bake. Remove from fridge and let sit at room temperature while the oven warms up. Then bake according to directions.
Freezer instructions: Assemble in a freezer container and wrap tightly. Then store the unbaked casserole in the freezer. The night before serving, let thaw in the fridge overnight. Then bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes covered and 10 to 15 minutes uncovered.
More enchilada inspired dishes:
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Easy Beef Enchiladas
- One Pot Enchilada Pasta
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce , I prefer La Victoria
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 1-2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
Optional toppings: cilantro, red bell pepper, tomatoes, avocado, sliced olives, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside. Pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the pan with about 3 tortillas (you'll need to break one in half). Then add 1/3 of the remaining sauce on top, 1/3 of the chicken and 1/3 of the beans. Then sprinkle on 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat for 2 more layers.
- Place foil over the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Then bake 10 more minutes uncovered, or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy.