Delicious layers of noodles, meat sauce and melted cheese cooked to perfection in the crockpot! Only 10 minutes of prep, making this easy crockpot lasagna recipe great for busy weeknights. Sure to be a family favorite!
Table of Contents
Easiest Slow Cooker Lasagna
This crockpot lasagna is SO easy and is a meal that my whole family loves. Now don’t get me wrong, it may not taste as authentic as a true classic Italian lasagna, but it’s perfect for busy nights and want to throw something in the crockpot before the kids get home.
This easy crockpot lasagna only takes 10 minutes of prep and the slow cooker does the rest of the work! No need to boil the noodles first before adding to the pot. It’s just as easy as my crockpot lasagna soup and will definitely become a staple in your dinner rotation.
Sometimes we like to sneak in some vegetables with the meat mixture, like with this chicken Alfredo lasagna recipe or we’ll serve it with green beans, corn, broccoli or a side salad.
This lasagna also tastes amazing with a warm piece of French bread or garlic bread. So easy and absolutely delicious!
The ingredients needed for this crockpot lasagna recipe are much like those when making the traditional version. Nothing fancy required, with flexibility on a few on the ingredients which I’ll mention more about below!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Meat: I prefer to use a mix of ground beef and ground Italian sausage for the best flavor. Feel free to use ground beef only if you would prefer not to include pork.
- Noodles: Classic uncooked lasagna noodles are what you’ll need when making crockpot lasagna. The noodles will cook through and get tender as they slow cook all day.
- Cheese: Three types of cheese are included in this recipe for crockpot lasagna. You’ll need ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan for the cheese filling.
- Spaghetti sauce: Use a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce or make homemade marinara sauce if you’re really trying to impress your guests!
- Egg: Used as a binder in the cheese filling so that it holds it’s shape and stays firm.
- Italian seasoning: An easy way to add more Italian flavor to this dish. Use a store-bought jar or make your own homemade Italian seasoning with a simple mix of spices.
- Onion: Freshly chopped onions cook with the beef and sausage as they brown to add even more flavor.
This easy crockpot lasagna is pretty customizable, so feel free to make it your own! Use ground turkey in place of beef and pork for a lighter alternative, or swap ricotta for cottage cheese if preferred. You can also add in extra seasonings like parsley, oregano or red pepper flakes for some heat!
How to Make Crockpot Lasagna
Once you make this recipe for crockpot lasagna, you won’t want to make it any other way! Follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Brown the meat. Cook the hamburger and sausage in pan on the stove until the meat browns. If there is any grease in the pan after the meat is cooked, drain it out. Add in the Italian seasoning and chopped onions and cook until the onions are translucent. Then stir in the spaghetti sauce with 1/2 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix ricotta. While the meat sauce simmers, combine the ricotta cheese, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan and egg. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add sauce and noodles. In the bottom of the crockpot, spread about 1 cup of the meat sauce. Then top with 3 uncooked lasagna noodles. If they don’t fit perfectly in the pot, you can carefully break off the edges to make them fit.
- Add ricotta. Spread about 1/3 of the creamy ricotta mixture evenly over top of the noodles. Repeat with 2 more layers of sauce, noodles and ricotta.
- Sprinkle mozzarella. Once you’re done layering, pour 1/2 cup water around the edges in the crockpot. Then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cook. Cover with the lid and cook on the low setting for about 4 to 5 hours. You’ll know it’s ready when the noodles are tender.
- Half beef and half sausage. Use a mix of hamburger and Italian sausage for great flavor. Usually I cook up 2 pounds of meat with the onions and then freeze half of it for later. That way, the next time I may this crock pot lasagna (or a baked ziti), I already have the meat cooked and ready to go.
- Fitting noodles in crockpot. Gently break off the corners of the lasagna noodles so that they’ll fit nicely in the slow cooker. But don’t worry, no one will ever notice once the cheese is on top!
- For a softer noodle. Soak your noodles in water for a few minutes if you prefer a softer noodle. If you prefer al dente, follow instructions below.
- Add toppings. Top with fresh basil or parsley for an extra punch in flavor.
No! That’s one of the main things that makes this crockpot lasagna recipe so easy. You use uncooked lasagna noodles and layer them into the crockpot. The noodles will soften up perfectly as the crockpot lasagna cooks. Once the lasagna is done, they will be perfectly tender and have a great texture!
This easy lasagna recipe takes about 4 to 5 hours to cook in the crockpot (on the low setting). You want the cheese on top to be nice and bubbly, and the noodles to be fork tender. I would keep an eye on it at about the 4 hour mark, so that it doesn’t overcook and dry out.
I used an 8 quart crockpot. You want it to be big enough to hold multiple layers of sauce, cheese and noodles, much like a traditional lasagna. The 8 quart size was perfect, leaving a few inches of room at the top.
5 star review
“Just made this today for tonight’s supper. It was delicious! My husband went back for thirds. I will definitely make this again.”-Theresa
Love lasagna recipes? Be sure to make this white lasagna soup recipe next!
More Easy Italian FavoritesBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Crockpot Lasagna Recipe
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage , could also use ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce , or marinara sauce
- 1 cup water , divided
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 9-12 lasagna noodles , uncooked
Optional for serving: Fresh basil
- Spray the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the hamburger and Italian sausage. Drain fat and stir in Italian seasoning and onions. Cook until onions are soft and stir in the sauce with 1/2 cup water. Simmer 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, in a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg until combined.
- Spread about 1 cup sauce onto the bottom of the crock pot. Top with 3 noodles (you may need to break some noodles to fit). Spread about 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles. Repeat with 2 more layers, or until all of the remaining ingredients are used.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup water around the sides of the layers. If your noodles are thick, add an extra 2 Tablespoons water. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Cook on low 4 to 5 hours, or until the noodles are tender. Turn off crockpot and let sit 15 minutes before slicing into 8 portions to serve. Top with fresh basil, if desired.
- Vegetarian: Just omit the meat and use some veggies like sliced eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, etc.
- Veggies: Amp up the veggies by adding spinach to the ricotta mixture or mushrooms to the sauce.
- Ground turkey: Swap the beef for turkey if you’d prefer a leaner meat.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Very easy to make and delish!!
Thanks for your comment and review, Lu! :)
It was very good but a little dry
I mads this dish with a few tweeks . first i made a home made tomato sauce. Second i used cottage cheese in stead of the ricotta i personally like it better. Turned out fabulous. Kudos on the cook behind this recipe
So glad you loved the recipe! The homemade tomato sauce and cottage cheese sound like delicious substitutions :)
This was so delicious and so easy. I will never make lasagna any other way!
So glad you enjoyed it, Jessica!
Super easy. Mine was very tender right at 4 hours. I used ground turkey and it could have used a bit more spice but otherwise is a great recipe for busy days and group meals. I will make again! Thanks for sharing
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
So easy and delicious! I like the fact that you can control the amount of cheese you want to use and I used vegan cheese and meatless crumbles which worked great.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
My friends loved it. Its awesome and easy. I added Italian link sausage, cut up.
I’m so glad they loved it! :)
Awesome recipe and my family love this dish.
I’m so happy to hear that!
How many does this serve?
This lasagna was so good! Easy to make and bonus the leftovers were great too!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!