This pumpkin pie crunch cake is perfect for pumpkin lovers everywhere! Delicious layers of brown sugar crumb cake and pumpkin pie filling baked together. Top with pecans, vanilla ice cream and salted caramel for the best ever fall treat.
Table of Contents
Favorite Fall Treat
As I ran into the store the other day for milk, I spotted pretty much everything pumpkin and before I knew it…my whole shopping cart was full of fall goodies. Once I was stocked up on pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice, I knew I had to make this pumpkin pie crunch for you all.
I’ve adapted this pumpkin crunch cake over the years and it is one of my family’s favorites pumpkin recipes for ringing in the fall season. The pecan crunch on top is what really takes it over the top and reminds me of the crumb topping on a pumpkin coffee cake or even these pecan pie bars. It’s really easy to make and is a great addition (or substitution) to pumpkin pie.
Top with a scoop or vanilla ice cream and caramel (trust me!) and you’ll be in heaven. Gah, this is seriously my favorite fall dessert. I can’t wait to make it again.
An Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
I typically refer to this cake as a “pumpkin dump cake.” If you’ve never heard of a dump cake before, it’s literally just an easy cake recipe where you can dump all of the ingredients in a pan and bake! This recipe has 3 layers – the bottom and top layers are the cake mix crumb topping and the middle layer is the pumpkin filling. You just dump the layers in the pan, then bake! So so easy…you can’t mess it up!
How to Make Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- First layer: An easy crumb topping made with yellow cake mix, softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. It has a lumpy texture, similar to a crumble topping. Sprinkle half of the mixture onto the bottom of the pan (reserving the other half for later).
- Second layer: Next comes an easy pumpkin pie filling made with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, sugar, evaporated milk and eggs. It tastes just like the filling inside of a classic pumpkin pie. Pour it over the crumb topping and then spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Third layer: The final layer is the remaining crumb topping. Sprinkle the mixture over the pie filling until most of the filling is covered. Feel free to add pecans on top of the 3rd layer for added crunch.
DON’T FORGET THE TOPPINGS!
I also HIGHLY recommend serving with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It just adds the perfect cool flavor. This salted caramel sauce adds a great touch as well!
Variations for Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Nuts. We always do half with pecans and half without, since my kids prefer no nuts. Chopped walnuts would also make a great addition.
- Cake mix. Feel free to use spice cake mix for a bolder fall flavor.
- Layering. Instead of splitting the crumb topping in half, you can add the filling into the pan and then sprinkle all of the crumb mixture on top.
- Topping. This would also taste delicious with a streusel topping with oats. It would have less of a cakey texture and would taste similar to a pumpkin crisp.
5 star review
So good, my husband and I both agreed I would never need to make pumpkin pie again. This cake is so much better!– Jessie V
More Fall Desserts To Try:
- Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
- Apple Cobbler
- Spice Cake Mix Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Easy Pumpkin Crisp
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
For the crumb topping:
- 15 ounces yellow cake mix , 1 box
- 3/4 cup salted butter , softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the filling:
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin , 1 can
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ounces evaporated milk , 1 can (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans , if desired
- ice cream or caramel sauce , if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13″ baking pan and set aside. In a medium size bowl, stir together the cake mix, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread half the crumb mixture into the bottom of your pan.
- For the second layer, combine the pumpkin, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, pumpkin spice and vanilla in a separate bowl. Mix until combined and then pour over your first layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top. Add pecans if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 55 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Allow to cool. Top with whipped cream, ice cream and/or caramel sauce if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
ENJOY! Happy fall friends!
Simple and quick and very good. I often crush granola bars on top before cooking to add to that sweet crunchy taste. Thank you for sharing.
Love the idea of crushed granola bars! That sounds so delicious :)
Came out delicious
Making it for additional dessert for Thks giving
Not too sweet
Good heated up
So glad you love the recipe! Thank you for your comment and review :)
Looks good I am wondering if I can use a spiced cake instead of the yellow cake
I haven’t tried but I think that should work just fine!
Can you make this a day before? I’m afraid the crumble on the bottom might get soggy?
It should be fine to make the day before. The topping may be a little softer the next day though.
Rave reviews from the 12 people who had it. My son has requested it for his deer hunting treat!
That’s great news! Thanks for your comment and review, Barbara :)
I took this to a ladies social at church. I had so many asking for the recipe! So delicious! Made it again the next day for a funeral lunch. Thanks so much for an easy yummy desert!!
This makes me SO happy to hear, thanks for sharing Keena! :)
I got rave reviews from everyone at our Family Fall Pumpkin/Squash Harvest potluck. Many had seconds and I came home with an empty pan! My son has requested it for his Deer Hunting Treat;-). It’s being added to our Family Favs.
This makes me so happy to hear! Thanks for your comment and review, Barbara :)
This cake was such a hit here last night! Everyone just loved the crunch and flavors! Absolutely delicious and very addicting. Definitely a cake I’ll make again!
Perfect for pumpkin lovers! This pumpkin pie crunch cake or pumpkin dump cake is awesome, so moist and flavorful, with a great crunch from the pecans. Such a great cake for Fall.