This homemade hummus is is super easy to make, smooth, creamy and perfect for any occasion. Tastes amazing served with fresh veggies, pita bread, chips or crackers.
Homemade hummus is super simple to make and tastes so much more authentic and fresh than store bought. This hummus dip is one of my favorite appetizers…I could literally snack on it all day! Not only is it delicious, but it’s healthy too. The hummus is packed with protein from the chickpeas and healthy fats from the tahini and olive oil. It tastes great served with fresh veggies or pita chips or bread.
What is hummus?
Hummus is a classic dip/spread that comes from the Middle East and Middle Eastern cuisine. The base starts with smashed chick peas (garbanzo beans), tahini and garlic. Then you can dress up the flavor with lemon, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper and fresh parsley.
- Chickpeas: The base of hummus starts with chickpeas AKA garbanzo beans. I always buy them canned.
- Tahini: Tahini is basically ground sesame seeds. Make sure to buy a high quality tahini (such as Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Baron’s brand) for your hummus.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic for this hummus and feel free to add an extra clove if you love the garlic flavor.
- Lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice is really important. Don’t use the canned stuff.
- Olive oil: I love the creaminess the olive oil adds to this hummus. Another item to buy high quality.
- Salt: A fine sea salt is perfect.
- Ground cumin: This adds an extra depth of flavor and a tiny bit of kick.
- Cold water: This will help create an extra smooth hummus.
How to make Hummus
- SIMMER the chickpeas in a pot of water with 1 teaspoon baking soda for about 15 minutes, or until the skins are removed. Drain and run under cool water.
- BLEND the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and cumin in a food processor or blender until smooth. Next blend in the cold water. Then add the chickpeas and drizzle in the oil while blending. Blend until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- TOP with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh chopped parsley. Then serve with your favorite veggies or crackers.
Variations + tips
- Add baking soda to the pot when simmering the chickpeas. This helps soften them so that the skins come off.
- When blending in water, make sure it’s cold water. This helps create an extra creamy and fluffy texture.
- I used canned chickpeas for convenience, but you can also cook dried chickpeas from scratch on the stove. Just be sure to soak them beforehand and then let them cook a little longer than usual (for a super soft texture).
- Roast the garlic first for even more flavor.
Before serving the hummus, try garnishing with any of the following:
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Toasted pine nuts
- Dash of cumin, sumac or paprika
- More whole cooked chickpeas
Ways to use Hummus
- Perfect for dipping vegetables.
- Spread onto pita bread, naan bread and crackers.
- Add to a mezze platter or vegetable platter.
- Use any leftover hummus as a sauce for pasta. Simply thin with a little pasta water and add fresh veggies.
- Add to your favorite sandwich or chicken gyro.
- Add a spoonful on top of a Mediterranean salad or Greek salad.
More Greek dip recipes:
- 15 ounce chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced, about 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons cold water (more as needed)
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil (more if needed)
- Pepper (to taste)
Optional toppings: olive oil, fresh parsley, toasted pine nuts, dash of cumin, sumac or paprika
- Add the chickpeas to a pot of water with the baking soda. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the skin has come off. Drain and run under cool water.
- Combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and cumin to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Then add in the cold water and blend until smooth.
- Next add the cooled chickpeas and then drizzle in the olive oil while blending. Blend until smooth. Add an additional Tablespoon of cold water if needed to smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a little more lemon juice if desired.
- Top hummus with fresh parsley and a drizzle of olive oil if desired. Serve with your favorite vegetables or pita chips and enjoy!