Crispy baked lemon pepper wings are so juicy and flavorful without deep frying! With a citrusy and peppery taste, these chicken wings are a hit for either a casual meal or on game day.
Table of Contents
Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Lemon pepper wings are just one of many flavors you can add to your repertoire of baked chicken wings that are crispy on the outside, juicy, and fall off the bone tender on the inside, without any deep frying or heavy grease!
There’s something so tasty about the citrus flavoring from homemade lemon pepper seasoning blend that is so addicting! Bake chicken wings until crispy in the oven or air fryer for an easy appetizer then serve with homemade ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Why This Recipe Works
- Just 3 ingredients. Use e a store-bought seasoning or a homemade blend for this easy lemon pepper wings recipe. Either way delivers major flavor.
- Amazingly crispy. The baking powder is like magic. It helps to crisp up the meat so beautifully!
- Versatile. There’s never a wrong time for chicken wings! Appetizers, snacks, lunch, or dinner. Game day, potlucks, Super Bowl parties, you name it! Bake them or air fry them, the results are always amazing.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Chicken wings: For this recipe, I use fresh not frozen. If using frozen, make sure they are completely thawed and thoroughly patted dry. Remove the wing tips, and make sure the drumettes are separated from the wingettes.
- Baking powder: This coating will help to absorb moisture and help to get a nice crispy skin.
- Lemon pepper seasoning: As I’ve mentioned before, I LOVE making my own seasoning blends. This one is a combination of dried lemon zest, black pepper, and kosher salt. So easy!
How to Make Lemon Pepper Wings
- Season the chicken. Place baking powder and seasoning in a zip-top bag. Shake until the drummettes and wingettes are completely coated.
- Arrange the wings. Assemble them in a single layer on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake until golden brown. Bake in a preheated 425ºF oven for 30-40 minutes or until crispy, flipping halfway. For crispy chicken wings, it’s important to turn them over so they crisp evenly on both sides.
- Rest and serve. Once they are done, let them sit and rest for a few minutes. Serve with your favorite sides, dipping sauce, and maybe a couple of lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Expert Tips for the Best Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- Save time. Purchase wings that have already been separated, that way you don’t have to worry about it.
- Dry the meat completely. Excess moisture is not your friend! It will only create steam and soggy wings.
- Spray the baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a gentle brush of olive oil or vegetable oil, but not too much!
- Top the baking sheet with a wire rack and place the chicken on it to bake if you want them less greasy. The juices will fall between the grill and onto the sheet pan.
They don’t take long at all to cook since they’re so small. Once you see them super crispy on the outside and the juices are running clear, you can bet they’re done.
A more accurate way to tell is by using a meat thermometer. If it reads 165ºF, they’re ready.
Absolutely! Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, layer the wings in a single layer (you may need to do this in batches), and bake at 400ºF for 16 minutes, flipping halfway.
We are not deep frying them, so instead we use the secret ingredient known as baking powder!
A few other key points to remember are to pat them dry to remove excess moisture, spread them far enough apart so that the heat can circulate the entire wing, cook them in an air fryer or a rack on a baking sheet in the oven, and do not use too much oil.
Bake as directed then make a lemon pepper sauce by combining lemon pepper seasoning and melted butter. Add some honey if you would like similar to my baked lemon chicken. You could also just toss the crispy baked wings in the lemon pepper butter sauce after removing them from the oven.
Whether you are serving these as part of a complete meal and need a few sides or as part of an appetizer spread, these sides go well with the ultra-crispy chicken wings.
- Potato side dishes: Try mashed potatoes, homemade french fries, or air fryer potato skins for some comfort food sides.
- Salad: For something a little lighter, try these with a Caesar salad.
- Appetizer: For game day, serve with jalapeno poppers and your favorite dips.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Reheat: Pop chicken wings back into the oven or use the air fryer. You can also use the microwave, but they will not crisp back up like they will using the other methods.
More Appetizer RecipesBrowse all
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- 1 ½ pounds chicken wings (about 20 fresh, not frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Place a wire rack on the pan if you'd like them less greasy.
- Make sure your wings tips are removed and separated into wings and drums if they are not already. Pat your wings dry with a paper towel. Make sure they are completely dry.
- Place the baking powder and lemon pepper in a zip-top bag. Shake until combined. Add the chicken and shake until coated. Place wings in a single layer on top of the rack.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until crispy, flipping halfway through. Let sit a few minutes.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!