Soft and moist pumpkin bread filled with delicious fall flavors. A classic fall recipe that will become one of your favorites!
Table of Contents
Favorite Fall Quick Bread
With fall approaching, you better believe I’ll be making all of my favorite quick breads. This recipe is a must, as well as apple pull-apart bread, caramel apple monkey bread and my sweet cornbread.
When I think of fall recipes, moist pumpkin bread is one of the first thing that comes to mind. It’s a classic recipe that everyone always loves and looks forward to enjoying once the season hits.
What I love about baking with pumpkin puree is how moist and soft it makes the texture of your baked goods. And this bread is no exception. It has the best texture and is full of delicious pumpkin flavor. We love to enjoy a slice of warm pumpkin bread with a slab of butter. Sometimes we even add chocolate chips to give it an extra sweet flavor. So easy and super yummy!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Pumpkin: You can either use canned pumpkin or make your own homemade pumpkin puree. If using canned, make sure to buy 100% pure pumpkin puree and not the pumpkin pie filling. The filling has extra sugar and spices that will alter the flavor of the bread.
- Oil: Using vegetable oil instead of butter creates a more moist and tender texture.
- Pumpkin spice: Gives the bread the perfect fall flavor. Buy it premade, or make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice by mixing a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Baking staples: As with most quick bread recipes, you’ll need standard ingredients such as all-purpose flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips to make chocolate chip pumpkin bread.
- Chopped walnuts, pecans or raisins would taste great folded into the batter.
- Sprinkle a crumble topping on top of the batter right before baking.
- You can add a creamy cheesecake layer in the middle, similar to this pumpkin cream cheese bread.
- Add some ripe mashed bananas to the batter to make pumpkin banana bread.
- Drizzle a powdered sugar glaze on top for some added sweetness.
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
- Mix dry ingredients. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin spice in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and water. Slowly add dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
- Bake. Pour the batter in a greased 9×5″ loaf pan and bake at 350°F for 60-65 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cool. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
This recipe works great for pumpkin muffins too. Prepare batter as directed, then pour into muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Use the spoon and level technique to accurately measure the flour without a scale. Adding too much or too little flour can cause the bread to become dry or dense.
- Line the loaf pan with parchment paper and leave about 2-3 inches of overhang on the sides (similar to photo above) for easy removal.
- Make sure not to over mix the batter, or else your bread can dry out and won’t be as soft.
- Use a toothpick to test if the bread is done. Stick the toothpick in the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. If there is batter on the toothpick, continue baking for a few more minutes and retest.
5 star review
My kitchen smelled amazing! Absolutely delicious pumpkin bread. I added the chocolate chips & it was perfect!– Sherry
It will stay fresh in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days at room temperature or up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
This can cause the bread to dry out, so it won’t be as moist and tender. Stop mixing the batter as soon as you no longer see streaks of flour throughout.
The top will be lightly browned and a toothpick should come out clean from the center of the loaf. If there is still batter on the toothpick, let the pumpkin bread bake for a few more minutes and then retest.
Great for Freezing!
This recipe is perfect for freezing! Because it’s so moist and delicious, it doesn’t dry out in the freezer. When I’m planning on freezing mine, I usually double the recipe and freeze one of the loaves for later.
- To freeze: Make sure it has cooled completely, then wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Place the wrapped loaf in a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. I like to add a freezer label on top with the name and date made, so that I know when to use the bread by.
- To thaw: Let thaw in the fridge overnight before enjoying. You can also let it sit at room temperature for a few hours to thaw as well. Just be sure to keep it wrapped when thawing so that it stays moist!
More Pumpkin Recipes to Try
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5" loaf pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and water. Slowly add flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix just until combined.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then remove onto a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
My kitchen smelled amazing ! Absolutely delicious pumpkin bread, i added the chocolate chips & it was perfect !
So glad you enjoyed it :)
Great pumpkin bread recipe – moist and delicious 😋
This comes out moist and tender! Loved it!
I’m so glad you loved it!
My husband and daughter gobbled this up so quick! They loved this! I will definitely be making this again!
This couldn’t look any more perfect!
I’d love my slice with a pat of butter, too!
What a great way to start my day; I will definitely be making this over the weekend! Looks delicious!