Easy Mexican Lasagna – Delicious layers of crispy tortillas, seasoned hamburger, beans, corn and melted cheese. The perfect weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor!
This Mexican lasagna is a combination of my love for both Mexican food and easy meals. It has tons of flavor and is so simple to whip up. Some of my other favorite easy Mexican dinner recipes are taco casserole, ground beef tacos, Mexican chicken casserole, one pot burrito bowls and Mexican stuffed shells.
Mexican lasagna with tortillas
My all-time favorite food is Mexican. I could eat it every single night. So I decided to take one of my favorite recipes, taco soup, and turn it into Mexican lasagna! I used a lot of the same ingredients and it turned out so yummy. My husband raved about it the whole night. Score!
This easy Mexican lasagna is one of our go-to weeknight meals and is a big family favorite. The flavor is amazing and the layers of crispy tortillas, seasoned hamburger, beans, corn and cheese are to die for. We love to add all the yummy toppings like sour cream, cilantro, sliced olives and tomatoes. It also tastes great served with cilantro lime rice or Mexican rice. So, so delicious!
What’s in Mexican lasagna?
- Tortillas: I recommend using small corn tortillas. They may overlap a little when you layer them in and that’s totally okay.
- Pepper: I like to use a red bell pepper, but you could use yellow or orange too.
- Onions: You’ll need 1/2 onion that’s finely chopped. You could use about 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion too.
- Corn and beans: Add in 1 can (15 ounce) of both corn and beans.
- Tomatoes: You’ll need a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup salsa.
- Ground beef: I like to use lean ground beef, but you could sub with ground turkey if preferred.
- Taco seasoning: I use a homemade taco seasoning, but store-bought works fine too.
- Cream cheese: I love how creamy the cream cheese makes the lasagna. It adds the best texture!
- Shredded cheese: You’ll sprinkle each layer with shredded cheese. Cheddar cheese, Monterey jack or Mexican cheese are all great options.
- Toppings: We love to add on toppings like sour cream, guacamole, olives, cilantro, diced tomatoes and jalapenos
How to make Mexican lasagna
Scroll down for the printable Mexican lasagna recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Brown hamburger. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, brown hamburger. Add in onions and peppers and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove any extra grease.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Season with taco seasoning, then stir in Rotel, beans, corn and salsa. Add in cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir until combined then remove from heat.
- Assemble lasagna. Layer 5 tortillas in the bottom of your pan (they may overlap). Then sprinkle about 1/2 cup of cheese on the tortillas. Next layer half of the hamburger mixture. Add another 5 tortillas on top and repeat with the hamburger, beans and corn.
- Bake. Top with remaining cheese and then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly hot. Top with desired toppings.
What goes with Mexican lasagna?
We love to serve the Mexican lasagna with cilantro lime rice or Mexican rice. It also tastes great with Mexican street corn or a big Mexican salad. We often take the easy route too and serve with chips and salsa. All are delicious!
Can Mexican lasagna be frozen?
If you have leftovers, feel free to stick in the freezer to reheat for an easy and convenient dinner. Just wrap in saran wrap then place in a ziptop bag and store in the freezer.
You can also double the recipe and add to 2 separate baking pans (one for freezing and one for enjoying immediately). Assemble each lasagna pan, then pop one in the oven and tightly cover the other with plastic wrap or aluminum foil (do not bake). Place in the freezer on a leveled surface and freeze. When ready to enjoy, remove from fridge, let thaw, then bake.
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 10 corn tortillas , small
- 1 red bell pepper , core removed and diced
- 1/2 onion , finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained
- 15 ounce can corn , drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
Optional Toppings: sour cream, olives, cilantro, diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Brown hamburger in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add in onions and peppers and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove any extra grease.
- Next season with taco seasoning. Then add in Rotel, black beans, corn and salsa. Add in the cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir until combined then remove from heat.
- In your 9×13 pan, layer 5 tortillas (they may overlap). Then sprinkle about 1/2 cup of cheese on the tortillas. Next layer half of the hamburger mixture. Add another 5 tortillas on top and repeat with the hamburger, beans and corn.
- Top with remaining cheese and then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly hot.
- Top with desired toppings.
This Mexican lasagna is really easy to make and is definitely a crowd pleaser! Mmm… want a bite? ;) Enjoy!!