Easy Mexican lasagna with delicious layers of crispy tortillas, seasoned hamburger, beans, corn, and melted cheese. The perfect weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor!
Table of Contents
The Best Mexican Lasagna
This recipe is similar to my favorite slow cooker taco lasagna but made in the oven instead. It takes only 20 minutes to prep and is ready in less than an hour. It’s one of our favorite weeknight dinners and is loved by the whole family.
My all-time favorite food is Mexican. I could eat it every single night. So I decided to take one of my favorite recipes, taco soup, and turn it into Mexican lasagna! I used a lot of the same ingredients and it turned out so yummy. My husband raved about it the whole night!
This lasagna and my easy tostada recipe are some of our go-to weeknight meals and are family favorites. The flavor is amazing and the layers of crispy tortillas, easy taco meat recipe, beans, corn, and cheese are to die for. We love to add all the yummy toppings like sour cream, cilantro, sliced olives, and tomatoes. It also tastes great served with cilantro lime rice, Mexican rice, and my refried beans recipe. So, so delicious!
Ingredients for Easy Mexican Lasagna
Skip the lasagna noodles and layer with tortillas for this amazingly delicious Mexican casserole dish! It is layered with all your favorite classic Mexican ingredients that are right in your pantry. This Mexican lasagna recipe is a family favorite in our home!
- Tortillas: I recommend using small corn tortillas. They may overlap a little when you layer them in and that’s totally okay. You can also use small flour tortillas as well.
- Pepper: I like to use red bell pepper, but you could use yellow or orange too.
- Onions: You’ll need 1/2 onion that’s finely chopped. You could use about 1/2 cup of frozen chopped onion too.
- Corn and beans: Add 1 can (15 ounces) of both corn and beans.
- Tomatoes: You’ll need a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup salsa.
- Ground beef: I like to use lean ground beef, but you could substitute it with ground turkey if preferred.
- Taco seasoning: I use homemade taco seasoning, but store-bought works fine too.
- Cream cheese: This gives it that delicious creamy texture.
- Shredded cheese: You’ll sprinkle each layer with shredded cheese. Cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, pepper jack, or Mexican blend cheese are all great options.
How to Make Mexican Lasagna
Mexican food is one of our favorite types of meals to make! They are quick, easy, and full of flavor. This classic Mexican Lasana is a meal that will become a favorite after the first bite. It is layered with the best ingredients and seasoned to perfection!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Brown hamburger. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the hamburger. Add onions and peppers to the meat mixture and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove any extra grease.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Season with taco seasoning, then stir in Rotel, beans, corn, and salsa. Add in cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir until combined then remove from heat.
- Assemble lasagna. Layer 5 tortillas in the bottom of your baking dish (they may overlap). Then sprinkle about 1/2 cup of cheese on the tortillas. Next layer half of the hamburger mixture. Add another 5 tortillas on top and repeat with the hamburger, beans, and corn.
- Bake. Top with remaining cheese and then bake the casserole dish for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly hot. Top with desired toppings (favorites below).
This Mexican lasagna is a fun twist on traditional Italian lasagna! The recipe has some variations and is easy to make on a busy weeknight. Add these toppings to your easy Mexican lasagna for an unforgettable dinner at home!
- Sour cream
- Sliced black olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Green chiles
- Sliced avocado or homemade guacamole
Mexican lasagna is also known as taco lasagna or Mexican casserole. This lasagna is layered with corn tortillas, ground beef, green chiles, beans, salsa, and cheese. This is a family favorite dinner!
Lasagna is a layered dish that fits into a baking casserole dish that is baked in the oven. There are several variations of lasagna. There are meat, vegetable, or cheese, and now Mexican lasagna dishes.
This Mexican lasagna is a carried-down traditional meal. This casserole comes from the Aztecs. Mexican lasagna is known as Pastel de Moctezuma.
5 star review
“I rarely leave reviews for recipes, but this was fantastic. My husband approved! We are picky and both loved it!”-Jennifer
If you have leftovers, feel free to stick them in the freezer to reheat for an easy and convenient dinner. Just wrap in saran wrap then place in a ziptop bag and store in the freezer.
You can also double the recipe and add to 2 separate baking dishes (one for freezing and one for enjoying immediately). Assemble each lasagna pan, then pop one in the oven and tightly cover the other with plastic wrap or aluminum foil (do not bake). Place in the freezer on a leveled surface and freeze. When ready to enjoy, remove from fridge, let thaw, then bake according to directions.
More Easy Mexican Dinners
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper , core removed and diced
- ½ onion , finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 10 ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained
- 15 ounce can corn , drained
- ½ cup salsa
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
Optional Toppings: sour cream, olives, cilantro, diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13" pan with cooking spray.
- Brown hamburger in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add in onions and peppers and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove any extra grease.
- Next season with taco seasoning. Then add in Rotel, black beans, corn and salsa. Add in the cream cheese and allow to melt. Stir until combined then remove from heat.
- In your 9×13 pan, layer 5 tortillas (they may overlap). Then sprinkle about 1/2 cup of cheese on the tortillas. Next layer half of the hamburger mixture. Add another 5 tortillas on top and repeat with the hamburger, beans and corn.
- Top with remaining cheese and then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly hot.
- Top with desired toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I love this recipe! I add fresh sliced serrano peppers to make it comfortable for my home, but this dish is always gone at the end of the meal.
Okay, this instantly has become a new go-to recipe for our family. The flavors are so good and this is really easy to make!
So glad you enjoyed the Mexican lasagna!
One our favorite recipes. It’s so easy and such a crowd pleaser. We serve with sour cream and avocado!
This Mexican Lasagna was so easy to make and a hit with my family! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!