This apple nachos recipe is made with crisp sliced apples topped and layered with melted peanut butter, honey, and chocolate chips. This snack idea creates a healthy sweet treat perfect for any occasion.
Table of Contents
Apple Peanut Butter Nachos
Indulge in a guilt-free treat with with apple nachos, where crisp apple slices replace tortilla chips as the base! Topped with a mouthwatering melted peanut butter drizzle and chocolate chips.
It’s the perfect snack that satisfies your sweet tooth without sacrificing health. Ready in only 5-minutes, it’s a fun, vegan and gluten-free way to eat more fresh fruit!
The peanut butter provides some much-needed protein and good fat to balance out the natural sugars in the apple and honey and the chocolate chips pair well with everything. If you’re looking for a great way to jazz up your fresh fruit platter with minimal effort, this is it!
- Use a variety of apples like Fuji apples, honey crisp, gala, or tart green apples like granny smith.
- Sliced apples are best consumed immediately. If you are preparing them a bit ahead of time, squirt them with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Keep in mind they will be slightly sour!
- A big plate of apple nachos is fun for sharing! You can also put sliced apples on individual plates and have everyone pick their toppings.
Favorite Toppings for Apple Nachos
Peanut butter, honey, and chocolate are a classic combination but it’s just one of many. Here are some more topping ideas to make this a healthy snack or a delicious dessert:
- Add hot fudge or chocolate drizzle from melted chocolate instead of or with the peanut butter.
- If you love caramel apples you’ll love caramel sauce on top!
- Swap the honey for maple syrup.
- Sprinkle granola or muesli (Use gluten-free oats to keep it a gluten-free snack).
- Raisins, goji berries, or cranberries (also goes nicely with peanut butter and honey).
- M&Ms – Instead of or along with chocolate chips.
- Coconut flakes, crushed nuts, seeds, hemp hearts, or chia seeds.
- White chocolate chips, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips.
- A different kind of nut butter like almond butter.
- Toffee bits, crushed pretzels, or candy bars. Snickers is a fun one because it already has chocolate and peanut butter in it.
- Mini marshmallows or melted marshmallows.
Yes! It is not only tasty but full of nutrients as apples contain fiber and peanut butter protein. It’s a great treat that is healthy, too!
Firm, crisp apples that hold up well to slicing are the best to use. Try Fuji, Honeycrisp, Gala or even Granny Smith. Ambrosia apples are another favorite.
Browning is a natural occurrence as the enzymes from the cut apples react to the oxygen in the air. Citric acid can help slow down the browning. Squeeze lemon juice over the apple wedges or minimize exposure to the air by storing them in water.
Yes, you can store them covered in the refrigerator for a few days. Although, they will turn brown unless you have squeezed lemon or another fruit juice over them.
More Healthy Snack Ideas:
- Slice the apples into thin slices, just before ready to serve.
- Line apples on top of a plate. Place peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Place peanut butter in a zip top bag and snip off the edge. You could also use a spoon. Then drizzle the peanut butter over top. Drizzle the honey on top of the apples and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Best served within the hour.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!